+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

expressimmigrant

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Hey Guys - does anybody know how long does it normally take to receive a Citizenship Certificate after a ceremony? Is it possible to apply for a passport right after the ceremony (say, the next day) or it is a requirement to have the certificate on hands?

Thank you!
You need to have the certificate first because they require you to disclose the original certificate with the passport application and afterwards, they mail the original certificate back to you

Reactions: SamRD

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hey Guys - does anybody know how long does it normally take to receive a Citizenship Certificate after a ceremony? Is it possible to apply for a passport right after the ceremony (say, the next day) or it is a requirement to have the certificate on hands?

Thank you!
It takes anywhere between a week to a month to receive the certificate. You CANNOT apply for passport under any circumstance without the original citizenship certificate.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
It takes anywhere between a week to a month to receive the certificate. You CANNOT apply for passport under any circumstance without the original citizenship certificate.
Hello @rajkamalmohanram

I saw your signature with timeline which says MIS IRCC called you.
Is it for final validation of submitted documents which they requested for passport or something else?

So happy for you bud. You have completed the process in less than a year :)
Gives me hope that it can be processed on time.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello @rajkamalmohanram

I saw your signature with timeline which says MIS IRCC called you.
Is it for final validation of submitted documents which they requested for passport or something else?

So happy for you bud. You have completed the process in less than a year :)
Gives me hope that it can be processed on time.
Thanks. Mine was urgent processing (I applied for urgent processing after I submitted the passport pages). The call was to inform that the urgent processing request and my citizenship application were both approved and to check if I'm available on August 23rd for oath.

Sky-Walker

Jun 10, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Feb-2016
Nomination.....
SINP
AOR Received.
06-Feb-2016
IELTS Request
With Application
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
ALHAMDULLIAH
LANDED..........
30-Dec-2016
What address should I put while I was unemployed? Is it my home address or just write N/A?

Thanks

Sky-Walker

Jun 10, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-Feb-2016
Nomination.....
SINP
AOR Received.
06-Feb-2016
IELTS Request
With Application
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
16-May-2016
VISA ISSUED...
ALHAMDULLIAH
LANDED..........
30-Dec-2016
Thanks @rajkamalmohanram

Jan 2017 to Jun 2017, I was unemployed, but during that period I lived at two different addresses, 3 months on address A and 3 months on Address B.

Should I create two different Occupation/Activity entries with each address?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SamRD

Aug 19, 2021
Hey Guys, I am wondering if it is possible to obtain the first Canadian passport from outside Canada?

Thanks!

expressimmigrant

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017

SamRD

Aug 19, 2021
The below link has the requirements to apply for a Canadian passport from outside Canada.

Note the Guarantor requirement, original citizenship certificate, Commercial Photographer/studio for photos and Guarantor signing the photo.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/new-adult-passport/apply-how.html
Thank you, @expressimmigrant ! Looks like applying from abroad for the first passport is a doable option. At least, could not see anything directly prohibiting this

adolfbuddha

Sep 28, 2017
hi guys I am planning for this Augus I am applying for 2 daughter
1.one started school last year and so what are educational doc I need to submit ,
2. i have my daughter report card in my mail without the teacher or principal sign is that ok
3.if report card is not ok how to get student index card

wink

May 25, 2021
hi guys I am planning for this Augus I am applying for 2 daughter
1.one started school last year and so what are educational doc I need to submit ,
2. i have my daughter report card in my mail without the teacher or principal sign is that ok
3.if report card is not ok how to get student index card
You could ask your school to provide an "enrolment letter for immigration/citizenship purpose" for your child. I think this could be used for this purpose.

monali3010

Aug 24, 2021
I wanted to ask that does Canadian passport writes spouse name in the information that is printed in passport. There is no name change and I am also mentioning that I am married.