+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying early for PRC renewal

fkhan123

Dec 20, 2016
Hi the genius guys:

As per the available information, PRC renewal application can be done as early as 9-6 months before its expiry. Any idea what will be the issue and expiry dates on the next PRC? I mean, say for example, if every thing goes smoothly & it consumes the current routine processing time by the Immigration (1-2 months aprox), my current PR expires on Dec 31, 2107, application is made on Apr 01, 2017 or July 01, 2017, will the issue & expiry dates on the next one would be something like (issued on June 01, 2017 or Sept 01, 2017) and (expiry on June 01, 2022 or Sept 01, 2022)? Or no matter how early is it applied immigration will still wait for the issuance of the new PRC until the current one is about to be expired?

Your valuable thoughts and opinions again guys which help me in aligning my plans & will avoid a lot of hassle on my part.

Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
fkhan123 said:
Hi the genius guys:

As per the available information, PRC renewal application can be done as early as 9-6 months before its expiry. Any idea what will be the issue and expiry dates on the next PRC? I mean, say for example, if every thing goes smoothly & it consumes the current routine processing time by the Immigration (1-2 months aprox), my current PR expires on Dec 31, 2107, application is made on Apr 01, 2017 or July 01, 2017, will the issue & expiry dates on the next one would be something like (issued on June 01, 2017 or Sept 01, 2017) and (expiry on June 01, 2022 or Sept 01, 2022)? Or no matter how early is it applied immigration will still wait for the issuance of the new PRC until the current one is about to be expired?

Your valuable thoughts and opinions again guys which help me in aligning my plans & will avoid a lot of hassle on my part.

Thanks
The routinely processed application will result in the PR card being issued in approximately the time indicated for processing replacement card applications (39 days last I looked, recognizing this varies considerably from time to time); the expiry date on the PRC will be exactly five years to the day from the date the PRC is issued.

Depending on various factors, when the PRC is actually delivered to the PR can be from a week or two after date the PRC is issued, or many weeks or even months (for example, if an in-person pick-up is required, that could take place up to six months later). Delivery date has NO effect on when the PRC expires.

Expiry date of current or last PRC has no relevance for purposes of what date the new/replacement PRC is issued or will expire.

Of course the expiry date of current or last PRC can be a factor in other ways; application made more than nine months prior to PRC expiry date might be returned to PR without being processed for example.

Obviously, if the application ends up in a non-routine processing track, the date the PRC is issued will depend on when processing is finally completed. If there is a referral to Secondary Review, that can take many months, some longer than a year or even well over a year.

Additionally, sometimes a PRC is issued and during a counter-interview for a personal pick-up some concern is identified, leading to some further inquiry and delay in actually delivering the PRC. In such cases, the date of issuance (and thus the date of expiry) does not change even if it takes months for IRCC to finally decide to deliver the PRC. In other words, date PRC is delivered does not have any impact on what date the PRC shows as being issued, thus no impact on the expiry date.

Remember: assessment of PR Residency Obligation compliance is NOT affected by the date a PRC is issued or delivered. A PR with an almost brand new PRC arriving at a PoE can be reported and issued a Departure Order for non-compliance with the PR RO if that PR has been outside Canada for more than 1095 days within the preceding five years of that day, the day of arriving at the PoE, even if the PRC is valid for another four years or more. (This sometimes happens to PRs who are abroad but lucky enough that their PRC application results in the PRC being mailed to the address where a friend or family member collects it and sends it to the PR abroad . . . but then when the PR actually travels to Canada, the officer at the PoE perceives the breach of PR RO and a report and Departure Order are issued . . . again, even if the PRC is valid for another four or more years still.)

fkhan123

Dec 20, 2016
Thanks "depanabill":

Frankly, I still did not get answered for my specific query. I was trying to be get clarified on that say my current PRC (which is valid for 5 yrs) is expiring on Dec 31, 2017 and if I apply for renewal of it 9 or 6 months prior to the expiry i.e. just after 4 Yrs and 3 or 6 months have passed for the current PRC, will the IRCC process it within their current processing time (assuming my application is straight forward and is not picked for Secondary Review) and issue me a new PRC valid for next 5 Yrs right away or will keep it and wait until the expiry date on my current PRC is almost approaching and by then will start working on it?

Regards

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
fkhan123 said:
Thanks "depanabill":

Frankly, I still did not get answered for my specific query. I was trying to be get clarified on that say my current PRC (which is valid for 5 yrs) is expiring on Dec 31, 2017 and if I apply for renewal of it 9 or 6 months prior to the expiry i.e. just after 4 Yrs and 3 or 6 months have passed for the current PRC, will the IRCC process it within their current processing time (assuming my application is straight forward and is not picked for Secondary Review) and issue me a new PRC valid for next 5 Yrs right away or will keep it and wait until the expiry date on my current PRC is almost approaching and by then will start working on it?

Regards
Actually I did answer that question generally. No one can answer it specifically to you, since no one can guarantee whether or not your application will be processed routinely:

dpenabill said:
The routinely processed application will result in the PR card being issued in approximately the time indicated for processing replacement card applications (39 days last I looked, recognizing this varies considerably from time to time); the expiry date on the PRC will be exactly five years to the day from the date the PRC is issued.

. . .

Expiry date of current or last PRC has no relevance for purposes of what date the new/replacement PRC is issued or will expire.
Perhaps stating it another way will help:

As I previously posted, if your application is routinely processed, a new PRC will be issued in approximately the amount of time shown (by IRCC website) for processing replacement card applications. Recent trend as been 35 to 45 days. This has nothing to do with the date your current PRC expires. It depends on when your application is received at the Sydney processing center and how long IRCC is taking to routinely process applications received as of that date.

If your application is subject to non-routine processing, it will take longer to process and the date the new card is issued will depend on when a decision is made. This varies greatly. There are some PRs who have had their application bogged down in Secondary Review for well over a year. There can be other types of non-routine processing, resulting in delays ranging from short delays to longer ones.

Expiry date of new card will depend on the date the PRC is issued by Sydney, five years to the day.

Delivery date does not affect date the PRC is issued or will expire, even if the date of delivery is delayed for a long while after date PRC was issued.

Again, date your current card was issued or expires does not affect date next card is issued.

Any effect the date your current card expires might have would be an indirect effect on whether there was cause for non-routine processing. The likelihood of non-routine processing being influenced by the date of your current card's expiration is low unless there are other factors, when considered together, which lead an IRCC officer to have concerns.

ericsong

Jan 26, 2017
Hello. Someone could tell me how I can check out my status application to renew my PR.

I’m using my PR Card number which format is XXXX-XXXX but It doesn’t work.

Regards.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ericsong said:
Hello. Someone could tell me how I can check out my status application to renew my PR.

I’m using my PR Card number which format is XXXX-XXXX but It doesn’t work.

Regards.
PR card number is on the back of the PR card starting with "P"
The 8 digit xxxx-xxxx in the front of PR card is your client id#.
Use the appropriate dropdown on e-cas accordingly.

aviator33072

Dec 15, 2014
Hi frkhan 123 , can you please update on the result for the benefit of others. When did you apply and when did you receive new PRC and was it mailed to you ? And what was the expiry . Thank you. Many may benefit or at least be educated on the subject.

JaGirl

Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Nomination.....
PER 27-02-2015
AOR Received.
None Received
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
March 16, 2015
Med's Request
March 21 & May 27, 2015
Med's Done....
March 26 & June 01, 2015
Interview........
Hoping to be waived
Passport Req..
May 27, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
What a day that will be!
If I apply for renewal of my PRC, let's say it gets delayed due to second review and my current one expires.....what happens? I would be in Canada illegal at that time? Would i be able to work without getting the new one?

JaGirl

Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Nomination.....
PER 27-02-2015
AOR Received.
None Received
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
March 16, 2015
Med's Request
March 21 & May 27, 2015
Med's Done....
March 26 & June 01, 2015
Interview........
Hoping to be waived
Passport Req..
May 27, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
What a day that will be!
I won't be able to apply early because I wont meet RO until about 5 months prior to the expiry date of current card

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
If I apply for renewal of my PRC, let's say it gets delayed due to second review and my current one expires.....what happens? I would be in Canada illegal at that time? Would i be able to work without getting the new one?
Pr cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked. You really only need a valid PR card or a PRTD if you intend to leave the country at any point as you would need to show a valid card or PRTD to an airline to fly back.

JaGirl

Dec 10, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2014
Nomination.....
PER 27-02-2015
AOR Received.
None Received
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
March 16, 2015
Med's Request
March 21 & May 27, 2015
Med's Done....
March 26 & June 01, 2015
Interview........
Hoping to be waived
Passport Req..
May 27, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
What a day that will be!
Pr cards expire PR status never expires and can only be renounced or revoked. You really only need a valid PR card or a PRTD if you intend to leave the country at any point as you would need to show a valid card or PRTD to an airline to fly back.
Thank you for your response.