+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram Thank you for starting this extremely helpful thread. Has anyone created a similar thread for online applications? If it exists, perhaps the moderator could convert that one into a sticky thread as well.
Sorry if this was already asked before. Didn't mean to spam.
There isn't a detailed guide for online applications on this forum (or at least there isn't one I know about). One of the reasons might be there are sufficient instructions on the online application site and the process is pretty simple.

Reactions: ani8886

SSALH

Apr 2, 2020
is it normal to receive travel document request copies?
we have attached all the copies with application.
please advise if this could be a scam?

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Hi, was there any clarification from IRCC on how far back in time they want one's immigration statuses- the eligibility period/since turned 18/lifetime? I have tonnes of visit visas going back to childhood that would be cumbersome to enter.

The question I have however is this immigration status required for a period of 5 year or 4 years or lifetime ?
Good question. Till IRCC clarifies we should assume it to be lifetime, I think.
I am doing this for the eligibility period Aug 2016 to Aug 2021.

If I start doing for the entire life I will swamp the application form with dates... imagine flying from Dubai to Muscat or Doha or Manama or Kuwait and return the same evening. This used to be the norm at least 8-10 times in a month., all the way since early 2000s :)...

Any other suggestion regards to validity wrt Q13 ?
@rajkamalmohanram

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, was there any clarification from IRCC on how far back in time they want one's immigration statuses- the eligibility period/since turned 18/lifetime? I have tonnes of visit visas going back to childhood that would be cumbersome to enter.
Well, there isn't a timeline mentioned in the application or in the instruction guide. Provide everything you remember IMO.

azaadpanchee

Star Member
Nov 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-03-2017
Med's Done....
06-04-2017
Hello. Thank you for creating taking the time to create this thread and all the helpful info.
I have a question which I am hoping someone can answer.
Regarding Police Clearance Certificate (PCC):
I obtained my PCC for India in December, 2019 which was after I left India. Since obtaining the PCC, I have not been back to India. My interpretation is the PCC should still be valid for the purpose of my citizenship application even though it is more than 6 months old as it was issued after the last time I was in that country (India). Am I right? This is what it says (bold emphasis is my own):
"The police certificate must be issued
  • after the last time you were in that country or territory, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application"
Thanks in advance. Hopefully this is not a question that has been asked before and I simply missed it.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello. Thank you for creating taking the time to create this thread and all the helpful info.
I have a question which I am hoping someone can answer.
Regarding Police Clearance Certificate (PCC):
I obtained my PCC for India in December, 2019 which was after I left India. Since obtaining the PCC, I have not been back to India. My interpretation is the PCC should still be valid for the purpose of my citizenship application even though it is more than 6 months old as it was issued after the last time I was in that country (India). Am I right? This is what it says (bold emphasis is my own):
"The police certificate must be issued
  • after the last time you were in that country or territory, or
  • no more than 6 months before the date you sign your citizenship application"
Thanks in advance. Hopefully this is not a question that has been asked before and I simply missed it.
That's correct.

However, you don't need to submit an Indian PCC if you never stayed in India for 183 days or more in a row in the past 4 years OR if you stayed in India for 183 days or more in the past 4 years but India was your country of origin immediately before you established Permanent Residence in Canada and you never stayed in India for 183 days or more after you became a PR.

azaadpanchee

Star Member
Nov 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Inland
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
15-03-2017
Med's Done....
06-04-2017
That's correct.

However, you don't need to submit an Indian PCC if you never stayed in India for 183 days or more in a row in the past 4 years OR if you stayed in India for 183 days or more in the past 4 years but India was your country of origin immediately before you established Permanent Residence in Canada and you never stayed in India for 183 days or more after you became a PR.
Thank you sir! This saves me the trouble and cost involved to get a new PCC.
Yes, I was aware that PCC is not required if India is my country of origin before I became a PR as I saw it mentioned in your guide or on CIC's official guide. Unfortunately, that does not apply to me but I appreciate the info.
Once again, thank you for all that you've done on this forum and for responding.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

alex.web

Aug 17, 2021
Hello everyone,

Could someone confirm if a married couple can apply online separately?

The reason of this is because currently the "online application" option is only available if you're applying just for yourself.

Thanks

expressimmigrant

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Hello everyone,

The reason of this is because currently the "online application" option is only available if you're applying just for yourself.

Thanks
As per the website you can only apply online if every one of you applies individually. In that case, every application will have its own timeline for processing.

If you apply together as a family, it has to be paper based and all applications sent in one envelope. In that case, the applications will be processed together.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=734&top=5

wink

May 25, 2021
Hello everyone,

Thanks
You apply for yourself and your spouse applies for him/herself :)

Reactions: alex.web

expressimmigrant

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Is it better to apply Online or Paper based? It seems like online is hardly moving..

TIA..
Not necessarily, When the online was first launched back in December 2020, the first applicants who applied mostly have completed the Oath already a couple of months ago.

Apparently applicants with paper based applications, who have been waiting for 6+ months and even more than a year, complained about that.

After that, everything is moving at different paces regardless of online/paper and no one can determine what is the prioritization criteria (other than applications that get "urgent processing" as outlined per the CIC website

SamRD

Aug 19, 2021
Hey Guys - does anybody know how long does it normally take to receive a Citizenship Certificate after a ceremony? Is it possible to apply for a passport right after the ceremony (say, the next day) or it is a requirement to have the certificate on hands?

Thank you!