AOR Received.
15-04-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Hi, I just got my BC PNP approval via e-mail (WOHOOOOO!!!!). Now I am supposed to submit my application to CIC, but it is my understanding that I can go to the border with my nomination letter, my job offer letter and passport to get a work permit "in the interim" until my permanent residency comes through? Can anyone explain how this work?

susana

Nov 4, 2008
Sorry, no , it doesn't work like you are saying. Your only option will be to apply for a bridging work permit if you have the requirements after receiving your CIC file number

nessjo

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
Doc's Request.
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
20-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Ok, that is interesting since the person that approved my BC PNP wrote this in an email to me:

I am pleased to inform you that your application to the BC Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) has been approved. Your nomination package will be sent to your mailing address within the next two weeks.
In the interim, I am attaching a Work Permit Issuance Support letter addressed to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that you can use to expedite your work permit extension request. You can take this letter to any Canadian land border crossing and get a new work permit. Please remember to take with you your passport and a copy of your employment contract or offer of employment letter.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to write or call.
Regards,

Does anyone else know? How do you know if you are supposed to flagpole at the US border or send in an application to CIC for a bridging visa?

susana said:
Sorry, no , it doesn't work like you are saying. Your only option will be to apply for a bridging work permit if you have the requirements after receiving your CIC file number

susana

Nov 4, 2008
You are one of the few that the Province is providing a supporting letter for the work permit. Before CIC changed the regulations for the bridging work permit, this was the usual practice in all Provinces to be able to extend your work permit without the HRSDC approval. Yours is not a bridging visa so follow the intructions in your letter and apply at the border.

It seems like BC PNP supports all his nominees . It doesn't happen in Alberta

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
nessjo, the information you got from PNP is correct. I did the exact thing you're wanting to do this past February.

So you take your nomination letter, your job offer, your passport and any other supporting documents that might help (basically to prove that you have a job in sight and that you can support yourself while you're waiting for you PR application to be processed), and go to the border. I got my work permit while coming back from a holiday from the US, on a Greyhound no less, so the process was super easy. I told the officer at the booth that I wanted to get a work permit, so he directed me to another officer further away. This officer didn't even ask for the paper application I had filled out just in case. He just took my papers, asked a few questions about my work and printed out the new work permit. Then I went to another officer who charged me $150 for the permit, and then I was done.

If you applied for PNP under an employment-driven stream, then you'll get a temporary permit (usually 1 year) that's tied to your occupation and has your NOC code listed in it. It's a closed permit so you can't use it with any other employer.

If you applied under a non-job-specific stream (like the Postgraduate stream), then I think you'll get an open permit, but I'm not sure since I had to get the closed permit.

If you don't get your PR during the validity of this work permit, then you need to apply for the bridging work permit, which you can apply 4 months before the expiration of your temporary permit. In order to apply for the bridging permit, you need to have received your PR file number from CIC (to basically prove that you've submitted your PR application and that they've received it) which you usually get within around 60 days of the date of submission.

Hope this helps!

nessjo

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
Doc's Request.
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
20-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
Awesome guys, thanks for your help! I will take my documents and head for the border tomorrow! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond :)

liisa227 said:
nessjo, the information you got from PNP is correct. I did the exact thing you're wanting to do this past February.

So you take your nomination letter, your job offer, your passport and any other supporting documents that might help (basically to prove that you have a job in sight and that you can support yourself while you're waiting for you PR application to be processed), and go to the border. I got my work permit while coming back from a holiday from the US, on a Greyhound no less, so the process was super easy. I told the officer at the booth that I wanted to get a work permit, so he directed me to another officer further away. This officer didn't even ask for the paper application I had filled out just in case. He just took my papers, asked a few questions about my work and printed out the new work permit. Then I went to another officer who charged me $150 for the permit, and then I was done.

If you applied for PNP under an employment-driven stream, then you'll get a temporary permit (usually 1 year) that's tied to your occupation and has your NOC code listed in it. It's a closed permit so you can't use it with any other employer.

If you applied under a non-job-specific stream (like the Postgraduate stream), then I think you'll get an open permit, but I'm not sure since I had to get the closed permit.

If you don't get your PR during the validity of this work permit, then you need to apply for the bridging work permit, which you can apply 4 months before the expiration of your temporary permit. In order to apply for the bridging permit, you need to have received your PR file number from CIC (to basically prove that you've submitted your PR application and that they've received it) which you usually get within around 60 days of the date of submission.

Hope this helps!

susana

Nov 4, 2008
I never said it was "incorrect" . He asked if he could go to the border with his nomination letter, which is not enough to get a new work permit. He did not mention he had a "Work Permit Issuance Support Letter" which is quite diferent than a Nomination Certificate.

liisa227

Star Member
Feb 25, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-06-2014
Nomination.....
04-02-2014
AOR Received.
27-08-2014
IELTS Request
not required
Med's Request
27-08-2014
Med's Done....
07-10-2014
Everyone I know who applied and was approved for BC PNP, including myself, got the support letter automatically with their approval letter. So to me it was obvious that "nomination letter" included the support letter as well. But either way, I'm glad nessjo is now able to go down to the border and get her papers done.

slaphead

May 9, 2013
hello just want to ask some suggestion, i'm already nominee here in NLPNP, cic refused my work permit application they said the offer of employment i submit is not valid, now my officer told me to apply for restoration and after that i need to re-apply my work permit, just wonder if possible i'll take my vacation going back to my country and when i come back here in canada how can i get my work permit? can i apply my work permit in toronto airport?
what document i need to provide to the officer in toronto airport

SMI2015

May 11, 2015
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
Nomination.....
05-05-2015
AOR Received.
29-07-2015
Hi guys!

I got nominated for PNP Alberta last Friday. I am trying to extend my work permit now. Which is the best option: applying online or doing a flagpole? I want to avoid going on implied status so say I do a flagpole can I get it done at the Niagara falls border in Ontario or does it has to be at the Alberta/BC border? Can I apply for a two yr extension considering the current processing time? If anyone can kindly help me with my questions please? Much appreciated.

nessjo

Star Member
Oct 9, 2014
Vancouver
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-05-2014
Doc's Request.
17-10-2014
Nomination.....
20-11-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
25-04-2015
Med's Done....
07-05-2015
SMI2015 said:
Hi guys!

I got nominated for PNP Alberta last Friday. I am trying to extend my work permit now. Which is the best option: applying online or doing a flagpole? I want to avoid going on implied status so say I do a flagpole can I get it done at the Niagara falls border in Ontario or does it has to be at the Alberta/BC border? Can I apply for a two yr extension considering the current processing time? If anyone can kindly help me with my questions please? Much appreciated.
Hi SMI2015, I can tell you about my experience and maybe you can take something away from that. I am pretty sure you can only apply online if you have received your AOR/file number from CIC (which is next in your process, the federal application). When I got approved by the BC PNP they issued a support letter to me, which said that my employer needed me to start working immediately and that they should approve my work permit, this I was to take to the border service agent. I flagpoled with this and I got a one year closed work permit with the employer who's name was on my support letter and my husband got a one year open wp. I never asked for more than one year so I am not sure, maybe you could get two if you tell them about the current long processing times.

I am not 100% sure if it works this way for Alberta PNP, I suggest that you call them and ask about this - usually the provincial people are way easier to deal with than CIC.

SMI2015

May 11, 2015
Calgary
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-05-2015
Nomination.....
05-05-2015
AOR Received.
29-07-2015
Thank you so much for the helpful info nessjo :)

Enigma222

May 24, 2015
Nessjo,

I was hopeful you could clarify some things for me.

What documents did you need to complete the flagpole?
Which border did you go to?
Where did you find the information about being able to go to the border?
Did you speak to the BC pnp people about this?

Thanks.
nessjo said:
Hi SMI2015, I can tell you about my experience and maybe you can take something away from that. I am pretty sure you can only apply online if you have received your AOR/file number from CIC (which is next in your process, the federal application). When I got approved by the BC PNP they issued a support letter to me, which said that my employer needed me to start working immediately and that they should approve my work permit, this I was to take to the border service agent. I flagpoled with this and I got a one year closed work permit with the employer who's name was on my support letter and my husband got a one year open wp. I never asked for more than one year so I am not sure, maybe you could get two if you tell them about the current long processing times.

I am not 100% sure if it works this way for Alberta PNP, I suggest that you call them and ask about this - usually the provincial people are way easier to deal with than CIC.

sweetyvenky1

Jan 14, 2014
I was recently nominated under skilled worker PNP, (there is employment restriction on my PNP)

I sent my application to CIO sydney
I have received my EP, UCI, AOR number now waiting for medicals
My work permit is going to expire on Nov 9th
now I am planning to apply for work permit at border by doing flagpoling.

Now my question is can I apply for open work permit because I received AOR , EP number from CIO sydney office even though there is restriction on my employment. (want to avoid my employer compliance fee).... (what kind of work permit iam eligible for had anyone had same issue befor plz share)

I called CIC call center many times but each time i am getting diffrent answers....

mahesh_amc

Oct 17, 2015
nessjo said:
Ok, that is interesting since the person that approved my BC PNP wrote this in an email to me:

I am pleased to inform you that your application to the BC Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) has been approved. Your nomination package will be sent to your mailing address within the next two weeks.
In the interim, I am attaching a Work Permit Issuance Support letter addressed to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) that you can use to expedite your work permit extension request. You can take this letter to any Canadian land border crossing and get a new work permit. Please remember to take with you your passport and a copy of your employment contract or offer of employment letter.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to write or call.
Regards,

Does anyone else know? How do you know if you are supposed to flagpole at the US border or send in an application to CIC for a bridging visa?
Dear Friend,

I applied work permit extension through NS provincial nomination on 9th July 2015, However lack of knowledge i have not submitted LMIA Exemption form (IMM5802).
I just informed my employer about my application they are going to give in next week (they going to prepare now )
i'm working with the same employer from last 18 months
So my question is can i submit after getting the LMIA exemption form ? if yes how i can submit cause i applied in online there is no option to upload the new documents.

i called customer care they said if CIC request for new docs then only i can submit those.
and they said there is 99% chances of getting rejected if they dont request these docs.

so my question is if i get rejected can i get closed permit at border (CBSA) ? by showing all the required documents.
right now i'm in implied status once i get rejected i will go the restoration period.

please help me your time and consideration is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mahesh