+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a PR card renewal after landing using a PRTD acquired through H&C

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Hi! I just landed in Canada (again) yesterday using a PRTD I got through Humanitarian and Conpassionate reasons. However, the guy at immigration at the airport said that CIC could still reject my PR Card renewal if they think I don't meet the requirements? I don't get it. I already received a PRTD, passed immigration at the airport, but could still be rejected for a PR Card? It doesn't make sense :| my uncle said the office was probably just scaring me to see if I had anything to hide or if I was telling the truth.

A little help here please?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
algdantes said:
Hi! I just landed in Canada (again) yesterday using a PRTD I got through Humanitarian and Conpassionate reasons. However, the guy at immigration at the airport said that CIC could still reject my PR Card renewal if they think I don't meet the requirements? I don't get it. I already received a PRTD, passed immigration at the airport, but could still be rejected for a PR Card? It doesn't make sense :| my uncle said the office was probably just scaring me to see if I had anything to hide or if I was telling the truth.

You should be able to renew on the basis of a positive determination made by the visa office. This assumes that you have returned reasonably soon after the PRTD was issued. While in theory it's possible that CIC could oppose the H&C determination, it's very unlikely.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
algdantes said:

Just make sure the coding on your PR TD is "RC-1" which means a positive H&C decision and that you've overcome the residency obligation violation.

With this you are able to renew your PR card upon returning to Canada. Make sure you do it immediately so the H&C decision is still "fresh" on your record for the renewal.

If for some reason the officer processing the PR card renewal did reject it, you could appeal this and most likely you would win. There was another recent case where this happened and the appeals judge specifically said one is eligible to renew PR card with a recent positive H&C decision and so granted the appeal.

Also make sure you do not travel outside Canada until you get your PR card (or if the PR TD is multiple use). If you did travel and required a new PR TD, the officer processing the new PR TD app may not accept the H&C reason and deny the PR TD / start process to revoke PR status, regardless of the previous positive decision.

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
Rob_TO said:
Just make sure the coding on your PR TD is "RC-1" which means a positive H&C decision and that you've overcome the residency obligation violation.

With this you are able to renew your PR card upon returning to Canada. Make sure you do it immediately so the H&C decision is still "fresh" on your record for the renewal.

If for some reason the officer processing the PR card renewal did reject it, you could appeal this and most likely you would win. There was another recent case where this happened and the appeals judge specifically said one is eligible to renew PR card with a recent positive H&C decision and so granted the appeal.

Also make sure you do not travel outside Canada until you get your PR card (or if the PR TD is multiple use). If you did travel and required a new PR TD, the officer processing the new PR TD app may not accept the H&C reason and deny the PR TD / start process to revoke PR status, regardless of the previous positive decision.
Yep, the code on my PRTD is R-1. I'll be applying for my PR renewal today or tomorrow. Thanks to the both of you for your help! I feel a bit more confident about my card renewal now.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
algdantes said:
Yep, the code on my PRTD is R-1. I'll be applying for my PR renewal today or tomorrow. Thanks to the both of you for your help! I feel a bit more confident about my card renewal now.
Are you sure it was R-1 and not RC-1? Did you actually meet the RO when you applied for PR TD?

R-1 is a PR TD given on basis that you simply meet the RO.
RC-1 is that you don't meet the RO but have valid H&C reasons to overcome that.

A31(3) Travel document “R-1” counterfoil coding: Permanent
residents, without a permanent resident card, who comply with
the residency obligation: In those cases where an overseas applicant
for an A31(3) travel document is issued with an A31(3) travel document,
and an officer overseas has made a determination that the permanent
resident has complied with the residency obligation (A31(3)(a)), the
counterfoil coding is “R-1.”

A31(3) Travel document “RC-1” counterfoil coding: Permanent
residents without a permanent resident card / positive H&C case: In
those cases where an overseas applicant for an A31(3) travel document
is issued with an A31(3) travel document, and an officer overseas has
made a determination under A28(2)(c) on the basis of H&C
considerations, counterfoil coding is “RC-1.”

algdantes

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
My coding is definitely an R-1. The PRTD application I made back in Manila was filed under H&C grounds (I was taken out of Canada as a minor and had several other reasons for staying outside of Canada). I explained my situation to the immigration officers at the airport (that I filed under H&C) and they had no issues with the coding on my PRTD. All they did was check my PRTD, ask a few questions, explained that I have to file for a new PR Card, and sent me on my way.

asmolnik

Nov 16, 2017
Hey @algdantes , I am going through the process of applying for a PRTD based on H&C because I was also removed as a minor, I would like to chat with you and ask a few questions about the application. I don't have anyone to help and I don't know anyone who has gone through the process like we are. How can we get in touch? Thank you!!

darl500

Jul 3, 2018

Can you please help with an application letter template for H&C grounds based on your case (removed as a minor) to be submitted along with the PRTD application? Appreciate your time and support.

Mohdallababidi

Jun 8, 2018
Canada

May i know what is the processing times for applying for a pr card renewal after landing in canada with a PRTD RC-1 ?

And what is the chances of refusing the pr card renewal application ?

I applied the application on August 10, 2018
I landed in canada on July 15, 2018

ibrahimali

Sep 11, 2018

Hey,
Did you apply for a PR card yet? If yes, what is the timeline and what did you mention in the application?

Sep 4, 2018

anonymouscookie

Sep 13, 2021
Hello I have a question, so basically when I landed I got the pr but I was obviously a minor and unable to make a decision to stay in Canada so obviously my PR CARD expired. so this led me to apply for a prtd based on h&c grounds. now my question is when i go to Canada in a few weeks, i have filled out the pr application but left one section empty which is the residency obligation as I stayed outside of Canada for 1095 days or more. However, the situations they mention (absences while accompanying family member, family business etc) don't apply to me. So my question is, do i leave this section empty when i submit this application in hopes they will look at my file knowing I have a valid reason based on h&c grounds or do i submit a letter along with this application? can someone help me with this please. thank you. Also, I was issued the visa 24th of august and I'm traveling on the 22nd of sept. and its category RC-1, so can anyone please elaborate on this and provide me with good news, thanks.

anonymouscookie

Sep 13, 2021

Hello I have a question, so basically when I landed I got the pr but I was obviously a minor and unable to make a decision to stay in Canada so obviously my PR CARD expired. so this led me to apply for a prtd based on h&c grounds. now my question is when i go to Canada in a few weeks, i have filled out the pr application but left one section empty which is the residency obligation as I stayed outside of Canada for 1095 days or more. However, the situations they mention (absences while accompanying family member, family business etc) don't apply to me. So my question is, do i leave this section empty when i submit this application in hopes they will look at my file knowing I have a valid reason based on h&c grounds or do i submit a letter along with this application? can someone help me with this please. thank you. Also, I was issued the visa 24th of august and I'm traveling on the 22nd of sept. and its category RC-1, so can anyone please elaborate on this and provide me with good news, thanks.

asmolnik

Nov 16, 2017
Yes having a positive h&c will be sufficient for renewing your PR card. IRCC will have that information on your file.
As for absences, submit your travel history for the 5 years before the date you submit your application.
Congrats and best of luck!

Hijazi

Oct 12, 2021
Hi I have the same case for my family we got Rc-1 PRTD under H&C ground
I plan to travel next month November , can you update me with your case