+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for my first Canadian passport: problem in providing required I.D.

MayM

Sep 15, 2015
Apply for my first Canadian passport: can I use my passport issued by a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship as I.D.?

Hello I'm looking for help. I'm so confused.

To apply for my first Canadian passport:, I need to provide:

"at least one (1) document to support your identity with the name, sex, date of birth, signature and photo to appear in the passport."
and
"All documents submitted to support your identity must be valid and, must be issued by a federal or, provincial/territorial authority (or local equivalent abroad)."

I was from a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship. The only document that I have with my signature on is the passport of that country.
When I became a Canadian citizen. I assume that old passport should not be valid any more. ( It is not expired yet.)
Can I provide it as the I.D. required for a Canadian passport?
If not, any one please tell me how can I provide a document with my signature that meet all the requirements?

I deeply appreciate your help.

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
MayM said:
Apply for my first Canadian passport: can I use my passport issued by a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship as I.D.?

"at least one (1) document to support your identity with the name, sex, date of birth, signature and photo to appear in the passport."
and
"All documents submitted to support your identity must be valid and, must be issued by a federal or, provincial/territorial authority (or local equivalent abroad)."

I was from a country which doesn't allow dual citizenship. The only document that I have with my signature on is the passport of that country.
When I became a Canadian citizen. I assume that old passport should not be valid any more. ( It is not expired yet.)
If not, any one please tell me how can I provide a document with my signature that meet all the requirements?

You don't have a driving license + privincial health care card ?

MayM

Sep 15, 2015
I don't have a driving license
I have health care card but it doesn't have signature on it.
I don't have any other government document with my signature on. That's the problem :(

MayM

Sep 15, 2015
Oh! When I check my OHIP, I did find my signature on it!
I feel ashamed for asking this silly question and have been bothered by it for a week!

Thank you, Babi22!

Babi22

Apr 23, 2015
Montreal
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
09-2009
LANDED..........
16-02-2010
MayM said:
I feel ashamed for asking this silly question and have been bothered by it for a week!

Thank you, Babi22!
No worries, happens to everyone :)

So you have your ID for your passport application then... and by the way, yes you can use your foreign passport as an ID for your canadian passport application.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
MayM said:

and

Obviously, what else could be better identification than your country's passport on which you came to Canada.

Besides that, they expect you to show original Canadian Certificate issued after Oath, driving license, health card etc.

Once you fill up the passport application, affix required sized / format photo, carry all your originals to passport office, where they just verify and return you the originals. Its very simple, nothing complicated at all.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MayM said:

Thank you, Babi22!
Apply for the Ontario photo card. It's a great ID to have if you don't carry a driver's license. OHIP card is not valid ID proof but the photo card can be.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/ontario-photo-card