+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application Form Questions

Cool2017

Feb 14, 2017
Hi all,

I will be applying for citizenship in the next few months and I have a few questions regarding the application form. I will list my questions below and will appreciate if anyone could help me with some useful answers.

Regarding question 6H (Work/Education history)
I became a PR in 2013. However, I arrived in Canada in 2011 and in 2012 went to school for a 1 year post grad certificate program which I will be using as my English proficiency proof. So my question is should I list all of my work/education history since I arrived in Canada in 2011 to show that I went to school or should I just list my work/education history since I became a PR in 2013? Also, in case I will just list my history since I became a PR so should I check the box for question 6HB "where you attending an educational institution or participating in English/ French language training during the relevant period?" Assuming that I only attended a course in 2015 for 7 weeks at a University to prepare for writing an exam for a professional designation? I also do have a letter from the university confirming my attendance.

Lastly, my passport is expiring soon and I will not renew it as I don't have any plans to travel outside Canada, so if apply for citizenship with an expired passport, would this trigger RQ?

Thanks!

tmota

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Montreal - Quebec
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't put anything prior to your PR status in the form, as it is not the "relevant period".

As for your passport, it's a judgment call, really. I prefer to have my travel documents in order if I have to go on an unplanned trip. Your citizenship process can last a from few months up to a year and, if you change your mind or have to travel for an emergency, you would have to renew your passport in a hurry, than send copies to be add to your citizenship process - which could cause delay. It might not trigger CIC - it's hard to tell for sure what causes FP requests and RQ - but I would save myself the hassle.