+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for an open work permit under a public policy (PGWP extension)

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021
Also, I wonder if any of you have received a letter states the following: "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working.".

If you have, I am not quite sure what they mean by "you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until [ExpiryDate] or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first.". If my expiry date comes first, does this mean I should stop working at that point?

When I reviewed subsection ##, I have found that "Note: The extension of status by law (maintained status, previously known as implied status) under subsection R183(5) does not automatically authorize a temporary resident to continue working while their application for a renewal of their work permit is in progress. The temporary resident must also meet the requirements of paragraph R186(u) to continue working. Paragraph R186(u) applies only until a decision is made on the work permit renewal application.
Paragraph R186(u) allows foreign nationals to work without a permit if they (all must apply)

• applied to renew their work permit under section R201 before the original work permit expired
  • have remained in Canada (meaning they have not physically left)
  • continue to comply with the conditions set out on the expired work permit, other than the expiry date"
Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021
Also, I wonder if any of you have received a letter states the following: "Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be authorized to continue working.".

If you have, I am not quite sure what they mean by "you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions (ie: employer and occupation) until [ExpiryDate] or until a decision is made on your application, whichever is first.". If my expiry date comes first, does this mean I should stop working at that point?

When I reviewed subsection ##, I have found that "Note: The extension of status by law (maintained status, previously known as implied status) under subsection R183(5) does not automatically authorize a temporary resident to continue working while their application for a renewal of their work permit is in progress. The temporary resident must also meet the requirements of paragraph R186(u) to continue working. Paragraph R186(u) applies only until a decision is made on the work permit renewal application.
Paragraph R186(u) allows foreign nationals to work without a permit if they (all must apply)

• applied to renew their work permit under section R201 before the original work permit expired
  • continue to comply with the conditions set out on the expired work permit, other than the expiry date"
Ref: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/work-without-permit/authorization-work-without-work-permit-implied-status.html
Has anyone received a similar message as the one quoted above?

Gurpreet Singh0009

Star Member
Sep 15, 2021

No, you are eligible to continue working on implied status . I confirmed with my lawyer regarding that. So, don’t worrY and continue work till decision will be made. Gud luck..

Jun81

Mar 29, 2019

I received the same letter and have not received the decision yet. I applied on July 18 and I have applied with my family member's visitor record extension as well. My current permit will expire on Nov 16.

Reactions: CAImmNotifyMe

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021
I received the same letter and have not received the decision yet. I applied on July 18 and I have applied with my family member's visitor record extension as well. My current permit will expire on Nov 16.
Your expiry date is quite close to mine, but I believe we can continue work until a decision is made. It's been 113 days since I applied and I haven't heard back from them. The odd thing is that this portal: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html shows an estimate processing time of 91 days whereas https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-status.html says that they're currently finalizing most applications they received between: June 13 and 19, 2021 with a last update was posted on November 2, 2021.

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021
Work permit inside Canada (initial, extensions and changes): Submitted online
Last updated: November 9, 2021
We’re still accepting new applications, and we’re working at full capacity to process work permit extensions and condition changes.
We’re currently finalizing most applications we received between
June 20 and 26, 2021 ?
If your application is complex, it may take us longer to process it.

CAImmNotifyMe

Oct 5, 2021
After 120 days of waiting, I have checked my GCKey account earlier today to find that my application (Work permit extension + Visitor record) was approved. Wish everyone's waiting for their work permit extension all the best!

Gurpreet Singh0009

Star Member
Sep 15, 2021
Hello guys anyone is here who is waiting from july for 18 month wp extension under new policy.. I applied on july 11th and still waiting. Please reply my concern so I will know that still people are waiting from same timeline. Thank you very much.

Gurpreet Singh0009

Star Member
Sep 15, 2021
Hello guys anyone is here who is waiting from july for 18 month wp extension under new policy.. I applied on july 11th and still waiting. Please reply my concern so I will know that still people are waiting from same timeline. Thank you very much.