+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applications filed through NS --> Buffalo (Filed from USA)

G

gte439u

being.being said:
Now i finally got my Passport, i have a key question of Landing.

In the application i wrote the city of stay as Vancouver and also in my landing paper (CPR) its showing Vancouver

Can i land other then Vancouver i.e Toronto?
You can land in any city EXCEPT for a city in Quebec (e.g. Montreal or Quebec City). You can land in Quebec if you can prove to the officer than you intend to reside outside the province of Quebec.

smallduck

Jul 21, 2010
NYC
Category........
Visa Office......
New York, NY (In Process)
NOC Code......
9xxx
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 05 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 02 2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
Dec 10 2009 and Apr 21 2010
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
Jul 14 2010 to NYVO
Med's Request
Aug 24 2010
Med's Done....
Sep 15 2010 - and Med RCVD (Nov 16)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Apr 04 2011, Decision made Apr 25 2011
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 18 2011
gte439u said:
You can land in any city EXCEPT for a city in Quebec (e.g. Montreal or Quebec City). You can land in Quebec if you can prove to the officer than you intend to reside outside the province of Quebec.
It's not quite clear, can you explain further, please! How do I prove to the officer that I will be living in Ontario if it were my first time landing. I assume that I don't have any current address in Canada, temporary residence is hotel, for example :D. It would be tricky, I think :D.
By the way, I'm gonna go directly to Ontario and finish landing :D, it will be the easiest way.

G

gte439u

smallduck said:
It's not quite clear, can you explain further, please! How do I prove to the officer that I will be living in Ontario if it were my first time landing. I assume that I don't have any current address in Canada, temporary residence is hotel, for example :D. It would be tricky, I think :D.
By the way, I'm gonna go directly to Ontario and finish landing :D, it will be the easiest way.
Generally, a verbal statement that affirms your intention to reside in a province outside of Quebec will suffice. If your first point of entry in Canada is in Montreal, for example, and on ward ticket to Toronto would be evidence that you don't intend to reside in Quebec. Even a hotel reservation in a province outside of Quebec may be sufficient to show that you do not intend to reside in that that province.

G

gte439u

smallduck said:
I got the letter that the Consulate gave me with my passport that included the following instruction on landing in Canada:

"If you enter Canada at a Port of Entry in Quebec you must have been accepted by Quebec and have a valid CSQ or be prepared to document your clear intention to reside in a Province other than Quebec."

mark_smith

Oct 16, 2010
how long does the FBI to send certificate after charging credit card?

Hi,

Early in November I sent FBI the fingerprints. A couple of days ago, FBI charged my credit card. Does this mean I will receive the certificate in a couple of weeks? It is said that it will typically take FBI 14-18 weeks.

Thanks,

smallduck

Jul 21, 2010
NYC
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
9xxx
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 05 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 02 2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
Jul 14 2010 to NYVO
Med's Request
Aug 24 2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 18 2011
gte439u said:
I got the letter that the Consulate gave me with my passport that included the following instruction on landing in Canada:

"If you enter Canada at a Port of Entry in Quebec you must have been accepted by Quebec and have a valid CSQ or be prepared to document your clear intention to reside in a Province other than Quebec."
Thanks for this important information!!

smallduck

Jul 21, 2010
NYC
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
9xxx
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 05 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 02 2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
Jul 14 2010 to NYVO
Med's Request
Aug 24 2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 18 2011
Re: how long does the FBI to send certificate after charging credit card?

mark_smith said:
Hi,

Early in November I sent FBI the fingerprints. A couple of days ago, FBI charged my credit card. Does this mean I will receive the certificate in a couple of weeks? It is said that it will typically take FBI 14-18 weeks.

Thanks,
Charging your CC is actually a good sign, I remembered last time it took 2 days for me to received the FBI after the charges appear in my CC.

garian4u

Nov 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Pro1,

Do you know till how long we can wait after landing to actually settle in Canada without invalidating our PR status? Example, if I land in Feb 2011, till what time will I not have to worry before my PR status expires?

professional 1

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
garian4u said:
Hey Pro1,

Do you know till how long we can wait after landing to actually settle in Canada without invalidating our PR status? Example, if I land in Feb 2011, till what time will I not have to worry before my PR status expires?

Unfortunatly, in this technical point, i have no exact answer. All i know here that when applying for citizenship, you have to show that you have lived in Canada for 1095 days in the last 4 years prior to citizenship application.

G

gte439u

garian4u said:
Hey Pro1,

You must reside in Canada for two (2) of every five (5) years. Therefore, you must settle in Canada within 3-years of landing to avoid losing your P.R. status. Obviously, it is better to begin living in Canada before the 3-year mark is up.

garian4u

Nov 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gte439u said:
You must reside in Canada for two (2) of every five (5) years. Therefore, you must settle in Canada within 3-years of landing to avoid losing your P.R. status. Obviously, it is better to begin living in Canada before the 3-year mark is up.
gte439u, thanks a lot. Do you have some official website links that states as such? I could bookmark them for reference.

G

gte439u

garian4u said:
gte439u, thanks a lot. Do you have some official website links that states as such? I could bookmark them for reference.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp#keep_status

garian4u

Nov 13, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gte439u said:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp#keep_status
Awesome. I seem to have gone through this section but never paid attention ;D

smallduck

Jul 21, 2010
NYC
Category........
Visa Office......
NOC Code......
9xxx
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 05 2009
Doc's Request.
Dec 02 2009
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
waived
File Transfer...
Jul 14 2010 to NYVO
Med's Request
Aug 24 2010
Med's Done....
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
Apr 18 2011
gte439u said:
That's true for what I read on the cic. However, there are several tricks you might want to know. You can set up a business, and as long as you keep it running, you can count proportion of leaving days toward in order to keep the PR status. Please confirm if you have more info...

About applying for citizenship: my friends had successfully applied for citizenship within less than 3 years after landing. He spent 2 years study Ms and then applied for FSW3 as I remembered correctly. So they're using "special calculator" to count days you live there. we'll stick around and hope that Pro1 will be one of pioneer here, we'll cheer him in the next few years :D...

G

gte439u

smallduck said:
That's true for what I read on the cic. However, there are several tricks you might want to know. You can set up a business, and as long as you keep it running, you can count proportion of leaving days toward in order to keep the PR status. Please confirm if you have more info...
CIC is cracking down on such 'tricks'. Upon investigation, you would likely lose your P.R. status under the facts that you presented.

See CIC Operations Bulletin 243 of 2010-OCT-01: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob243.asp ("Subsection 61(2) clarifies that an entity that serves primarily to allow a PR to comply with their residency obligation while residing outside Canada is NOT a Canadian business for the purpose of 61(1).").

On the other hand, if a legitmate Canadian company (say Suncor or TD Group) sends an employee with P.R. to an office abroad for 10 years, that employee would not lose P.R. When re-entering Canada under this fact pattern, the employee should probably carry a letter of employement should the BSO have any questions.