+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

116sg17

Jan 26, 2021
As minors (above 16) are exempt from quite a few requirements, what all should be set to "Completed" before we can expect an oath invite? Thanks.

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
Any reason why don't submit your application with exactly 1095 days?

I mean I will leave at least 1-2 weeks for buffer but OP suggest a longer buffers.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

bond333

Jun 16, 2017
Milton
App. Filed.......
09-01-2022
AOR Received.
01-03-2022
hello

Q1. Do I need to get a police certificate from USA ? here's my situation, I am an Indian national, was residing in the USA from 2015 to 2018.

1. Landed Nov 2018 as a Permanent Resident of Canada from USA
2. All of 2018 was in the US (more than 183 days criteria fulfilled) before landing in nov 2018

Q2. Can I use the same Police certificate from USA that I provided for Permanent resident application ?

Thanks.

bond333

Jun 16, 2017
Milton
App. Filed.......
09-01-2022
AOR Received.
01-03-2022
Thank you for putting this extensive guide.

Regarding Police Certificate -

Example 2 you have illustrated above is where I fall into.
however, on the cic.gc.ca website this is what they say with their example -

" You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
  • you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
  • this time falls within the past 4 years
If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box
Example 1

You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b."

my question to you is -

1. I fit into your example 2, I was in the US for 1 yr before becoming permanent resident in Canada.
so my country of Origin is USA for which I don't need a police certificate Correct ?

Thanks for your time providing your inputs.
Regards
bond333

CRKK

Dec 27, 2021
Thank you for the great information provided in this forum.

We are preparing my husband's citizenship application and have a question on Question 13 regarding immigration status in a country other than Canada. We do not have his passports prior to 1999 and therefore have no way to list specific countries / dates / visa information for travel prior to that. Should we just leave it out or should we write an explanation letter explaining the situation? We are planning to apply online.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hanzmolar

Feb 5, 2016
Hi,
I posted my inquiry two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I haven’t got an answer yet. I am reposting it hoping that someone can help. Thanx in advance.

Hello,
I have a question with regard to PCC. I understand that I should provide one if I spent 183 in any country other than Canada in the last 4 years.
When I complete the 1095 days required to apply fo citizenship this will be my situation.
1- 314 days in county A where I used to live and work and from where I applied for immigration and that was the address I wrote in my immigration application - It is not my home country
2- 51 days in my home country from where I travelled to Canada
3- 1095 days in Canada
Do I need to provide PCC from country A?

itzparth

Mar 29, 2018
Hi,
I posted my inquiry two weeks ago. Unfortunately, I haven’t got an answer yet. I am reposting it hoping that someone can help. Thanx in advance.

Hello,
I have a question with regard to PCC. I understand that I should provide one if I spent 183 in any country other than Canada in the last 4 years.
When I complete the 1095 days required to apply fo citizenship this will be my situation.
1- 314 days in county A where I used to live and work and from where I applied for immigration and that was the address I wrote in my immigration application - It is not my home country
3- 1095 days in Canada
Hi, I will be in similar situation as yours, Indian but resided / worked and applied for pr from USA and lived for more than 184 days there in 2018 but took a break and lived in India for 2 months before landing here as PR. From my research, yes, you will have to provide PCC from country A. However, I strongly advice you wait for what others have to say. Thanks !

Hanzmolar

Feb 5, 2016
Hi, I will be in similar situation as yours, Indian but resided / worked and applied for pr from USA and lived for more than 184 days there in 2018 but took a break and lived in India for 2 months before landing here as PR. From my research, yes, you will have to provide PCC from country A. However, I strongly advice you wait for what others have to say. Thanks !
Thank you itzparth.
My concern is that it will be nearly impossible to get it. I tried their embassy in Ottawa but with no luck.

itzparth

Mar 29, 2018
Thank you itzparth.
My concern is that it will be nearly impossible to get it. I tried their embassy in Ottawa but with no luck.
Sorry about that, at first, it's a thin line on how to decide what counts as country of origin. If you check this example, "
Example 1

You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.
" provided in official guide doc, now, if only you or myself would NOT have travelled to our respective home countries, and landed here as PR right from country A, we would have not required PCC for sure. BUt we did travel and this falls under the grey area of uncertainty. :(
Again, sorry that it's near impossible for you but there is always a way and I don't think it's wise to apply without one [PCC] so keep pushing to get one. All the best !

sanarya

Aug 9, 2019
Hi everyone

I have problem with the 2 ID for minors I can provide the the health card as a first ID and the second one is the problem as they want it with photo the only thing that I have is pr but I heard they don’t accept it for kids I don’t have travel documents also my passport was seized and I tried to get it back but couldn’t .could you please give me some ideas on what I can provide for them if anyone in the same situation what they did ?

Your response is really appreciated

balaprasad123

Star Member
Aug 27, 2016
Hi all,
Like to get your inputs on this.

work permit from 02 sep 2017 - 18 may 2018

applied for visitor visa few weeks before my work permit expiry date.

then after waiting for couple of months received docs under Visitor record status.
Date issued: 18 July 2018 expiry date : 18 Nov 2018

1.What is my status during this gap period between 18 may 2018 - 18 july 2018? Is it under work or visitor status.
2.Also in physical calculator drop down list which type I have to select for visitor record status.Is it visitor or Temporary resident permit holder

Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi everyone

I have problem with the 2 ID for minors I can provide the the health card as a first ID and the second one is the problem as they want it with photo the only thing that I have is pr but I heard they don’t accept it for kids I don’t have travel documents also my passport was seized and I tried to get it back but couldn’t .could you please give me some ideas on what I can provide for them if anyone in the same situation what they did ?

Your response is really appreciated
Child’s passport copy(bio pages only)can be included

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi,

Hello,
3- 1095 days in Canada
If you spent 314 days in country A continuously during the last 4 years, then yes, you will have to provide the PCC according to the instructions.

It would be trickier if let's say you spent 170 days at a stretch and then left country A and then again stayed for 144 days at a stretch.

But based on current situation, yes, you should provide PCC.