+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

surbee

Star Member
Mar 6, 2019
Hello everyone

In the citizenship form, there is a section for detailing ones immigration and citizenship status. I have a query regarding the time period which is to be entered.
  1. I initially studied in US on F1 Visa. F1 Visa was stamped from July 2011 to July 2015, whereas my course was finished in 2 years by May 2013.
  2. Then, I worked on OPT from July 2013 until Sep 2016.
  3. Then, I worked on H1B status from Oct 2016 until Oct 2018 and moved to Canada in Nov 2018. H1B was stamped from Nov 2016 until Aug 2019.
  4. So, in this scenario, how shall I fill up my status information ?
  5. Do I go by the dates on the visa stamps (Eg: Student from 2011 to 2015, Worker from 2016 to 2019); OR
  6. Do I go by actual dates I studied and worked ? (Eg: Student from 2011 to 2013, Worker from 2013 to 2019)
This information is really bugging me as visa dates are different from actual studied and working dates. Please provide some guidance on this ?

surbee

Star Member
Mar 6, 2019
I know there is a known glitch where From dates in Physical presence calculator and the Application form differ by a day. So, when I enter my Address History, which From date shall I use ? The one mentioned in the Physical presence calculator form, correct ?

Eg: Physical presence calculator indicates eligibility period of Nov 19 2016 - Nov 18 2021 whereas in application form it is Nov 18 2016 - Nov 18 2021. So, for mentioning my first address, I should use From: Nov 19, 2016 , correct ? or mention Nov 18, 2016 to be on safe side ?

surbee

Star Member
Mar 6, 2019
One more question, while renewing my PR application last year, in work and education history, I had forgotten to mention the one year of education history which happened simultaneously while I was working. I used to work during day and attend evening classes. I mentioned the employment information for that time period, but forgot to mention the education classes I took as a full time student.

While applying for Citizenship, under section Work, school and activities, I want to mention this previously missed education history along with my employment history. Will mentioning this now cause any issues in the processing of the citizenship application ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello everyone

In the citizenship form, there is a section for detailing ones immigration and citizenship status. I have a query regarding the time period which is to be entered.
  1. I initially studied in US on F1 Visa. F1 Visa was stamped from July 2011 to July 2015, whereas my course was finished in 2 years by May 2013.
  2. Then, I worked on OPT from July 2013 until Sep 2016.
  3. Then, I worked on H1B status from Oct 2016 until Oct 2018 and moved to Canada in Nov 2018. H1B was stamped from Nov 2016 until Aug 2019.
  4. So, in this scenario, how shall I fill up my status information ?
  5. Do I go by the dates on the visa stamps (Eg: Student from 2011 to 2015, Worker from 2016 to 2019); OR
  6. Do I go by actual dates I studied and worked ? (Eg: Student from 2011 to 2013, Worker from 2013 to 2019)
This information is really bugging me as visa dates are different from actual studied and working dates. Please provide some guidance on this ?
My suggestion is to go by the dates on the visa stamps:
-Student from 2011 to 2016(Student Visa/F1), Since Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a program that temporarily allows international students with an F-1 visa, I would suggest to include this period here...
- Worker from 2016 to 2019

Reactions: surbee

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I know there is a known glitch where From dates in Physical presence calculator and the Application form differ by a day. So, when I enter my Address History, which From date shall I use ? The one mentioned in the Physical presence calculator form, correct ?

Eg: Physical presence calculator indicates eligibility period of Nov 19 2016 - Nov 18 2021 whereas in application form it is Nov 18 2016 - Nov 18 2021. So, for mentioning my first address, I should use From: Nov 19, 2016 , correct ? or mention Nov 18, 2016 to be on safe side ?
Use Nov 18 2016. Dates outside eligibility period are not relevant
PS: you can always try the various scenarios as test and come up with an approach which is best suited to you..

surbee

Star Member
Mar 6, 2019
Thanks @abbas.pasha for your help. I will follow that.

Can you also recommend something for the following 2 queries:
  1. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-for-canadian-citizenship-a-comprehensive-guide.687393/post-9861650 ?
  2. For the photo, I am uploading a digital copy which the photographer provided and will add the information from the photographer in the form field. Shall I also upload a scanned copy of the backside mentioning the photographer's stamp and date ?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
One more question, while renewing my PR application last year, in work and education history, I had forgotten to mention the one year of education history which happened simultaneously while I was working. I used to work during day and attend evening classes. I mentioned the employment information for that time period, but forgot to mention the education classes I took as a full time student.

While applying for Citizenship, under section Work, school and activities, I want to mention this previously missed education history along with my employment history. Will mentioning this now cause any issues in the processing of the citizenship application ?
That should be fine and should not have an impact on your application imho

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks @abbas.pasha for your help. I will follow that.
  1. For the photo, I am uploading a digital copy which the photographer provided and will add the information from the photographer in the form field. Shall I also upload a scanned copy of the backside mentioning the photographer's stamp and date ?
I suggest you refer this link: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/citizenship-application-photograph-specifications.html

moosepunch

Dec 13, 2021
If your first entry is saying 15 July 2016 to Present then why are you entering 2nd May 2017 etc as an additional entries ?
The 15 july to present is my current house in canada where I live permanently. The other entries are trips where I stayed hence the additional entries. The first entry I assumed it was the current address I live at... Otherwise I have to add my current address in between each trip? Am I doing this wrong?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
The 15 july to present is my current house in canada where I live permanently. The other entries are trips where I stayed hence the additional entries. The first entry I assumed it was the current address I live at... Otherwise I have to add my current address in between each trip? Am I doing this wrong?
Yes you are doing it incorrectly
Business trip are temporary which you are any how recording with physical presence calculator
If your trips were for work, pleasure etc you should not include those address in this section

Reactions: moosepunch