+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a PR card renewal after landing using a PRTD acquired through H&C

chandnad

Jun 9, 2022
Hi I have the same case for my family we got Rc-1 PRTD under H&C ground
I plan to travel next month November , can you update me with your case
Hi, I am about to travel in a month's time. Can you share your experience with regard to what happened post your arrival in Canada?

MahSh

Mar 9, 2024
You should be able to renew on the basis of a positive determination made by the visa office. This assumes that you have returned reasonably soon after the PRTD was issued. While in theory it's possible that CIC could oppose the H&C determination, it's very unlikely.
what timeframe is considered “reasonably soon”. Is a little less than 4 months appropriate?

MahSh

Mar 9, 2024
Hi! I just landed in Canada (again) yesterday using a PRTD I got through Humanitarian and Conpassionate reasons. However, the guy at immigration at the airport said that CIC could still reject my PR Card renewal if they think I don't meet the requirements? I don't get it. I already received a PRTD, passed immigration at the airport, but could still be rejected for a PR Card? It doesn't make sense :| my uncle said the office was probably just scaring me to see if I had anything to hide or if I was telling the truth.

A little help here please?
hello. Could you let me know of the timeframe between which you got the positive h&c decision and when you actually travelled to canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
what timeframe is considered “reasonably soon”. Is a little less than 4 months appropriate?
There isn’t a set date but as soon as possible is always best option. You don’t have an approved PRTD so you still risk being reported at the border for not meeting RO. Entry into Canada is guaranteed if still a PR but you still risk getting reported without a valid PR card or a PRTD. When did you last enter Canada, how much time have you spent in Canada and when did your PR card expire? Given the H&C application was from 2019 assume this was not a clear cut decision if only recently approved.

MahSh

Mar 9, 2024
There isn’t a set date but as soon as possible is always best option. You don’t have an approved PRTD so you still risk being reported at the border for not meeting RO. Entry into Canada is guaranteed if still a PR but you still risk getting reported without a valid PR card or a PRTD. When did you last enter Canada, how much time have you spent in Canada and when did your PR card expire? Given the H&C application was from 2019 assume this was not a clear cut decision if only recently approved.
Entered canada last 2019 as a minor, not much time spent there.
Card expired july 2020. a44 report issued in june 2019 as a minor. Since 4-5 years had already passed without a response i didn’t even know there was a chance of keeping status. Report was set aside on h&c grounds this March.
How am i at risk of being reported? prtd on h&c is essentially a formal h&c decision allowing retention of status. I also have a formal h&c decision, the MD knew i wasn’t in canada during the timeframe

MahSh

Mar 9, 2024
I plan on taking with me all supporting documents including the email informing me of the MD decision, proof of enrollment into university, im also completing 2 online ontario highschool courses as program requirements for my university so proof of that as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I plan on taking with me all supporting documents including the email informing me of the MD decision, proof of enrollment into university, im also completing 2 online ontario highschool courses as program requirements for my university so proof of that as well.
Assume you are paying for these Ontario high school courses as a non-resident? Completing online courses from abroad with no history of Canada would not be viewed as H&C reasons. Getting reported at the border or being denied a PRTD based on H&C is often assessed independently than PR card renewals based on H&C. We have seen many times where PRTDs based on H&C have been denied while PR card based on H&C have been approved. An approved H&C certainly can’t hurt but you can be assessed for RO compliance at every attempt to enter Canada. It appears as though you never spent any time in Canada so may have spent less time in Canada than many international students. We have see IRCC stop approving many who have spent minimal time in Canada while family landed as PRs because many had discovered that being removed as a minor was being used to essentially attend postsecondary education for domestic tuition or secure residency for children. It is less expensive to secure PR for family while never settling than paying international tuition. Used to be easy to get approved up to 25 years old. U of T now seems to also be checking to ensure that students have valid PR cards since others would return without applying for H&C and wait out the 2 years and then apply for PR card renewal/provincial healthcare while attending school and paying domestic tuition. There will always be a risk of returning without being approved for PRTD based on H&C if you have not met RO. Hard to quantify the risk because it often comes down to luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Entered canada last 2019 as a minor, not much time spent there.
Card expired july 2020. a44 report issued in june 2019 as a minor. Since 4-5 years had already passed without a response i didn’t even know there was a chance of keeping status. Report was set aside on h&c grounds this March.
How am i at risk of being reported? prtd on h&c is essentially a formal h&c decision allowing retention of status. I also have a formal h&c decision, the MD knew i wasn’t in canada during the timeframe
PRTD based on H&C is entirely different than PR card renewal based on H&C. We have seen many times when one is approved while other is not. PRTD based on H&C seems to be used to prevent people from reaching Canada at times.