+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for Spousal OWP and after that received job offer (applying from India)

KaySKay

Aug 28, 2014
Hi,

My husband is a full time student in Toronto. I am currently working in Chennai.
I applied for a open work permit and temporary resident visa as his dependant.
Applied on 7th August - paper application.

Now i have a job offer from the Toronto office of the company I work for. I have just recieved confirmation, not specific papers or written offers yet.
Now is it possible for me to attach this job offer to the ongoing OWP? Does it make sense?
Will it help speed the process?

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

sonuahmad

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad, Pakistan
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2014
Hello KaySkay,

I don't think you can submit any letter once you submitted your application.

Thanks,

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KaySKay said:
Hi,

My husband is a full time in Toronto. I am currently working in Chennai.
I applied for a open work permit and temporary resident visa as his dependant.
Applied on 7th August - paper application.

Now i have a job offer from the Toronto office of the company I work for. I have just recieved confirmation, not specific papers or written offers yet.
Now is it possible for me to attach this job offer to the ongoing OWP? Does it make sense?
Will it help speed the process?

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.
To the contrary submitting it (if possible) maybe be counter-productive, in my opinion.

The open work permit eligibility is based on your husband's student's status. It is on the basis of his authorization that your application for the WP will be mostly based upon; if everything is above board (i.e. student, capability to fund the study and support a spouse etc.) on his current status then application is straight-forward.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-spouse.asp

My view is, presenting a job-offer from the TO office of the company you work now for may lead to more questions from the officers evaluating the OWP application - the confirmation may be deemed a job offer and then will have to be accompanied by an LMIA at minimum. Thus you have the possibility of confusion that you cannot discount - what is really the intent of the applicant in applying - for an OWP or a WP? Or even ICT? You do not want to seed any confusion in your application right now - there is always the spectre of refusal.

One of the drawbacks of the SOWP is that it is tied to that of the authorization of the other (your husband's SP in this case). Should his SP expire, or not be extended in the future, your reason for the OWP is gone, and thus you cannot extend the OWP. So in the future, you could explore with your company to transition you to a WP via that job offer and an LMIA, and if you get a WP then your authorization becomes independent of your husband.

.../all the best

KaySKay

Aug 28, 2014
Thanks a ton Ragluf!

So then my only choice is for the OWP to get through in the normal course.

Or can i raise a new WP request already (despite the ongoing OWP applciation)?

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KaySKay said:
Thanks a ton Ragluf!

So then my only choice is for the OWP to get through in the normal course.

Or can i raise a new WP request already (despite the ongoing OWP applciation)?
Right now - you may want to wait for the OWP application to be completed - for a new WP request you need your employer to get an LMIA for you first, and that is a process unto itself and takes some time. A job confirmation is not enough to apply for a WP.

.../atb