+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a PGWP and study permit simultaneously

May 25, 2021
I am a new graduate and wanted to apply for a PGWP however I am not confident of getting it (gap and part time sem). I also have a masters offer and was wondering what happens if I apply for a study permit to cover the case of pursuing a masters if I don’t get a PGWP? More specifically

1) What happens if I apply to extend the study permit then apply for a PGWP? Do I lose the right to work full time while I wait for a decision on my PGWP app?

2) Would applying for two different seemingly contradictory temp permits be problematic?

3) Lets say I get the PGWP and the study permit, in that case I would wanna work to make use of my PGWP. Would somehow getting a study permit but not pursuing studies be problematic in any way? Can I somehow smoothly “cancel” it? Does that affect any future residency apps in any way?

Feel free to skip any questions

Thanks in advance

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
I am a new graduate and wanted to apply for a PGWP however I am not confident of getting it (gap and part time sem). I also have a masters offer and was wondering what happens if I apply for a study permit to cover the case of pursuing a masters if I don’t get a PGWP? More specifically

1) What happens if I apply to extend the study permit then apply for a PGWP? Do I lose the right to work full time while I wait for a decision on my PGWP app?

2) Would applying for two different seemingly contradictory temp permits be problematic?

3) Lets say I get the PGWP and the study permit, in that case I would wanna work to make use of my PGWP. Would somehow getting a study permit but not pursuing studies be problematic in any way? Can I somehow smoothly “cancel” it? Does that affect any future residency apps in any way?

Thanks in advance
1. I believe that once you apply for PGWP, you should be able able to work full-time, as long as you have a valid study permit when you apply for PGWP.

2. It looks a little fishy, even from an ordinary person's perspective.

3. I am not sure about applying for both a study permit and PGWP. But a PGWP is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That means that once you receive a PGWP based on your completed bachelor's degree, you will not be able to get a new PGWP if you instead decide to go ahead and complete your master's degree.

If you are currently inside Canada, the best way to get clarification on these complicated scenarios is to call the IRCC Client Support Centre at the number available at this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html.

Canadian immigration seems to be a little forgiving due to the current pandemic. It would be best to apply for the PGWP with a good letter of explanation clearly stating the reasons behind your gap and part-time semester. All the best!

May 25, 2021
Thanks! Regarding 1) Kind of a stupid question, but just to make sure, do you know if applying to extend a study permit somehow devalidates my study permit till I get the permit extended? Because if that happens then when I apply to the PGWP I wouldn't have a valid study permit per say.

And yea I will call them. Thanks!

santzapaul

Aug 8, 2016
Thanks! Regarding 1) Kind of a stupid question, but just to make sure, do you know if applying to extend a study permit somehow devalidates my study permit till I get the permit extended? Because if that happens then when I apply to the PGWP I wouldn't have a valid study permit per say.

Again, I am not sure about this. But the best way to avoid this is to apply for the PGWP first while the study permit is valid and then apply for the study permit.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

No. Your SP will still be valid when you apply to extend. It doesnt mean applying for extension ends your current status, if i understood the question

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021

Thanks in advance
1. There is guidelines to deal with multiple applications from the same applicant. Most likely, they will process your first application first then the second one. This is somehow different from dual intent whereas you have temporary resident application and permanent application. Other exceptional is when one application is in litigation

2. i dont see any contradiction, its same as when you have SOWP but you want to study while your open permit is valid. You just need to apply for SP.

3.I dont have direct answer, but yes its a violation of your study permit if you do not attend your studies.There are implications and one of them is inadminissibility, but you need an expert to address this especially when you have other temporary status