+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

APPLY FOR MY CITIZENSHIP BY NOVEMBER 2013....

isabela

Star Member
May 14, 2011
by november i am illegible to apply for my citizenship..32 yrs old....sombedy told me that i need to take the EILTS...is it true?and what is the passing grade of eilts....where can i take that?im from edmonton...thanks..........

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, there is recently a language requirement to apply for citizenship. If you attended high school or college in English or French, your diploma will be accepted. If you had to provide an IELTS when you applied for your PR, it will be accepted, even though it is expired by now. If you have neither, you will need to take either IELTS or CELPIP.

You can read more here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

If you have to take a test, CELPIP LS is the least expensive.

isabela

Star Member
May 14, 2011
thanks for the replies..appreciated..actually i finished my bachelors degree in phils....so it means no need to take EILTS? im confuse bec my friend told me to take eilts and provide diploma or transcript too....thanks again....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read the link that was posted. It says:

3. Proof of completion of a secondary or post-secondary education program in French or English, in Canada or abroad, such as:

* A transcript, diploma or certificate from a secondary school; or
* A transcript, diploma, certificate or degree from a post-secondary school
Note: When these documents are provided, the applicant must have successfully completed a secondary or post-secondary program in English or French. A single course done in English or French does not meet the requirement.

So.. if your college course was taught in English, your college diploma should suffice.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CELPIP LS is only $150 but yeah, if your course language was English, you don't need it.

Traveler74

Star Member
Dec 22, 2007
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon said:
Yes, there is recently a language requirement to apply for citizenship. If you attended high school or college in English or French, your diploma will be accepted. If you had to provide an IELTS when you applied for your PR, it will be accepted, even though it is expired by now. If you have neither, you will need to take either IELTS or CELPIP.

You can read more here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/language.asp

If you have to take a test, CELPIP LS is the least expensive.
I applied for citizenship in October 2012, went to College in the US but did not submit the diploma with my application. Can anyone tell me when did this new rule came into effect? Thanks

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Traveler74 said:
I applied for citizenship in October 2012, went to College in the US but did not submit the diploma with my application. Can anyone tell me when did this new rule came into effect? Thanks
1. Language requirement was effective applications received by CIC Sidney on or after November 1, 2012.

2. Have you received an AOR from CIC? Check your ecas it will have something along the lines of ' Your application for citizenship was received on date x, etc'.

3. If nothing on ecas then your application likely sent back as invalid and you never received it. Call CIC to double check they got your application - did you mail it registered or by courier?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
isabela said:
thanks a lot LEON...... ;) :)so i save $285........ :-* :p ;)
I've read on this and other forums that CIC is sending back citizenship applications as invalid despite applicants including copies of their diplomas. My reading of this is that its an issue where the applicant studied in a country where English or French is not the native language.

In these cases the applicant must clearly show that the course was in English/ French. I'm not sure if transcripts on their own are enough to do this...maybe the inclusion of a syllabus defining the subject matter would be clearer.

For this reason I would suggest that applicants who studied in a country where English/French is not the native language even if the course was in English/French do the IELTS/ CELPIP test as it eliminates any subjectivity on CIC's part.

Traveler74

Star Member
Dec 22, 2007
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
1. Language requirement was effective applications received by CIC Sidney on or after November 1, 2012.

2. Have you received an AOR from CIC? Check your ecas it will have something along the lines of ' Your application for citizenship was received on date x, etc'.

3. If nothing on ecas then your application likely sent back as invalid and you never received it. Call CIC to double check they got your application - did you mail it registered or by courier?
Got it!! Yes they did receive mine way before November 1st, and I already received my book to study for the test. I think I should be fine.
Thank u

isabela

Star Member
May 14, 2011
i read the link that LEON and EDMONTON 2011 shared......and written like this.....DO YOU HAVE ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS FOR THE CITIZENSHIP LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS ?

STEP 1......did u complete secondary education or higher in french or english?......YES.......submit DIPLOMA,CERTIFICATE OR TRANSCRIPT showing program completed,SINGLE COURSE not enough.......What is SINGLE COURSE mean?

i graduated back home, ENGLISH is not our main language but our subjects are all wriitten in english......maybe i better call cic about this.....anyway thanks who replied.... :p :-* ;) :)