App. Filed.......
09-Sept-2011
File Transfer...
25-Nov-2011 Buffalo, transferred to New York on 16-Jan-2012
Med's Done....
06-Sept-2011
Passport Req..
05-March-2012
I'm a permanent resident in Canada and will sponsor my husband to immigrate to Canada. we don't have kids. when i fill up the application as below, i have some questions need ur help:

1. IMM0008DEP: ADDITIONAL DEPENDANT/DECLARATION FORM
we don't have dependant, do we need to fill this form (i mean fill up my husband's info as well)?

2. IMM 5406E ADDITIONAL FAMILY INFORMATION
SECTION A:
APPLICANT: MY HUSBAND'S NAME
SPOUSE: MY NAME
FATHER & MOTHER: Do we still need to fill up my husband's father & mother's information as well? even they will not apply for immigration?

3. IMM 5490E SPONSORED SPOUSE QUESTIONNAIRE
QUESTION 4: DID YOU GIVE YOUR SPONSOR ANY GIFTS?
Is it means when we met at first time? or we can list all gifts we gave to each other after we got together?

Thanks a lot in advance!

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
1) Not Applicable should go there, since you haven't any children. Don't just ignore the form.

2) Yes, you have to give details of his parents, even though they are not being sponsored.

3) You may list all the gifts.

Aneyshar

Jul 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
GUAT
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-JUL-2011
Med's Done....
22-JUN-2011
I always thought Question 4 on IMM 5490 referred ONLY to any gifts exchanged/given during the first initial meeting. I think the idea is to determine whether there were economical/material interests that may make the meeting of the two persons suspicious. I could be wrong... but that's the assumption I went by when answering that question.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yes, that question means gifts you gave each other at the first meeting. (With arranged marriages, this is common.)
But you should list gifts you gave each other during the course of your relationship somewhere - in the relationship letter is a good place.

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
canadianwoman said:
Yes, that question means gifts you gave each other at the first meeting. (With arranged marriages, this is common.)
But you should list gifts you gave each other during the course of your relationship somewhere - in the relationship letter is a good place.
Crikey, i feel like I havnt dont enough to prove our relationship, we didnt give eachother gifts on the first meeting so answered no, but over the course of 12 years of marriage, of course there have been loads of gifts but didnt list anything, do u think i should have done? we sent in about 120 photos of us as well asd our own wedding ones and you can see us aging over the time and with different people and you can see my daughters at our wedding then we have photos of us at my daughters wedding so you can see how they have changed and grown up.

we sent a mortgage agreement, rent agreements, bills in both names from 2001 to recent, phone bills for now of how were are calling eachother at the moment, a few cards we sent eachother (not all of them lol) and I think thats about it.
Do you think thats going to be ok?
Ok have to stop panicking, and probably stop reading so many posts lol.

missmini

Champion Member
Oct 6, 2009
Visa Office......
Amman
App. Filed.......
01-2012
Doc's Request.
05-2012 (CSQ approved)
AOR Received.
07-2012
File Transfer...
04-2012
Med's Done....
11-2011 (extended until 11-2013)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
02-2013 (finalyyyyyy)
LANDED..........
07-2013 (DONE - thank u all :):):))
MandyUK said:
Crikey, i feel like I havnt dont enough to prove our relationship, we didnt give eachother gifts on the first meeting so answered no, but over the course of 12 years of marriage, of course there have been loads of gifts but didnt list anything, do u think i should have done? we sent in about 120 photos of us as well asd our own wedding ones and you can see us aging over the time and with different people and you can see my daughters at our wedding then we have photos of us at my daughters wedding so you can see how they have changed and grown up.

we sent a mortgage agreement, rent agreements, bills in both names from 2001 to recent, phone bills for now of how were are calling eachother at the moment, a few cards we sent eachother (not all of them lol) and I think thats about it.
Do you think thats going to be ok?
Ok have to stop panicking, and probably stop reading so many posts lol.
Mandy, i did plan to show them the small gifts/souvenirs we gave or brought to each other throughout the relationship, i find a strong point for us and our situation; by show i mean either receipts or maybe some pictures; but u have lots of other stuff which we don't have...if u managed to show 12 years of marriage with pictures and others, i don't think u have anything to worry :) don't read into too detail what others put, each situation is different...

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Yeah, you have lots of proof of 12 years of marriage, and it certainly sounds like it must be enough. When people haven't been in a relationship for very long, they might have to use all the evidence they have, but it doesn't seem that you need more evidence than what you sent.

MandyUK

Jun 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd July 2011
File Transfer...
27th September 2011
Med's Done....
1st July 2011
Passport Req..
November 7th 2011
VISA ISSUED...
December 29th 2011
LANDED..........
24th Jan 2012. (Canada Place)
missmini said:
Mandy, i did plan to show them the small gifts/souvenirs we gave or brought to each other throughout the relationship, i find a strong point for us and our situation; by show i mean either receipts or maybe some pictures; but u have lots of other stuff which we don't have...if u managed to show 12 years of marriage with pictures and others, i don't think u have anything to worry :) don't read into too detail what others put, each situation is different...
thanks guys, I always over think things and secound guess myself. Ok where did i put the valium :p

dakonej

May 26, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MandyUK, i wouldnt worry to much or read into it more than necessary either.

The way I read that question (it's all in the semantics!) is that you need to indicate whether any gifts were exchanged by the two people involved in the relation on the FIRST MEETING. In fact, if you notice, (and sorry for being extra picky!), the entire second section of IMM-5490 (questions 2 through 6) is headlined "FIRST MEETING"! I think, had the CIC meant to indicate gifts given throughout the entire relationship up to the date of signing the form, the wording would have been "4. Have you given your sponsor any gifts?"; "5. Has your sponsor given you any gifts?" Also notice Question 6 continues with the logic of referring to the time when the couple met for the first time.

Cheers.