+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
Hello friends,

Does travelling outside Canada after submitting the citizenship application, delay the process?

If not, then when and how many days would be reasonable?

I have yet to submit my application, but would like to time the trip well, for zero affect on my application. Please share your understanding.

Interested in the same question. Also in the process of submitting in October and going to travel in December. My friend (she is immigration advisor) told me I can travel as much as I want without affect on my citizen application as much as I am 3 years from 5 lives in Canada. But I am still afraid about 183 days limit per year. I thought we would lost PR if we are more than 183 days outside of Canada.
Will also wait for answer from forum guys please!:)

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
One more question please: can be expired CELPIP or IELTS exam results be eligible for language proof?
is it better to provide College Diploma and appendix with showing that there were ESL (English as second Language)??
thank you!

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
Section about Work and school is a little bit confusing too.
They are asking to put periods of Unemployment. I am doing so. But what should I put as an address? just my address where I lived this time?
what if I was travelling during this period? should it be stated in Work and school section too?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello friends,

Does travelling outside Canada after submitting the citizenship application, delay the process?

I have yet to submit my application, but would like to time the trip well, for zero affect on my application. Please share your understanding.
Interested in the same question. Also in the process of submitting in October and going to travel in December. My friend (she is immigration advisor) told me I can travel as much as I want without affect on my citizen application as much as I am 3 years from 5 lives in Canada. But I am still afraid about 183 days limit per year. I thought we would lost PR if we are more than 183 days outside of Canada.
Will also wait for answer from forum guys please!:)
It doesn't necessarily delay the process. Short trips / vacations shouldn't be an issue. Even for longer absences from Canada, if you apply with enough buffer days and you meet the 3/5 year physical presence requirement and your residency obligation is in good standing (2/5 years presence in Canada), you should be good IMO.

Reactions: Rutherfords

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi!
I am preparing online citizenship application for myself. Can you please advise whether I should put addresses where I was travelling (less than 2 months) into section Residence and Tax. List of all addresses inside and outside of Canada during your entire 5-year eligibility period.
There is no section in application about travelling, so I am confused.
Can you please help
Thank you!
Sasha
Travel history is requested in the physical presence calculator. For short trips where you stayed in hotels etc, you don't have to provide those addresses. For longer stays in a place, you might want to provide the address of the hotel/house you were staying in abroad.

Reactions: AlexandraO

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
One more question please: can be expired CELPIP or IELTS exam results be eligible for language proof?
is it better to provide College Diploma and appendix with showing that there were ESL (English as second Language)??
thank you!
Expired IELTS-General results are accepted. You can use the same IELTS report you used for your PR application.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Section about Work and school is a little bit confusing too.
They are asking to put periods of Unemployment. I am doing so. But what should I put as an address? just my address where I lived this time?
what if I was travelling during this period? should it be stated in Work and school section too?
For periods of unemployment, use your home address. Doesn't matter if you were traveling, if your primary residence was your home address, you can still use that.

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Hello friends,

I don't think travelling after the application affects the number of days. The number of days is calculated from the day you sign the doc and backwards.

Reactions: Rutherfords

Rutherfords

Star Member
Sep 7, 2021
It doesn't necessarily delay the process. Short trips / vacations shouldn't be an issue. Even for longer absences from Canada, if you apply with enough buffer days and you meet the 3/5 year physical presence requirement and your residency obligation is in good standing (2/5 years presence in Canada), you should be good IMO.
Thank you so much for your clear response!

Just one more thing - I understand that in a regular application, one would expect to receive the AOR in approx two months or so.

But what other part of the process might necessarily require the applicant to be in Canada (Interview, Oath etc.)? And when(what approx. month range after applying) might a person consider staying put in Canada to not miss out or delay the process?

Also does any of the correspondence come exclusively via snail mail - and is not updated in ECAS, which one would miss out, if not in Canada?

Thank you!

Last edited:

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
Can you please help me with one more question. Its probably not that important but I am nervous to do any mistake even small in application.
So for Residence dates - if I move from one apartment to another , should be To and From date the same?
Like Lived in 1st apartment from 1July 2018 to 1 September 2019
2nd apartment from 1 September 2019 to 31 December 2020?

or 1st apartment from 1July 2018 to 31st of Augusy 2019?

thank you

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you so much for your clear response!

Just one more thing - I understand that in a regular application, one would expect to receive the AOR in approx two months or so.

But what other part of the process might necessarily require the applicant to be in Canada (Interview, Oath etc.)? And when(what approx. month range after applying) might a person consider staying put in Canada to not miss out or delay the process?

Also does any of the correspondence come exclusively via snail mail - and is not updated in ECAS, which one would miss out, if not in Canada?

Thank you!
1. 2 - 3 months for AOR is normal.
2. You'll need to be in Canada for interview and oath AFAIK. For other events (test), you don't have to be in Canada. Interviews are rare these days.
3. You'll need to be in Canada for oath. 12 - 15 months after application IMO (conservative estimate).
4. Everything is done via email / online requests. You'll receive the citizenship certificate via snail-mail.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Can you please help me with one more question. Its probably not that important but I am nervous to do any mistake even small in application.
So for Residence dates - if I move from one apartment to another , should be To and From date the same?
Like Lived in 1st apartment from 1July 2018 to 1 September 2019
2nd apartment from 1 September 2019 to 31 December 2020?

or 1st apartment from 1July 2018 to 31st of Augusy 2019?

thank you
Overlaps are fine so it doesn't matter. However, do NOT leave any gaps, not even a single day.