+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

It's unlikely they'll ask for receipts/rental agreements - but yes, you should mention the AirBnB address since you had no other address at the time and they specifically state you cannot leave in any gaps.
+1 - I mentioned my AirBNB address that we stayed in for the first 30 days after landing.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Should we include volunteer experience in "tell us what have you been doing in the last 5 years". I have about 9 months of volunteer experience

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
You can apply online - but it will be individual applications. Their last press release on online applications does mention that they will support group applications 'later this year' - so you could either wait or apply as individuals online or apply as a group via the physical channel.
I tried to apply online and when it asked me about if I am applying alone or single. I clicked as a family and it said that I couldn't apply online. I will apply with my husband but the form I downloaded the form,this form doesn't mention anything about my husband. I am wondering if there is another form that I missed or there is only this one. TIA

I tried to apply online and when it asked me about if I am applying alone or single. I clicked as a family and it said that I couldn't apply online. I will apply with my husband but the form I downloaded the form,this form doesn't mention anything about my husband. I am wondering if there is another form that I missed or there is only this one. TIA
If you select, apply as single, it will let you apply.

If you apply as family on paper, each person will still have their own form.

N.Ali

Nov 19, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad/London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22nd January 2013
Doc's Request.
28th July 2014
AOR Received.
5th Febuary 2013
File Transfer...
5th July 2014 to London
Med's Request
28th July 2014
Med's Done....
1st Medical 10th Dec 2012. 2nd Medical 28th August 2014
Passport Req..
21th January 2015
VISA ISSUED...
28th February 2015
LANDED..........
31th July 2015
hi. can anyone provide a format for : language proof , letter from institution'? im working at Tim Hortons as GM from for the last 4 years, if someone has a format please pm me, thanks.

NiekyE

Sep 28, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
23-12-2017
Hi there,
Apologies if I am asking a question that has already been answered but there are a lot of pages to go through.

For the police record (or pcc) if I lived in my home country right before moving to Canada do I still need to submit a PCC?

I had to submit one for my PR application.
Thanks in advance!

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Hi there,
Apologies if I am asking a question that has already been answered but there are a lot of pages to go through.

For the police record (or pcc) if I lived in my home country right before moving to Canada do I still need to submit a PCC?

Thanks in advance!
You don't need to provide police record if you lived in your home country. Hope this helps

wink

May 25, 2021
Hi there,

Thanks in advance!
I think it depends on whether you visited your home country, after becoming PR, and lived there more than 183 days in a row.

NiekyE

Sep 28, 2017
Category........
FSW
AOR Received.
23-12-2017
I think it depends on whether you visited your home country, after becoming PR, and lived there more than 183 days in a row.
Thank you!! I haven’t left Canada for more than 10 days since I landed as a PR. The year planned for return was when the pandemic actually came and so I haven’t travelled since. But thanks for this note though.

Reactions: wink

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you!! I haven’t left Canada for more than 10 days since I landed as a PR. The year planned for return was when the pandemic actually came and so I haven’t travelled since. But thanks for this note though.
If you follow these examples maybe you can idenify example that is applicable in your scenario

1. Police certificate(s)
    You need to provide a police certificate from each country, other than Canada, if you were there
    • in the past 4 years
    • for 183 days or more in a row
    • since the age of 18
  2. Indicate in the chart the name of each country and provide a police certificate.
    You don’t need to provide a police certificate if
    • you were in your country of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada, and
    • this time falls within the past 4 years
  3. If you can’t get a police certificate, tell us why in the explanation box.
    To be valid, the police certificate must be either issued
    • after the last time you were in that country, or
    • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application
  4. We may request a police certificate at any point during processing, even if you submitted a valid certificate with your application.
    Find out how to get a police certificate
    See the following examples to help you answer this question.
    Example 1
    You lived in France for one year (365 days) before you became a permanent resident 3 years ago. You did not travel to France after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France if you did not provide one with your immigration application. If you provided a police certificate from France with your immigration application, tell us this in the box provided at Question 10b.
    Example 2
    You became a permanent resident 3 years and 9 months ago. In the past 4 years, you lived in Brazil for 3 months (90 days) before you became a permanent resident and you returned to Brazil to visit family for 4 months (120 days) after you became a permanent resident. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from Brazil because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in Brazil.
    Example 3
    In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide a police certificate from the USA because you did not spend 183 days or more in a row in the USA.
    Example 4
    In the past 4 years, you travelled to Singapore four times for work. The first trip was for 30 days; the second trip was for 200 days; the third trip was for 60 days; and the fourth trip was for 120 days. While in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore because your second trip was more than 183 days in a row. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
    Example 5
    In the past 4 years, you took 1 trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more in a row. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Maybe this examples will help you more

• A police certificate is only needed (or not needed) as demonstrated by the following examples. (NOTE: Country of origin is NOT the same as country of citizenship).
      • Example 1 -, Raj moved to Canada in June 2017. Assuming Raj signs the citizenship application on 09 October 2020, the "4-year period" would be from 08 October 2016 to 08 October 2020. Though Raj lived in India from 08 October 2016 to June 2017 (greater than 183 days), he does NOT have to provide a Police Certificate because he was in his country of origin immediately prior to establishing permanent residence. But he has to make an entry in the table and explain why he isn't providing a certificate - "Lived in country of origin immediately before establishing PR in Canada".
      • Example 2 - Let's assume that Raj (who is an Indian citizen), lived in the US from 08 October 2016 to June 2017). He applied and got Canadian PR when he was working in the US on H1-B visa. Even in this case, Raj does NOT have to produce a police certificate because US was his country of origin just before establishing his PR in Canada. But he has to make an entry in the table and explain why he isn't providing a certificate - "Lived in country of origin immediately before establishing PR in Canada".
      • Example 3 - Joseph landed in Canada as a PR in May 2017. Before he landed, he was an Indian citizen living in India. He remained in Canada till August 2017. He moved to Singapore for work related reasons from September 2017 to May 2018. He returned back to Canada in late May 2018. When applying for citizenship in October 2020, Joseph MUST submit a Police Certificate for Singapore but NOT for India. He has to make an entry in the table and explain why he isn't providing a certificate for India - "Lived in country of origin immediately before establishing PR in Canada". For Singapore, he needs to write something like "Please see attached Police Certificate for Singapore".
  • IRCC has worded it like this "Note: If you were in your country or territory of origin immediately prior to becoming a permanent resident and landing in Canada and this time falls within this four (4) year period, you are not required to provide a police certificate. Please indicate this in the explanation box."

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
Hello friends,

Does travelling outside Canada after submitting the citizenship application, delay the process?

If not, then when and how many days would be reasonable?

I have yet to submit my application, but would like to time the trip well, for zero affect on my application. Please share your understanding.

Reactions: AlexandraO

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
Hi!
I am preparing online citizenship application for myself. Can you please advise whether I should put addresses where I was travelling (less than 2 months) into section Residence and Tax. List of all addresses inside and outside of Canada during your entire 5-year eligibility period.
There is no section in application about travelling, so I am confused.
Can you please help
Thank you!
Sasha