+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hey guys had a question regarding citizenship application.
My passport expires in December 2021 and I will be eligible to apply citizenship by April 2021.

Should I renew my current passport and then apply for citizenship or I can go ahead with my current passport?
If go ahead with my current passport, will IRCC get back at later point to send updated renewed passport or they will be fine with it as long as it is valid when the application package was sent.
Passport expiry will not have any bearing on your citizenship application. You can apply for citizenship now and renew your passport whenever you see the need. If you get an interview and IRCC asks for your passports, you can provide all the passports you hold/held for the time period they request it for.

Reactions: Troy2245

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi Everyone,
So I have been contemplating filling out the citizenship form and have read all 50 pages! Hats off to @rajkamalmohanram and to all who are helping out in this thread. I have a the following question:-

In question 12 a) Provide the 9-digit number you use to file your income taxes with CRA: This is my SIN number right?

In question 12 b) Tell us when you filed your income taxes in the last five (5) years using the chart below.:
This being almost mid February 2021, for 2020 year should I put required to file as "Yes" and Taxes filed as "No". I can't file now because I don't have my T4 forms. If this is okay, will it be alright if I submit this in March or even April with "Yes" and "No"?
12)a => Yes
12 b) I would recommend asking someone who applied recently. There are different answers in different places, I do not want to provide an incorrect answer.

Reactions: teppenyaki010110

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hey @rajkamalmohanram . Currently I am in Ontario and planning to move to Quebec next month to settle there.

Do you see any changes process wise concerns applying citizenship from Ontario Vs quebec?
Let me know

Gondal27

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Please someone responds. Ontario id of my wife has an old address where we lived one year before and didn't update the address on the id. Can we submit this id with old address or should we have the same address as present on id?? Guide didn't say about the address but to provide two pieces of id with application. Response is appreciated

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016
Hi Everyone,
So I have been contemplating filling out the citizenship form and have read all 50 pages! Hats off to @rajkamalmohanram and to all who are helping out in this thread. I have a the following question:-

In question 12 a) Provide the 9-digit number you use to file your income taxes with CRA: This is my SIN number right?

In question 12 b) Tell us when you filed your income taxes in the last five (5) years using the chart below.:
This being almost mid February 2021, for 2020 year should I put required to file as "Yes" and Taxes filed as "No". I can't file now because I don't have my T4 forms. If this is okay, will it be alright if I submit this in March or even April with "Yes" and "No"?
1. Yes, that is your SIN
2. If you apply now, and you are supposed to file taxes for 2020, mark "Yes" on required to file and "No" to filed. In addition to that, what I did was I added a letter of explanation why I have marked the filed column as "No" (Not received T4/T5 etc)

If you were not required to file taxes for 2020, then both will be "No"

If you submit the application in April, I would strongly recommend that you file your taxes before that so that you can mark both boxes as "Yes". Not filed 2020 taxes by April may raise suspicion, as the Tax Receipts for 2020 would be in your CRA account by 22 Feb, or max by 28Feb. Though there is nothing stopping you from adding an LOE stating why you have not filed your taxes.

Reactions: teppenyaki010110

Naina888

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Hi,
I want to ask a question related to language proof for citizenship. I have studied bachelors of commerce from Karachi University but lost my degree, I have the transcript though. The transcript is in English but doesn’t mention specifically that the language of instruction of the program was English. Should I attach my transcript and that would be enough or do I have to do an english-certificate course?
TIA :)

Star Member
Jul 8, 2017
@rajkamalmohanram

Thanks. My employment history is a bit complexed and not very straightforward. There is another employment where the agency was my employer and I was working on their client site throughout the period. T4/Salary slip has the agency's head office address in AB however I resided and worked in ON. My agency correspondence for attendance and pay-related matters was with their Toronto office. Toronto office address got changed when I was about to leave and also the company name got changed.

In my spousal sponsorship, I wrote both new/old names as my employer and provided the latest Toronto address. For citizenship, would this approach be fine? I had been overthinking because there is nothing straightforward here.

Shall I put a LOE or is my approach fine?

Last edited:

Lifehack

Dec 19, 2016
Category........
FSW
Hello

Did anyone apply for online citizenship and got an AOR yet? I have my date to apply coming soon. Still, contemplating should I apply by paper or online?

Parisuzy

Feb 22, 2020
Hi guys. Re obligation days for citizenship___when should we start counting? Is it from receving COPR or reciving the PR card or issuing the card? Thanks for your help

Glory. A. O

Jan 21, 2021
Hi guys. Re obligation days for citizenship___when should we start counting? Is it from receving COPR or reciving the PR card or issuing the card? Thanks for your help
If you came in from outside Canada, it's from the day you landed in Canada.
If you were already in Canada, I believe that it's from the day you presented yourself at a point of entry.
Usually your effective date is written on your COPR when you present yourself at a point of entry.

Parisuzy

Feb 22, 2020
If you came in from outside Canada, it's from the day you landed in Canada.
If you were already in Canada, I believe that it's from the day you presented yourself at a point of entry.
Usually your effective date is written on your COPR when you present yourself at a point of entry.
Thanks for your advice. I was inland. So does it mean the date written on my COPR, will be the criteria?

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018