+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application refused due to insufficient funds

darthSiddius

Oct 16, 2015
I'm really frustrated with the outcome today. My PR application has been refused citing insufficient funds. I applied under FSW (I qualified for both FSW and CEC) and I entered $2000 in the funds available section. I got an invite for FSW. Filled all the forms got the bank letter which showed my savings around $7000 (Notice it's more than what I claimed). I attached my T4, job letter and pay-stubs (Yearly salary is $55000 + bonuses).

This is what the person reviewing my case has to say:

The amount of funds is assessed according to the applicant’s family size, using 50% of the current Low-Income Cut-off (LICO) from Statistics Canada for urban areas with populations of 500,000 or more. In your case you must demonstrate that you have at your disposal 11931$ CAD for a family of 1.

I am not satisfied that you have at your disposal, with sufficient liquidity, and with the ability to transfer those assets, the necessary threshold of funds to support your establishment in Canada on arrival. You have submitted a financial statement from RBC, dated June 2, 2015, detailing five accounts:
1) RBC Savings Account (xxxxx-xxxxxxx) indicating a balance of 0.03$
2) RBC Chequing Account (xxxxx-xxxxxxx) indicating a balance of 2500$
3) RBC TFSA (xxxxx xxxx) indicating a balance of 1700$
4) RBC RSPG (xxxxx xxxx) indicating a balance of 1400$
5) RBC DPSP (xxxxx xxxx) indicating a balance of 1400$
The total amount of these five accounts is 7000.03$.
You therefore do not fulfill the requirements as per paragraph 76(1)(b) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
Can someone guide me with the correct course of action? Can I appeal this somehow? My post grad permit expires in March next year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's nothing to appeal. You don't have sufficient funds to qualify for FSW and were correctly refused.

Not sure why you received ITA for FSW if you didn't have sufficient funds to qualify. Are you sure you didn't enter $20K by mistake?

Quebec_EE_FSW

Sep 9, 2015
I am very sorry for your refusal. CIC acted so weird in your case as you got an invite under FSW.

If you don't mind, can you share your complete timeline like when did you apply, medicals, RPRF request and GCMS notes (if applied).

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is outrageous nitpicking! The OP has a job in Canada and is managing their finances already. That alone should have given the officer something to ponder over before refusing them on the grounds of not having enough funds to support your establishment in Canada on arrival. On arrival! Ha!

Recommend that the OP appeal the decision but not on the grounds of being incorrectly invited under FSW. That was correct. If you qualify under both programs, you'll always get an FSW invitation. Appeal this on grounds of logic and compassion by highlighting that you're already successfully managing your finances in Canada and have a job that pays you every month.

Simultaneously, create another profile right away. There could be another draw next week.

darthSiddius

Oct 16, 2015
Hi Asivad,

Thanks for your reply. Can you help or give me some pointers as to how the appeal process works? I'm not sure how to go about this.

Regards

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
This is outrages!! Where is the common sense ?? I thought they would have to access people in the following order: CEC-->FSW->FSTW...
You should send CSE and for revaluation!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
darthSiddius said:
Hi Asivad,

Thanks for your reply. Can you help or give me some pointers as to how the appeal process works? I'm not sure how to go about this.

Regards
Use the CSE route. Don't be in a hurry to send it right away. Take time over the weekend to gather your thoughts on this and finalize the approach, content, tone and supporting evidence of your appeal. There is a word limit on the CSE so be very specific. If you can speak to a friendly lawyer for advise, do that as well.

Remember to NOT provide any new evidence but do reuse any relevant document(s) that you already submitted with the original application to reinforce anything you are claiming in the appeal. Remember that the easiest way of refusing an appeal for an officer is to point out to new evidence and be regretful that this wasn't made available earlier.

Also remember that an appeal doesn't always lead to justice. Be prepared to be disappointed and have Plan B in action. When you create a profile this time around, ensure that you qualify only under CEC.

CSE ---> https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx

All the best!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Phil89 said:
This is outrages!! Where is the common sense ?? I thought they would have to access people in the following order: CEC-->FSW->FSTW...
You should send CSE and for revaluation!
Unfortunately, that order works only for PNP applicants. In the OP's case, they were invited under FSW. Technically speaking, the officer isn't entirely at fault but, as you rightly pointed out, common sense is on vacation.

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
Unfortunately, that order works only for PNP applicants. In the OP's case, they were invited under FSW. Technically speaking, the officer isn't entirely at fault but, as you rightly pointed out, common sense is on vacation.
Yes but as he claimed he only entered $2,000 which means that he should not have been invited under FSW as the first place! This is what he has to point out. This is just ridiculous.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Phil89 said:
Yes but as he claimed he only entered $2,000 which means that he should not have been invited under FSW as the first place! This is what he has to point out. This is just ridiculous.
That's not how it works.

If they are eligible for both programs (and the OP was indeed eligible for both FSW and CEC), they would always be invited under FSW. There is nothing to appeal there.

Phil89

Champion Member
Sep 11, 2014
Asivad Anac said:
That's not how it works.

If they are eligible for both programs (and the OP was indeed eligible for both FSW and CEC), they would always be invited under FSW. There is nothing to appeal there.
How can you be eligible for FSW with $2,000?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Phil89 said:
How can you be eligible for FSW with $2,000?
Because funds aren't part of the MEC (minimum eligibility criteria) for FSW. Foreign work experience, language skills and ECA are.

jemdill

Oct 20, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Because funds aren't part of the MEC (minimum eligibility criteria) for FSW. Foreign work experience, language skills and ECA are.
But Asivad if he puts any amount less than the Min Requested fund then automatically the Profile will update to Not eligible for FSW and will say only eligible for CEC.

I assume he got ITA under FSW by mistake and he should have declined that and waited for ITA under CEC.