+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for visitor record or PR for a US citizen in Canada

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Hi All,

My spouse and I arrived in Canada as PR holders 3 months back and our u.s. citizen children accompanies us as visitors. I thought of apply for PR for them once we entered. However, its possible, we will be go back to the US in 6-7 months and might stay there for about 6 months atleast. In the mean time, my family would like to be able to stay in Canada freely.

In case like this, is it better to apply for PR for children, considering the processing time is 19 months as per the govt website or, just apply for a visitor record for them?.
I know we cant be going in and out of Canada with a vistor record but atleast the children can stay a little longer.

I am thinking if we apply for PR and we leave to the US while case is processing, their PRs might get rejected and also, I am not sure what effect this reject will have on their future immigration petitions in Canada.

Appreciate your reply in advance.

Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

My spouse and I arrived in Canada as PR holders 3 months back and our u.s. citizen children accompanies us as visitors. I thought of apply for PR for them once we entered. However, its possible, we will be go back to the US in 6-7 months and might stay there for about 6 months atleast. In the mean time, my family would like to be able to stay in Canada freely.

In case like this, is it better to apply for PR for children, considering the processing time is 19 months as per the govt website or, just apply for a visitor record for them?.
I know we cant be going in and out of Canada with a vistor record but atleast the children can stay a little longer.

I am thinking if we apply for PR and we leave to the US while case is processing, their PRs might get rejected and also, I am not sure what effect this reject will have on their future immigration petitions in Canada.

Appreciate your reply in advance.

Thanks
Uh...were your children born before or after you and your spouse obtained PR?