+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I believe this assertion is not entirely correct. Here is the wording directly from Govt. of Canada's website:

You may need to file taxes in Canada for at least 3 years during the 5 years right before the date you apply.
I do not believe that your friend will need to wait to file for citizenship application. Filing of taxation, if required, is the requirement. Typically they'd like to see you file for each of the 3 years (out of 5), but if you did not have to file a tax return for 3 out of the 5 years, there is no reason that you cannot apply for citizenship with 2 years of tax returns.
That's correct. If a person made no income or income less than the reporting threshold, then they would not have to file tax returns.

I assumed a large majority of citizenship grant applicants posting here either work and earn at least minimum wage that'll cross the reporting threshold OR claim benefits (HST return, CCB etc) that would require them to file tax return ; hence that statement.

Reactions: mayple

eparker42

Star Member
Apr 3, 2018
Vancouver
Category........
Other
Hello everyone,
I am planning to apply for my citizenship as I just became eligible. I am single applicant. I am confused if I should apply online or on paper.

if you guys can share advantages/disadvantages please, that will be very helpful.

Thanks
Since you are a single applicant, IMO it would be much straight forward and simpler to apply online, also saves the hassle of mailing etc.
I am looking forward to apply too in April, once I file my taxes this year.
Good luck:)

NoCanDoIt

Oct 21, 2017
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place for a question like this. Hoping one of you might know more about a situation like this:
A friend will be applying for her citizenship next month. Her current employer would like her to move to the US on a work visa after she puts in her application. Her concern is if there is any way that her moving to the US (while her application is in process) would jeopardize her citizenship application.

Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks!

QueenPeaches

Star Member
Jun 10, 2021
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right place for a question like this. Hoping one of you might know more about a situation like this:
A friend will be applying for her citizenship next month. Her current employer would like her to move to the US on a work visa after she puts in her application. Her concern is if there is any way that her moving to the US (while her application is in process) would jeopardize her citizenship application.

Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks!
No, moving to the US will not impact her application in anyway.
Depending on how long she will be away, she needs to:
1. Maintain her residency obligation (2 years out of the last 5 years) at all times
2. Be ready to return to Canada for her Oath ceremony (whenever that would be)

One thing though, she should fill out her application accurately so that it is not returned while she is away (if she decides to fill on paper).

urvishmehta92

Star Member
May 9, 2021
Hello Everyone,
I have a question regarding Oath ceremony invitation. I applied for citizenship last year and passed test in Sep2021. All boxes like language, Background check etc. are completed other than Oath ceremony from 23rd November. Is this normal? I mean how long does it take?

Let me know. Thanks in advance!!

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hello Everyone,
I have a question regarding Oath ceremony invitation. I applied for citizenship last year and passed test in Sep2021. All boxes like language, Background check etc. are completed other than Oath ceremony from 23rd November. Is this normal? I mean how long does it take?

Let me know. Thanks in advance!!
Yes, it's quite normal.

Nobody really has an accurate answer for the timeframe unfortunately. It varies wildly. I have seen people waiting 6 to 8 months after the test to get their oath. Apparently quite a few such candidates in mississsauga office.

a5w1n

Feb 22, 2018
Hello Everyone,

I am collecting the documents to apply for citizen. However, I am confused about the Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) requirements. I am applying online and in the portal it says
"In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?"

I came to Canada on a study permit in Sept 2018, landed and became a PR in May 2019. Before coming to Canada, I was in India for more than 183 days obviously as it is my country of Origin (COO). I haven't left Canada since I became PR. Do I have to get PCC from India again? I submitted PCC from India with my PR application. I know for the paper based application there is an exemption for COO, does the same exemption apply in the Online Portal? I am not able to find any concrete resources on this.

Last edited:

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am collecting the documents to apply for citizen. However, I am confused about the Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) requirements. I am applying online and in the portal it says

I came to Canada on a study permit in Sept 2018, landed and became a PR in May 2019. Before coming to Canada, I was in India for more than 183 days obviously as it is my country of Origin (COO). I haven't left Canada since I became PR. Do I have to get PCC from India again? I submitted PCC from India with my PR application. I know for the paper based application there is an exemption for COO, does the same exemption apply in the Online Portal? I am not able to find any concrete resources on this.
You should answer Yes and write PCC provided at the time of PR application
Check example 1
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step3

a5w1n

Feb 22, 2018
Hey Abbas,

Thank you so much for responding.

The top portion of the link that you shared with me says that this link deals with paper based applications and not web based applications.
Make sure you use a version of the application form dated October 2020 or later. You can find the version date on the bottom left corner of the form. For example, “CIT 0002 (10-2020)” means the version date is October 2020. The date you sign or mail your form does not change the version date.

If you submit your application on a form with a version date older than October 2017, we’ll return it to you and ask you to resubmit your application using the newest version of the form.
So I am concerned as to whether what's mentioned in that page is applicable to me, as my application is an online application and not a paper based one.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hey Abbas,

Thank you so much for responding.

The top portion of the link that you shared with me says that this link deals with paper based applications and not web based applications.

So I am concerned as to whether what's mentioned in that page is applicable to me, as my application is an online application and not a paper based one.
Requirements are same for online applicants.

saumil22

Oct 13, 2016
This question is for physical presence calculator :

I arrived in Canada in April 2014 as an international student and after my studies I had a work permit from Feb 2016 to April 2019. My PR didnt get approved by April 2019 and I had applied for work permit extension which never came and my PR came before that . My PR came on May 29 2019

In physical presence calculator they are asking me-

Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2017-01-27 and 2019-05-29 and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence

What is my status from 2017-01-27 to 2019-05-29 - A temporary Resident Permit holder or a Temporary worker.

Also my implied status was from April 01 to May 29 (when my PR came) what should I write in physcial presence calculator.

Thank you all in advance

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
This question is for physical presence calculator :

I arrived in Canada in April 2014 as an international student and after my studies I had a work permit from Feb 2016 to April 2019. My PR didnt get approved by April 2019 and I had applied for work permit extension which never came and my PR came before that . My PR came on May 29 2019

In physical presence calculator they are asking me-

Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between 2017-01-27 and 2019-05-29 and select Add Entry. Select Calculate when you have finished listing all periods of temporary residence

What is my status from 2017-01-27 to 2019-05-29 - A temporary Resident Permit holder or a Temporary worker.

Also my implied status was from April 01 to May 29 (when my PR came) what should I write in physcial presence calculator.

Thank you all in advance
Temporary Worker

emmycad

Star Member
Apr 20, 2018
Please guys,

We recently got AOR, family of 4 on January 5th 2022. I and my wife have been able to register on tracker to see the status of our application but i can't register my 2 kids on tracker. It keeps telling me incorrect UCI or Application number. At a time, i thought maybe kids application are not viewed on tracker that is why i can't register them on tracker. I and my wife had no problem at all registering on tracker.

My question , is this normal? Is the tracker only for adults?

Thanks everyone

Reactions: Ivan Duhok

jelvik

Jan 25, 2022
Hello,
Thank you for such detailed post.
I have a question on tax filing question.
Have been filing taxes since 2017 in Canada, so 3 year requirement is easily met. I will be filing for 2021 as well, but haven't done that yet (will do in March-April). I was planning to submit citizenship application early February. What should I select in the question about tax filing for 2021 tax year? Required to file - YES, Taxes filled - NO?
Wouldn't it be a reason to return my application? Is it safer to wait until I file taxes? Or should I even wait for NOA for 2021?