+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

engray

Champion Member
Jul 20, 2018
Hi All,

I am going to send the application today. Just couple of questions

1. My physical calculator is 2021-02-10 and i believe we need to sign the same date in the application
2. what are the forms that we need to sign? I see

application,physical caluculator, LOE(if applicable) and one photo. Please advise if there is any other we need to sign
There is no need to sign the physical calculator: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html#Step2

Follow everything in the cic guide and you will be good to go

Gondal27

Star Member
Feb 1, 2020
Ontario id of my wife has an old address where we lived one year before and didn't update the address on the id. Can we submit this id with old address or should we have the same address as present on id?? Guide didn't say about the address but to provide two pieces of id with application. Response is appreciated.

crafty_rach

Jun 6, 2016
Hello, just a question about the 'What have you been doing for the last 5 years?' section ... after I left Australia and before I settled in Canada there was a period of 3 months where I was travelling around the US and Canada, often back and forth between the two from week to week. I activated my original IEC visa somewhere in the middle of it.
Do I list this period as 'unemployed' or do I put 'Tourist/travel USA and Canada'?

Address wise I still have my Australian address listed for this period as I did not yet have a permanent address is Canada because I was travelling - I did the same thing with the address for that time on my PR application and it seemed to be fine.

Thanks!!

kurtrules

Star Member
May 6, 2016

teppenyaki010110

Jul 8, 2017
Hi Everyone,
So I have been contemplating filling out the citizenship form and have read all 50 pages! Hats off to @rajkamalmohanram and to all who are helping out in this thread. I have a the following question:-

In question 12 a) Provide the 9-digit number you use to file your income taxes with CRA: This is my SIN number right?

In question 12 b) Tell us when you filed your income taxes in the last five (5) years using the chart below.:
This being almost mid February 2021, for 2020 year should I put required to file as "Yes" and Taxes filed as "No". I can't file now because I don't have my T4 forms. If this is okay, will it be alright if I submit this in March or even April with "Yes" and "No"?

Star Member
Jul 8, 2017
@rajkamalmohanram

I have two questions pertaining to citizenship application. I applied for spousal sponsorship last year and now will be applying for citizenship. There is some data that was the same in spousal sponsorship but there were some issues that I think I need to address.

1.I worked for company B which was a subsidiary of company A. My first paycheck and employee card and even company policy/building were of company A(Parent company) however then all pay stubs and T4 have company B's name. I wrote employer as Company B/ Company A in the spousal sponsorship application. Can I write the same employer name as Company B/Company A and give a letter of explanation? Will be an issue. I don't want data to be inconsistent.

2. I own a corporation that still exists but I only worked for 1 month in 2017. Spousal Sponsorship didn't require the address but I provided the current corporation address which is my residential address. However, the address of the corporation was different in 2017. Shall I put the current address or the 2017 address when I put that self-employment experience in the citizenship application? Another way which I am thinking is to put the 2017 address and write LOE indicating that the corporation still exists and the current address is my home address but I have a regular T4 job and don't work from a corporation anymore.

Please advise. I am so confused and overthinking lately.

Thanks.

Troy2245

Aug 5, 2017
Hey guys had a question regarding citizenship application.
My passport expires in December 2021 and I will be eligible to apply citizenship by April 2021.

Should I renew my current passport and then apply for citizenship or I can go ahead with my current passport?
If go ahead with my current passport, will IRCC get back at later point to send updated renewed passport or they will be fine with it as long as it is valid when the application package was sent.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram

I have two questions pertaining to citizenship application. I applied for spousal sponsorship last year and now will be applying for citizenship. There is some data that was the same in spousal sponsorship but there were some issues that I think I need to address.

1.I worked for company B which was a subsidiary of company A. My first paycheck and employee card and even company policy/building were of company A(Parent company) however then all pay stubs and T4 have company B's name. I wrote employer as Company B/ Company A in the spousal sponsorship application. Can I write the same employer name as Company B/Company A and give a letter of explanation? Will be an issue. I don't want data to be inconsistent.

Just mention the same details you mentioned in your spousal sponsorship application. I don't think a LOE is needed in this particular case but if you see the need, feel free to attach one.

2. I own a corporation that still exists but I only worked for 1 month in 2017. Spousal Sponsorship didn't require the address but I provided the current corporation address which is my residential address. However, the address of the corporation was different in 2017. Shall I put the current address or the 2017 address when I put that self-employment experience in the citizenship application? Another way which I am thinking is to put the 2017 address and write LOE indicating that the corporation still exists and the current address is my home address but I have a regular T4 job and don't work from a corporation anymore.

IMO, writing the current address would be best approach at this point.

Please advise. I am so confused and overthinking lately.

Thanks.