File Transfer...
01-09-2-12
Interview........
26-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
Wow! Three months is almost unheard of. Congratulations! What a sweet holiday gift. I'm so happy for you, beauchemin!

beauchemin

Aug 11, 2012
Here is a tip for people whose spouse has a non-accompanying dependent for which you are unable to obtain a medical/passport photo due to reasons such as no contact, no custody.

Have your spouse provide a statutory declaration or certified letter stating the following:
1) The circumstances surrounding their inability to obtain the documentation
2) Details of their efforts to obtain the documentation
3) That they understands this mean they will not be able to sponsor the dependent at a later time, no matter what change of circumstances
4) that they wish to continue with your application

Save yourself some time, and include the letter upfront, instead of waiting for CIC to ask for it.

steph816

Star Member
Dec 21, 2009
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2011
AOR Received.
01-06-2011
File Transfer...
13-06-2011 VO began processing 06-10-2011
Med's Request
10-01-2012
Med's Done....
22-01-2011, 27-02-2012
Interview........
23-05-2012
Passport Req..
19-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
06-07-2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2012
congratulations on your visa!!!! Great to hear things can happen so quickly out of Pretoria for a change!! Welcome to Canada, for another Zimbo!! =)

Musimbi

Aug 24, 2012
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2012
File Transfer...
01-09-2-12
Interview........
26-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
So...my husband just recieved a request for an interview today. It's a "deferred interview", which means he can either wait for them to travel to Zambia (could be months) or he can schedule one for Pretoria and travel there himself. That part is a no-brainer - why add months to the process if there's another options - but I'm looking for suggestions or advice from anyone who has been through an interview.

How can he prepare? What will they ask or look for in the interview? Should he bring any additional documentation? What can we expect?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
Musimbi said:
So...my husband just recieved a request for an interview today. It's a "deferred interview", which means he can either wait for them to travel to Zambia (could be months) or he can schedule one for Pretoria and travel there himself. That part is a no-brainer - why add months to the process if there's another options - but I'm looking for suggestions or advice from anyone who has been through an interview.

How can he prepare? What will they ask or look for in the interview? Should he bring any additional documentation? What can we expect?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide!
Musimbi, Congrats on the interview. I hope it goes well. I have not had to go through it, but from reading this forum and conversations with those who have gone through them, I hope these help. A list of questions that have been discussed in some interviews:
Here are some questions they may ask:
1. When and where did you meet your spouse for the first time?
2. How did you meet your spouse?
3. How old is your spouse? What is your spouse's birth date?
4. What does your spouse do for a living?
5. Where did your spouse go to school?
6. What degrees or formal training does your spouse have?
7. How did your spouse immigrate to Canada?
8. Where does your spouse work?
9. What is the name of the company? What position does your spouse hold? How long has your spouse worked there?
10. What does the job entail?
11. Does your spouse like his or her job?
12. What is the salary?
13. Where does your spouse live?
14. Whom does your spouse live with?
15. Where are you going to live when you go to Canada?
16. Please explain the type of relationship you have had since your first meeting.
17. What is your religion?
18. What is the religion of your spouse?
19. Do you have any hobbies? Describe them.
20. Does your spouse have any hobbies? Describe them?
21. What type of music do you enjoy?
22. What type of music does your spouse enjoy?
23. What kind of movies do you enjoy? 24. What kind of movies does your spouse enjoy?
25. What kind of books do you read?
26. What kind of books does your spouse read?
27. Have you and your spouse ever exchanged gifts? Explain.
28. When and where did the marriage proposal take place?
29. Was your marriage arranged?
30. If it was arranged, describe how it was arranged and by whom.
31. Did you have an engagement ceremony?
32. Where was it held?
33. When was it held?
34. Describe the marriage and ceremony?
35. Did it conform to your own religious and cultural beliefs? Explain.
36. When did you get married?
37. Where did you get married?
38. Who was at the wedding?
39. What family members were there?
40. How many people were at the ceremony?
41. What day was the ceremony held on?
42. Who performed the ceremony?
43. Do you have pictures of the ceremony?
44. Who was at the wedding from you side?
45. Who was at the wedding from you spouse's side?
46. Were any friends present?
47. How many friends were present?
48. Were your parents at the wedding? If not, why not?
49. Are your parents aware of the wedding? If not, why not?
50. Were your spouse's parents at the wedding? If not, why not?
51. Were your spouse's parents aware of the wedding? If not, why not?
52. Was a reception held? When and where was it held?
53. Who was present at the reception?
54. Did you receive any wedding gifts? Describe them.
55. Did you go on a honeymoon? Where did you go and for how long?
56. Can you show me pictures and receipts from the honeymoon, wedding and reception?
57. Have you or your spouse been married before?
58. Why was that relationship dissolved?
59. Do you have any children from your current relationship or marriage?
60. How many children?
61. What are their names and birth dates?
62. Where are the children now?
63. Who looks after the children?
64. Do any other family members reside with you and your spouse? If yes, please indicate their names and relationship.
65. What relatives do you have in Canada?
66. What are their names and where do they live?
67. What relatives do you have outside of Canada?
68. Has your spouse met any of your relatives or friends? Who have they met and when did they meet them?
69. Have you met your spouse's relatives or friends? Whom have you met and when did you meet them?
70. In terms of education, would you say that you and your spouse's educational backgrounds are compatible?
71. What will you do when you go to Canada?
72. Why did you marry your spouse?
73. Since your marriage have you seen your spouse? If not, why not?
74. Do your family members (parents, siblings) want to immigrate to Canada?
75. Did you marry your spouse so that you could sponsor your parents as landed immigrants of Canada?
76. How do you correspond with your spouse?
77. How often do you talk on the phone?
78. Do you have phone bills, e-mails, cards, etc., and can I see them?
79. Tell me why this marriage or relationship is genuine.
80. What makes your relationship with your spouse different from that of a female/male friend?
81. Does your spouse support you financially?
82. What are the names of your spouse's parents? Brothers & sisters?
83. Have you met them? Describe the meeting?
84. What do they think of your relationship with your spouse?
85. If I refuse this application, what will you do?

Also bring any additional proof you have as it will show you have a continuing relationship. Some have recommended to bring everything you have, including your initial proof from your application.

They say the red flags or areas of question are outlined in the notes, however it may be too late to acquire them, depending when your husband is going for his interview. But just have all the proof you can think of to include and continue to prove your genuine relationship.

Hopefully some senior members will weigh in with more advice on what to expect. But please keep us/ me posted. Looking forward to hearing how it went! :)

Musimbi

Aug 24, 2012
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2012
File Transfer...
01-09-2-12
Interview........
26-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
Thank-you so much Ms Malawi! That's an extensive list, but nothing too hard to answer. I appreciate the help!

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
Musimbi said:
Thank-you so much Ms Malawi! That's an extensive list, but nothing too hard to answer. I appreciate the help!
It was a list i have seen on a few threads. Hope it helps. I think the most important part is proving your genuine relationship and that it has continued since you were married and applied. Some other questions have been how well you know each other, and specifics about the other person.

But good luck!!! Hoping for good news in the new year for you and your hubby!!!

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
Musimbi said:
Hi Musimbi,

I don't know if you have been reading the forum lately but a lot has been around for the interview questions or expectations.

This is posted by canadianwoman today. Hope it all helps!!

"At our interviews, the visa officer asked the same questions over and over. For example, when she was talking to me (I am the sponsor) she kept asking me how I knew my husband would not just run away once he got to Canada. Unfortunately, the true answer is that no one could know that for sure - the visa officer's husband might have run off that very day, for all she knew. Not a good answer, though.
She kept asking my husband over and over why he wanted to marry a fat woman. His answers were perfectly fine, but the visa officer kept asking the same thing anyway.

Frankly, the best thing to prepare for the interview is to: 1. learn all you can about the sponsor's life in Canada (family, friends, previous relationships, jobs, hobbies, all about the town they live in, etc.); 2. make sure you look over the application and that your answers will be consistent with what is written there; and 3. realize that many visa officers will try to make you nervous or angry, so just keep calm, answer their questions, and don't get rattled or change your answers if they ask the same things over and over."

Musimbi

Aug 24, 2012
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2012
File Transfer...
01-09-2-12
Interview........
26-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
Hi Ms Malawi,
Thank-you for your referrals and information. I did a bit of looking around the forum but it's an extremely busy time in my work and my husband's internet connection is poor and unpredictable at the best of times, so any help that saves us time has been much appreciated. My husband's interview is at the end of January - fingers crossed that all goes well and he's here not long after!

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
Musimbi said:
Hi Ms Malawi,
Thank-you for your referrals and information. I did a bit of looking around the forum but it's an extremely busy time in my work and my husband's internet connection is poor and unpredictable at the best of times, so any help that saves us time has been much appreciated. My husband's interview is at the end of January - fingers crossed that all goes well and he's here not long after!
Not to worry. If there is anything else i find or come across that may help i will send it along. I understand about internet connection over there, so any help i can offer, just ask. Good luck at the interview, i will be thinking of you guys the end of the month and looking for an update!

Have a safe and happy holiday!

Musimbi

Aug 24, 2012
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2012
File Transfer...
01-09-2-12
Interview........
26-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
25-03-2013
LANDED..........
13-04-2013
Thank-you! I know I say this frequently, but I'm so appreciative of this forum and the support it offers!

Season's Greetings to all!

Dec 30, 2012
Hi All. Wanted to join the group and say we are about to submit our sponsor and principal applicant forms to CIC and onward to Pretoria in January 2013. I'll post as we proceed through the process. This group is really helpful for support and information sharing!

Just a question - were any of you non-resident sponsors? That is my situation and I'm trying to craft an affidavit regarding my intent to re-establish residence in Canada when my spouse's PR application is completed. My spouse, our son and I are fortunate to live together in southern Africa as we enter this process.

Thanks in advance!

JLJGR

Dec 30, 2012
Hi to all!

I have some rookie questions- I am a recent permanent resident and my boyfriend of 3 years moved up to Canada with me in August this year (We're both Capetonian). I am studying and we are both working- he managed to get an experience class visa. We live together and can definitely prove our relationship.

My question is- when his visa runs out we will have been living together for exactly one year- I imagine it is only then that we can apply for the common-law family sponsored visa? If so, when we do submit the application I will be in Canada and he will be in South Africa- do we submit it directly to Pretoria or should i just submit the application here within Canada as it seems processing time is quicker here?

I totally thought this wouldnt take more than six months- we spent 6 months apart last year and it as brutal! Im freaking out about the 27 month wait time cited by the website! :(

any advice/ help would be appreciated!
thanks and happy new year

Ms Malawi

Oct 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-11-2012
AOR Received.
18-12-2012
File Transfer...
07-01-2013
Med's Done....
30-08-2012
Interview........
02-05-2013
Passport Req..
10-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2013
LANDED..........
27-05-2013
MrInternational said:
Hi All. Wanted to join the group and say we are about to submit our sponsor and principal applicant forms to CIC and onward to Pretoria in January 2013. I'll post as we proceed through the process. This group is really helpful for support and information sharing!

Just a question - were any of you non-resident sponsors? That is my situation and I'm trying to craft an affidavit regarding my intent to re-establish residence in Canada when my spouse's PR application is completed. My spouse, our son and I are fortunate to live together in southern Africa as we enter this process.

Thanks in advance!
Hi Mr. International and welcome. I was not a PR, however if you can provide any proof like a job offer, property or anything that would prove your plans to re-estabilish in Canada it would help. Hopefully some of the senior members can provide more insight. Good luck with your application!

JLJGR said:
Hi to all!

I have some rookie questions- I am a recent permanent resident and my boyfriend of 3 years moved up to Canada with me in August this year (We're both Capetonian). I am studying and we are both working- he managed to get an experience class visa. We live together and can definitely prove our relationship.

My question is- when his visa runs out we will have been living together for exactly one year- I imagine it is only then that we can apply for the common-law family sponsored visa? If so, when we do submit the application I will be in Canada and he will be in South Africa- do we submit it directly to Pretoria or should i just submit the application here within Canada as it seems processing time is quicker here?

I totally thought this wouldnt take more than six months- we spent 6 months apart last year and it as brutal! Im freaking out about the 27 month wait time cited by the website! :(

any advice/ help would be appreciated!
thanks and happy new year
Hi JLJGR,

Welcome! My best recommendation would be to collect all your proof and have your application ready to submit after your one year mark. Is there a chance to extend your boyfriends visa? Also a senior member may be able to provide more insight, but I would look into implied status once you submit, if your boyfriend can stay in Canada while his application is being processed. I am just not sure on the timeline for when it is classified as implied the day you submit or pay the fees or when it is processed.

I agree about the 27 month timeline. However some have been moving a lot faster and if your case is straight forward it may be processed a lot faster. Something to keep in mind, if the inland option is not available.

The two options you have is to submit as an inland application where it will be sent within Canada and processed within canada with stage 1 taking approximately 6 months and stage 2 about 8 months. In this case you would bother remain in Canada and your boyfriend would not have to leave until a decision is made in your case. In this situation he would not be able to work or study for the first 6 months. The second is to send an outland application through Mississauga. Right now stage 1 is about 45 days and stage 2 for Pretoria is listed as 27 months. However that just means that 80% are processed within 27 months. We have seen 1 recently completed in 3 months and a few others around the 8-9 month mark.

I hope this helps. Any questions please feel free to ask and I am sure someone will either have experience or the answer!