+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for PR from USA, expecting baby.

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Hi,

Currently I live in USA on H1B and we applied for Canadian PR. My wife is 5 months pregnant now. In case we get the PR approved, please could you tell me if it is better to go to Canada and deliver the baby or deliver baby in USA and then apply PR for baby from USA? What is the procedure to apply for PR for baby born in USA? How long would it take to process PR application for baby? We are planning to go to Ontario. Thanks in advance!!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

Currently I live in USA on H1B and we applied for Canadian PR. My wife is 5 months pregnant now. In case we get the PR approved, please could you tell me if it is better to go to Canada and deliver the baby or deliver baby in USA and then apply PR for baby from USA? What is the procedure to apply for PR for baby born in USA? How long would it take to process PR application for baby? We are planning to go to Ontario. Thanks in advance!!!
According to your previous post your wife deferred her chest x-ray, so that means there is no chance for the PR app to be approved until after the baby is born and she completes x-ray portion of medical exam.

So when baby is born in USA, they are added to your current PR app as a dependent. You would not be sponsoring them. Baby would get a simple infant medical exam done, be an accompanying dependent in PR app, and you would all get PR status together.

Or even if she did actually do the chest x-ray already and your PRs were approved so you moved to Ontario while still pregnant, there is a 3 month wait for healthcare so you would need to pay for the delivery entirely out of pocket. For this you would need to budget around $5K - $10K and hope there were no complications that would increase cost further.

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Are you done with X-Ray/Medical ? Do you have good support system ( relatives, friends, acquaintances etc.) in Canada?
Hi,

We have already taken x-ray and submitted our application for PR and we don't have any family or friends in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi,

We have already taken x-ray and submitted our application for PR and we don't have any family or friends in Canada.
Just note my message above regarding 3 month wait for healthcare in Ontario, if you wanted to have baby in Canada.

If you landed as PRs then went back to USA to have baby, you would need to sponsor the baby for PR. This can only be done while the sponsro (either the mom or dad) is physically residing in Canada, so you'd need to move to Canada (baby can come as US visitor) and start the sponsorship process here.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
I agree with all the comments from @Rob_TO . Also, you might want to consider other aspects of move like:

a) difficult packing and relocating while your wife's current situation. It really gets bad in 3rd trimester ;)
b) No friends and relatives to count in case you need any help in a totally new country.
c) New set of doctors which might not be as familiar with your wife's situation as your current ones.
etc. etc.

Only advantage is that your kid would be Canadian citizen by birth which does not mean much if your newborn will enter Canada as US citizen or Canadian PR.

Reactions: Ninisha

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Just note my message above regarding 3 month wait for healthcare in Ontario, if you wanted to have baby in Canada.

If you landed as PRs then went back to USA to have baby, you would need to sponsor the baby for PR. This can only be done while the sponsro (either the mom or dad) is physically residing in Canada, so you'd need to move to Canada (baby can come as US visitor) and start the sponsorship process here.
Thank you Rob_TO :)

Do you know how long would it take to process PR application for baby ?

Thanks Rob_TO! I have additional questions

1.)If we get the PR before baby is born and we also do not land in Canada before baby is born, then should we process the PR for the baby in USA after it is born, before going to Canada and how long would that take? Please could you tell where can to find the steps for that process?

2.) Once the baby is born can we take the baby to Canada, activate our PR and then sponsor the baby from Canada?

Thanks

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
I agree with all the comments from @Rob_TO . Also, you might want to consider other aspects of move like:

a) difficult packing and relocating while your wife's current situation. It really gets bad in 3rd trimester ;)
b) No friends and relatives to count in case you need any help in a totally new country.
c) New set of doctors which might not be as familiar with your wife's situation as your current ones.
etc. etc.

Only advantage is that your kid would be Canadian citizen by birth which does not mean much if your newborn will enter Canada as US citizen or Canadian PR.
Thank you!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you Rob_TO :)

Do you know how long would it take to process PR application for baby ?
If you've already landed as PRs before baby is born, then to sponsor the baby for PR afterwards you should expect I think 6-8 months processing time.

1.)If we get the PR before baby is born and we also do not land in Canada before baby is born, then should we process the PR for the baby in USA after it is born, before going to Canada and how long would that take? Please could you tell where can to find the steps for that process?

2.) Once the baby is born can we take the baby to Canada, activate our PR and then sponsor the baby from Canada?

Thanks
Big NO and NO.

If the baby is born before you land as PRs, you must immediately add the baby as a dependent in your own PR application. Even if you alraedy have the app approved and COPRs in hand, once baby is born that invalidates everything as your family composition will have changed. So baby MUST be added as a dependent (meaning you would return COPRs if you had them) before you land as PRs.

If you had COPRs then the baby was born and you landed as PRs without adding baby as dependent, that would be misrepresentation and as a result you would be forever banned from sponsoring the baby.

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
If you've already landed as PRs before baby is born, then to sponsor the baby for PR afterwards you should expect I think 6-8 months processing time.

Big NO and NO.

If the baby is born before you land as PRs, you must immediately add the baby as a dependent in your own PR application. Even if you alraedy have the app approved and COPRs in hand, once baby is born that invalidates everything as your family composition will have changed. So baby MUST be added as a dependent (meaning you would return COPRs if you had them) before you land as PRs.

If you had COPRs then the baby was born and you landed as PRs without adding baby as dependent, that would be misrepresentation and as a result you would be forever banned from sponsoring the baby.
Thanks Rob_TO!!