+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application returned "birth certificate not accepted" advice on next steps?

user11110000

Star Member
Jan 30, 2019
Hello,

Once again thanks so much to everyone on this forum. I really have appreciated all the great insights and advice. I wish I didn't have to post again, but I have another issue with my application. We are common law, living in the U.S. with a Canadian (Quebec) resident and American citizen partner. No dependents. We submitted on May 31st and just got a letter back saying it was returned and incomplete.

Here's what they said "You must provide the required identity documents for You (the Principal Applicant) as well as ALL family members (whether they will accompany you to Canada) or not. Sponsor must provide proof of Canadian status." Then this was highlighted in yellow:

"If you are not in possession of your original documents or cannot provide a document that is required, you must provide a detailed letter of explanation. The following identity documents have not been included or do not meet the requirements for processing:

Birth Certificate not provided for: Principal Applicant"

But I did provide a copy of my U.S. birth certificate in the application pack.
1. Any suggestions on next steps? I don't know why my birth certificate did not meet the requirements as it was a copy and was submitted in the package.
2. Do I need to provide birth certificates of all of my immediate family members? None of them will accompany me to Canada.

Thanks again, forum!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello,

Once again thanks so much to everyone on this forum. I really have appreciated all the great insights and advice. I wish I didn't have to post again, but I have another issue with my application. We are common law, living in the U.S. with a Canadian (Quebec) resident and American citizen partner. No dependents. We submitted on May 31st and just got a letter back saying it was returned and incomplete.

Here's what they said "You must provide the required identity documents for You (the Principal Applicant) as well as ALL family members (whether they will accompany you to Canada) or not. Sponsor must provide proof of Canadian status." Then this was highlighted in yellow:

"If you are not in possession of your original documents or cannot provide a document that is required, you must provide a detailed letter of explanation. The following identity documents have not been included or do not meet the requirements for processing:

Birth Certificate not provided for: Principal Applicant"

But I did provide a copy of my U.S. birth certificate in the application pack.
1. Any suggestions on next steps? I don't know why my birth certificate did not meet the requirements as it was a copy and was submitted in the package.
2. Do I need to provide birth certificates of all of my immediate family members? None of them will accompany me to Canada.

Thanks again, forum!
"Family Members" in this context are your dependents, not parents, siblings etc.

Maybe get a notarized copy of the Birth Certificate and resubmit the application, possibly with a letter of explanation that this is your legal birth certificate.

user11110000

Star Member
Jan 30, 2019
Yea, that makes sense. I don't know why else it would not be valid. The only thing I can think of is when I submitted the form with my parents' birth year on it, I accidentally put the wrong birth year for them (stupid mistake). That's the only thing that could be making it invalid.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
Yea, that makes sense. I don't know why else it would not be valid. The only thing I can think of is when I submitted the form with my parents' birth year on it, I accidentally put the wrong birth year for them (stupid mistake). That's the only thing that could be making it invalid.
Did you submit a long form birth certificate that shows your parents names? I was born in Ontario and have 2 birth certificates - one long form with my parents' names and a short form which is like a wallet card with less information on it. CIC wants the long form.

Asma elsayed

Jul 10, 2019
Hello to all,
I am Canadian by birth and living with my husband in Egypt with our son who is also born in Canada. I am now filling all needed documents to sponsor my husband and I have to provide the long form birth certificate of our son to show that both our names are on the certificate. The thing is the father wasnt present durning birth to sign for his own name, as he was in Egypt awaiting our arrival, therefore the certificate only has my (mother')s info and I dont know what I can do. Can anyone tell me what I should do? Is the Egyptian family card enough as it indicates all of our information? Or would a letter of explanation of the above be valid for them? Or can I apply for a new birth certificate online...I'd really appreciate if someone can help me out