+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applied for new PR card inside Canada, but...

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Why should it be a problem?

If she would book a flight to Canada (today) and a return ticket to Germany, why would the airline ask any questions during the checkin? Her travel document is a visa exempt passport. So the airline has no reason to worry.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
zardoz said:
It's not the booking of the flight that's the problem. It's when you present for checkin. It's at that point that your travel documents are checked and could be rejected. Automated checkin might be less risky but it's still possible that it would refer you to a personal checkin anyway.
The only question is if when checking in (either automated or with an employee) and your passport is swiped, will Canada share info immediately with the airline that identifies you as a PR based solely on your passport data, and mandates the airline check for PR card or PR Travel Doc to be allowed boarding.

To date there have been zero reports that this has happened in real life. And a few reports that PRs have successfully checked in using just their visa-exempt passports and were never asked for PR documents. Another poster said they specifically asked the airlines what info is shared upon check in and was told PR status was not seen by airline as part of the screening process. Take these anecdotal reports as you like. This does not guarantee PRs are guaranteed to be allowed boarding with no problems, as the info shared between Canada and the airlines can change on any given day, and may still be evolving as we get closer to the (new) Sept 29 eTA mandatory date.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Rob_TO said:
The only question is if when checking in (either automated or with an employee) and your passport is swiped, will Canada share info immediately with the airline that identifies you as a PR based solely on your passport data, and mandates the airline check for PR card or PR Travel Doc to be allowed boarding.

To date there have been zero reports that this has happened in real life. And a few reports that PRs have successfully checked in using just their visa-exempt passports and were never asked for PR documents. Another poster said they specifically asked the airlines what info is shared upon check in and was told PR status was not seen by airline as part of the screening process. Take these anecdotal reports as you like. This does not guarantee PRs are guaranteed to be allowed boarding with no problems, as the info shared between Canada and the airlines can change on any given day, and may still be evolving as we get closer to the (new) Sept 29 eTA mandatory date.
I don't think that's a risk with Canada.
Canadian PR information is not stored against passport.
This is what we have PR cards for.
Australia and NewZealand store PR details against passport and that's why they do not have an equivalent of PR card, like we do.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
Hm. I don't know, this is confusing.

The new rules have been set back to September. To me that means that after September 29/2016 all PR's need a TD if they don't have a valid PR card.
Until then PR's can enter Canada because of their status, no need for a PRTD.

And the airlines (in my world) cannot force a PR to show a PRTD because of the push back which comes from CIC.

If Canada allows a PR to enter the country w/o a PRTD (but with a passport and CoPR) how can the airline keep an PR from getting on the flight if the PR has (on top) a return ticket?

I am naiv, am I?

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Tri-Cities said:
Hm. I don't know, this is confusing.

The new rules have been set back to September. To me that means that after September 29/2016 all PR's need a TD if they don't have a valid PR card.
Until then PR's can enter Canada because of their status, no need for a PRTD.

And the airlines (in my world) cannot force a PR to show a PRTD because of the push back which comes from CIC.

If Canada allows a PR to enter the country w/o a PRTD (but with a passport and CoPR) how can the airline keep an PR from getting on the flight if the PR has (on top) a return ticket?

I am naiv, am I?
Because airlines need to see a valid visa to allow you on the plane. COPR is not a travel document.
Even after Sep-2016, CBSA will be find with PRs showing passport and COPR. It is the airlines which will insist on eta.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
?

If she would book a flight for the end of May and she would have a ticket to go to Canada and a return ticket to Germany, then there is no reason to ask about her status. For the airline it's like okay she's coming back in a week...
Until September the eTA isn't needed. I mean it either is or isn't and CIC states it isn't at this point.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Tri-Cities said:
?

If she would book a flight for the end of May and she would have a ticket to go to Canada and a return ticket to Germany, then there is no reason to ask about her status. For the airline it's like okay she's coming back in a week...
Until September the eTA isn't needed. I mean it either is or isn't and CIC states it isn't at this point.
Yes, for now, i.e. till September, it should work.

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Tri-Cities said:
Or did I miss that a PRTD is needed even though you got a return ticket?
I guess you are mixing up things.
Since she has German passport, she can try to enter as German, concealing the fact that she is also a PR of Canada.
In this case, airlines will allow her, considering eta requirements are not enforced at the moment.
When she lands in Canada, at CBSA counter, she discloses that she is a PR and presents COPR and passport.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Tri-Cities said:
Or did I miss that a PRTD is needed even though you got a return ticket?
Yes, in theory, a PR card or PR Travel Document is required at the point of checkin/boarding, regardless of the ticket type.
The visa-exempt passport is a "loophole" that will be closed as soon as eTA becomes mandatory.

Tri-Cities

Aug 10, 2015
hahaha
it's not really funny, but I shouldn't advise her at all. I just texted her to at least read what guys have been telling me. I hope she does and I hope she's doing a better job than I did (in regards to understand the whole picture).

One last try though.... she could do the eTA thing and still do it that way:
Since she has German passport, she can try to enter as German, concealing the fact that she is also a PR of Canada. When she lands in Canada, at CBSA counter, she discloses that she is a PR and presents COPR and passport.

??

(I can hear her laughing about me while reading this lol)

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Tri-Cities said:
hahaha
it's not really funny, but I shouldn't advise her at all. I just texted her to at least read what guys have been telling me. I hope she does and I hope she's doing a better job than I did (in regards to understand the whole picture).

One last try though.... she could do the eTA thing and still do it that way:
Since she has German passport, she can try to enter as German, concealing the fact that she is also a PR of Canada. When she lands in Canada, at CBSA counter, she discloses that she is a PR and presents COPR and passport.

??

(I can hear her laughing about me while reading this lol)
You are still not getting it. She can't go the eta way. She will not be given an ETA because she is a PR.
What we all mean is that right now ETA requirement is not strictly enforced.
So if she just books a return ticket, goes to airport, and pretends to be a casual tourist going to Canada for a week to see how summers look in Canada, the airline staff probably won't trouble her and allow her on on board. Since ETA are not enforced till September, airlines won't insist for it.

Once her flight lands, she can proceed to show her COPR to CBSA staff and explain that her card renewal is in progress.
CBSA will not be happy and lecture her on how she should have applied for PRTD, but they will certainly not deny entry.

Long story short:
> When boarding in Germany : Pretend you are a tourist, do not apply for eta, board the plane.
> When arriving in Canada: Proceed to CBSA counter, tell you are a PR, show COPR and passport, and enter.

I don't think I can write any more clearer than this. sorry.