+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Stages + What They Mean (MEP, IP1, IP2, Ghost Update...) - Version 2019

Amacassok

Aug 14, 2019
Hello everyone, just want to know if anyone has experienced this!

About a month or 2 after I submitted my eAPR, I saw my status update changed to "updated" from "submitted" in which I saw no obvious change apart from "passed medical exam and biometrics completed " (which have always been there). However, I later noticed this status reversed back to "submitted".

Then yesterday I got a request letter to submit additional documents of Declaration from non accompanying parent for my 3 children. Then I also noticed my background check status has changed to "we are processing your background check and will let you know if we need more information " ....

Please what does this signify? Is it a sign of good news coming soon?

Please help I am so anxious!!!

Thanks

ih.un

Star Member
Apr 28, 2017
Montreal
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
IRCC has introduced a number of changes in recent months and it is time to update our understanding of the post-AOR stages. I am simply building on the amazing work of @northern sunshine in developing an explanation of the various stages we can use - informally - to track the progress of our application. Huge thanks in particular to @USProgrammer who has posited the underlying trends and found evidence for them. In short, the traditional transition from IP1 to IP2 to ghost update to PPR still holds but in a modified way due to these changes.

From 31 Dec 2018, everyone except for Inland candidates has to provide their biometrics which means the default starting stage applicants will see for their Background Check is ‘IP2’ (“We are processing your background check…”), however, this is a ‘False IP2’, meaning an IP2 that has appeared before it is actually due as the application has not in fact progressed to the IP2 stage yet.

If you have an AOR of 31 Dec 2018 or later, follow the chart below to track your progress. Candidates will remain in a state of 'False IP2' throughout their application and only see a series of 'ghost updates' following their MEP; the first such ghost update (which should follow shortly after MEP) will signify your Real IP1, the second ghost update will signify your Real IP2, and the third will be your ‘Final’ Ghost Update, following which you are likely to receive your PPR.

If you have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018
, the chart also applies to you if you meet one or more of these conditions: you are a CEC or PNP-Inland candidate, you were required to provide your biometrics or you did not pay your RPRF upfront.

Note for FSW-Outland candidates who have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018: If you did not need to provide biometrics and paid your RPRF upfront, the old transition from NA1 all the way to a Final Ghost Update will still apply to you. Your Background Check should have started in NA1 ("Not Applicable" 1), meaning your Background Check status said "Not Applicable" right after you submitted your application.

General:
EE
- Express Entry: Canada's score-based program for economic immigrants
CRS - Comprehensive Ranking System: System for ranking candidates for EE
ITA - Invitation to Apply: an invitation to apply for permanent residence
e-APR - electronic Application for Permanent Residence: the online application for PR after receiving an ITA
RPRF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee: a fee collected as part of your PR application
AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt (of application): email confirming receipt of your application after you submit and pay your fees
ADR - Additional Document Request: IRCC sends a message asking you to provide a specific document to supplement your application.

Post-submission stages:
False IP2
- Usually right from AOR or just after MEP. Background Check shows "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.”
MEP - Medicals passed: review of medical results changes from "You do not need a medical exam." to "You have passed the medical exam." There is no email for MEP.
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Ghost Update #1 or Real IP1 - "In progress" 1: Background Check changes to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check." Usually follows MEP. Some applicants (especially Inland and CEC) skip this stage. You should receive an email for your Real IP1 - the email will not provide any details, just that your application has been updated.
NA2 - "Not Applicable" 2: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP1. Some applicants skip this stage and it is easily missed. No email.
Ghost Update #2 or Real IP2 - "In progress" 2: Background Check changes to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." No email.
NA3 - "Not Applicable" 3: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP2 (uncommon).
Ghost Update #3 or Final Ghost Update - Often considered a sign that PPR is coming soon. Not seen by all applicants.
PPR - Passport request: IRCC sends "Ready for visa" e-mail asking you to submit your documents to your visa office so they can issue your CoPR and entry visa if applicable. A PPR is announced only by email, and there may be no changes made directly to the profile. If you are worried you might miss it, you can whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca to ensure the email comes straight to your inbox.
CoPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence: A document that says you've been approved for permanent residence.

Other notes:
1. The ‘eligibility’ and ‘final decision’ fields in your profile will not change to passed until after you receive your CoPR. This is an example of what a profile may look like following a CoPR.
2. Remember that these are not "official" stages, but they are used frequently throughout the forum to track the processing of applications.

This is a combined effort of @northern sunshine, @USProgrammer and myself. Please share your feedback - it is likely we have missed a few things!
Dear Sir
I am Quebec-Inland Spousal sponsorship applicant. Files were received on 15th of Oct 2018 and AOR is 13th Nov
Today, when I entered my CIC account, there was not any ghost update,but at the main page , my date of submission was changed to January,which I tied my application to online. But again, when I moved to Check Application, at progressing bar,still shows 15th of October.

Is it meaningful change on DATE SUBMITTED

Regards

Note: Or didn t I pay attention before, now I start to question myself if it was all same before.

Kristianfromcanada

Star Member
Mar 30, 2017
IRCC has introduced a number of changes in recent months and it is time to update our understanding of the post-AOR stages. I am simply building on the amazing work of @northern sunshine in developing an explanation of the various stages we can use - informally - to track the progress of our application. Huge thanks in particular to @USProgrammer who has posited the underlying trends and found evidence for them. In short, the traditional transition from IP1 to IP2 to ghost update to PPR still holds but in a modified way due to these changes.

From 31 Dec 2018, everyone except for Inland candidates has to provide their biometrics which means the default starting stage applicants will see for their Background Check is ‘IP2’ (“We are processing your background check…”), however, this is a ‘False IP2’, meaning an IP2 that has appeared before it is actually due as the application has not in fact progressed to the IP2 stage yet.

If you have an AOR of 31 Dec 2018 or later, follow the chart below to track your progress. Candidates will remain in a state of 'False IP2' throughout their application and only see a series of 'ghost updates' following their MEP; the first such ghost update (which should follow shortly after MEP) will signify your Real IP1, the second ghost update will signify your Real IP2, and the third will be your ‘Final’ Ghost Update, following which you are likely to receive your PPR.

If you have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018
, the chart also applies to you if you meet one or more of these conditions: you are a CEC or PNP-Inland candidate, you were required to provide your biometrics or you did not pay your RPRF upfront.

Note for FSW-Outland candidates who have an AOR date of up to 30 Dec 2018: If you did not need to provide biometrics and paid your RPRF upfront, the old transition from NA1 all the way to a Final Ghost Update will still apply to you. Your Background Check should have started in NA1 ("Not Applicable" 1), meaning your Background Check status said "Not Applicable" right after you submitted your application.

General:
EE
- Express Entry: Canada's score-based program for economic immigrants
CRS - Comprehensive Ranking System: System for ranking candidates for EE
ITA - Invitation to Apply: an invitation to apply for permanent residence
e-APR - electronic Application for Permanent Residence: the online application for PR after receiving an ITA
RPRF - Right of Permanent Residence Fee: a fee collected as part of your PR application
AOR - Acknowledgement of Receipt (of application): email confirming receipt of your application after you submit and pay your fees
ADR - Additional Document Request: IRCC sends a message asking you to provide a specific document to supplement your application.

Post-submission stages:
False IP2
- Usually right from AOR or just after MEP. Background Check shows "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.”
MEP - Medicals passed: review of medical results changes from "You do not need a medical exam." to "You have passed the medical exam." There is no email for MEP.
Ghost Update - When you log in, the application says it's been "updated" but none of the fields have changed. Once you logout and log back in, the application returns to being "submitted". Ghost updates are not announced by email and a candidate must check their profile daily to not miss them.
Ghost Update #1 or Real IP1 - "In progress" 1: Background Check changes to "Your application is in progress. We will send you a message when we start your background check." Usually follows MEP. Some applicants (especially Inland and CEC) skip this stage. You should receive an email for your Real IP1 - the email will not provide any details, just that your application has been updated.
NA2 - "Not Applicable" 2: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP1. Some applicants skip this stage and it is easily missed. No email.
Ghost Update #2 or Real IP2 - "In progress" 2: Background Check changes to "We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information." No email.
NA3 - "Not Applicable" 3: Background Check changes to "Not Applicable" again after IP2 (uncommon).
Ghost Update #3 or Final Ghost Update - Often considered a sign that PPR is coming soon. Not seen by all applicants.
PPR - Passport request: IRCC sends "Ready for visa" e-mail asking you to submit your documents to your visa office so they can issue your CoPR and entry visa if applicable. A PPR is announced only by email, and there may be no changes made directly to the profile. If you are worried you might miss it, you can whitelist the email domain @cic.gc.ca to ensure the email comes straight to your inbox.
CoPR - Confirmation of Permanent Residence: A document that says you've been approved for permanent residence.

Other notes:
1. The ‘eligibility’ and ‘final decision’ fields in your profile will not change to passed until after you receive your CoPR. This is an example of what a profile may look like following a CoPR.
2. Remember that these are not "official" stages, but they are used frequently throughout the forum to track the processing of applications.

This is a combined effort of @northern sunshine, @USProgrammer and myself. Please share your feedback - it is likely we have missed a few things!
Hi all!
Today I logged into our account (gckey) and it normally would have said under current status "your action is required" but today it said "application/ profile updated" I got excited and told my girlfriend that and she logged in and it said the same thing it's said before "your action is required"
We had to upload updated police checks and the right to pr fee and did that nov 15. So now it seems as though we got a ghost update or were back to anxiously awaiting. So annoying lol.
Any thoughts?

Rockybee

Star Member
Nov 12, 2019
Hey I am also PNP inland. I have seen you in OINP forum too... we both got ITA at same time

ITA :- 30th OCT
AOR :- 13th Nov
CRS :- 1054 ( PNP Inland)
Eligibility :- We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Medical :- You passed the medical exam on Dec 4th
ADR : - We do not need additional documents.
Interview :- You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics :- We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
B/G :- We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision :- Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
Hi,

Any update on your case?? I passed my medicals on the 18th of December.

Bedi 1967

Dec 24, 2019
I apply pr applications 7 may 2019
AOR 12 may
Medical request 25 oct 2019
Medical pass 4 dec
ADR 25 nov 2019
Invitation to pre arrival service letter received
26 November 2019
Any body now how long time to PPR

GeoV

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I have AR March 2019
AOR May 2019
MP 5 OCT
ADR 29 OCT( Sech A and PCC), BG changed from we are processing to your application in progress
Pre Arrival 30 OCT
Docs uploaded on 11 NOV and still showing we are reviewing.
Any idea what is next and to to expect - and what are the timing to wait for ?
Thanks ahead

GeoV

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I apply pr applications 7 may 2019
AOR 12 may
Medical request 25 oct 2019
Medical pass 4 dec
ADR 25 nov 2019
Invitation to pre arrival service letter received
26 November 2019
Any body now how long time to PPR
--- what was the ADR ?

Arya.ars

Dec 8, 2019
I have AR March 2019
AOR May 2019
MP 5 OCT
ADR 29 OCT( Sech A and PCC), BG changed from we are processing to your application in progress
Pre Arrival 30 OCT
Docs uploaded on 11 NOV and still showing we are reviewing.
Any idea what is next and to to expect - and what are the timing to wait for ?
Thanks ahead

Hi, I also got adr request on Nov 26 and I submitted the section A doc on Nov 27 and the status is we are reviewing the additional documents you provided since then. I am curious when this status will change to N/A. It’s been more than a month

Parsifal

Star Member
Feb 2, 2016
Hi guys,

Status wise, I am curious to know whether what you see on your CIC account is different than what they mention to you when you call IRCC?

Can it be that call center agents could say eligibility is met but that online it still shows as still being reviewed?
Thank you,

Vlad

Chaitanya23

Sep 12, 2018
London, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Doc's Request.
7-1-2020
AOR Received.
10-12-2019
Hello @derkdsou
Just need your advice on this situation
E-Apr - 10th December
MEP/BIL- 24th December
RPRF request letter- 7th January (paid on same day and submitted the receipt)

I did called CIC yesterday and asked them about the application status and the agent said that my Criminality, Eligibility and Security all are in progress at the same time.

Whereas when I read online on CIC website it states that RPRF request letter is issued when application is approved.

Hence, need some advice here on what stage is my application on now.

Thank You

dr.josemrod

Sep 3, 2019
Santiago, Dominican Republic
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
31-08-2019
AOR Received.
05-09-2019
Med's Done....
18-09-2019
LANDED..........
08-05-2020
Hello @derkdsou
Just need your advice on this situation
E-Apr - 10th December
MEP/BIL- 24th December
RPRF request letter- 7th January (paid on same day and submitted the receipt)

I did called CIC yesterday and asked them about the application status and the agent said that my Criminality, Eligibility and Security all are in progress at the same time.

Whereas when I read online on CIC website it states that RPRF request letter is issued when application is approved.

Hence, need some advice here on what stage is my application on now.

Thank You
It used to be that way, now they may ask for that payment at anytime.

Reactions: VOBIEGBU

sahilng

Sep 2, 2019
Hello All, in my case:

AOR - Sep 22
Medical results - Oct 11 passed
Biometrics - Oct 19 completed
5-6 days before there were 2 unusual updates -
1. Review of additional documents changed to - 'Not applicable'
2. Ghost update (nothing actually changed in the profile though)
The status bar shows 'Estimated remaining processing time' - 10 weeks (Completion date - Mar 22 2020)
All the experts here, how much time will it take? What could be going on?
Thanks in advance!

Best
Sahil

JAK2019

Star Member
Apr 23, 2019
ITA :- 30th OCT
AOR :- 31st OCT
CRS :- 1003 ( PNP Inland)
Eligibility :- We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Medical :- You passed the medical exam.
ADR : - We do not need additional documents.
Interview :- You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics :- We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
B/G :- We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision :- Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.
Received two ghost updates since Nov 21st but nothing has changed in status

Hari_1591

Jan 23, 2020
I applied through express entry. Medicals passed on Oct -1 2019. Biometrics submitted on Oct-11. Status of my eligibility status is - We are reviewing your eligibility status. Status of Background check - we are processing your Background check. Final decision status - your application is being processed we will let you know once the final decision is made. It’s been 4 months plus, I haven’t received my PPR. Am a single applicant. Not sure why this is taking so long. Could you give me some inputs or actions that I’ve to take from my end. thanks