+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

expressimmigrant

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Thanks for this thorough informative thread!

Does anybody know if it is a problem if the address on the celpip certificate is different than the current address?
I do not think it would matter that much as long as it is the certificate is for the person in the application. As per the guide, you can, even, submit an expired Language Assessment that you used for PR application as part of your citizenship application.

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Hi,

How do I update the address on the application? I am planning to move somewhere else quite, city is too noisy because of so much construction going around. I am in process of filing the application and just wondering, how do I will update my address OR shall I move to new place and then submit the application with new address?

Thanks in advance.

goodboy97

Feb 12, 2017
Montreal, Canada
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
26-05-2017
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
15-08-2017
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Interview........
Not Required
Hello @rajkamalmohanram

Hope you are great. Would you please give me suggestions for the followings on CIT-0002 form:

A) at number 4-c) is that necessary to put the height in cm and inch both?
B) My name was never changed. do I need to put NA on number 5) or I can keep it empty?
C) Number 10) for the addresses do I need to put DD-MM-YYYY format? clicking on the drop-down box is giving me this option but showing me MM-YYYY format.
D) Number 11) I am working full time and going to school part-time. do I need to put my school info there with my full-time employment info?
E) Number 11) for the employment history do I need to put DD-MM-YYYY format? clicking on the drop-down box is giving me this option but showing me MM-YYYY format.
F) Number 11) for the employment history FROM and TO should be the same as what I put at the time of PR Application?
G) Number 11) For a certain time period, I was unemployed. in this case can I put the Name of employer, address of employer vacant?
H) Number 14) Do i need to put my work permit (that I got after graduation) here or my country passport is enough?
I) Number 15) For language proficiency, the IELTS result that took at the PR Application time is fine. Am I correct?

Thanks a lot for your time.

expressimmigrant

Star Member
Jan 25, 2017
Hi,

How do I update the address on the application? I am planning to move somewhere else quite, city is too noisy because of so much construction going around. I am in process of filing the application and just wondering, how do I will update my address OR shall I move to new place and then submit the application with new address?

Thanks in advance.
You can do that through submitting a web form. please check the below link:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=043&top=4

If you submit now, it would be an extra step to change the address. If you submit after you move, then you would not need to go through that step.

(It takes time for the application to receive AOR from the time it is delivered)

Johny Bravo

Mar 29, 2015
Just an info if anyone from Ontario wants to use a health card as a second ID But it’s expiring soon. On the Service Ontario website it says that there is no need to renew card cause you can use even your expired one for health purposes (because of the covid situation) but I called and its still possible to renew if you need an actual valid card for ID purposes, you just need to go to the Service Ontario branch.

Reactions: expressimmigrant

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Just an info if anyone from Ontario wants to use a health card as a second ID But it’s expiring soon. On the Service Ontario website it says that there is no need to renew card cause you can use even your expired one for health purposes (because of the covid situation) but I called and its still possible to renew if you need an actual valid card for ID purposes, you just need to go to the Service Ontario branch.
You can just submit a copy of the passport as a second personal ID document, you don't necessarily need the health card.

And yes, Service Ontario is renewing health cards now; I got mine renewed recently.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello @rajkamalmohanram

Hope you are great. Would you please give me suggestions for the followings on CIT-0002 form:

A) at number 4-c) is that necessary to put the height in cm and inch both?
I entered both. Entering one should be fine.
B) My name was never changed. do I need to put NA on number 5) or I can keep it empty?
I think I discussed this in my detailed guide. Write your first and last name and select 'Name at birth'
C) Number 10) for the addresses do I need to put DD-MM-YYYY format? clicking on the drop-down box is giving me this option but showing me MM-YYYY format.
Use the format you see on the form.
D) Number 11) I am working full time and going to school part-time. do I need to put my school info there with my full-time employment info?
Provide information about both school and work. The dates can overlap - no problem. Just make sure there are no gaps.
E) Number 11) for the employment history do I need to put DD-MM-YYYY format? clicking on the drop-down box is giving me this option but showing me MM-YYYY format.
Use the format you see on the form.
F) Number 11) for the employment history FROM and TO should be the same as what I put at the time of PR Application?
It should be continuous. Do not leave gaps. Enter correct dates that you can actually backup using proof if asked (very rare but could happen).
G) Number 11) For a certain time period, I was unemployed. in this case can I put the Name of employer, address of employer vacant?
Never leave anything empty. Write N/A for employer. For my periods of unemployment, I just provided my home address.
H) Number 14) Do i need to put my work permit (that I got after graduation) here or my country passport is enough?
The question is only about passports. So, passport only.
I) Number 15) For language proficiency, the IELTS result that took at the PR Application time is fine. Am I correct?
Yes

Thanks a lot for your time.

puff123

Apr 11, 2017
hello everyone,

I'm applying for citizenship in a month and my passport expires in Aug 2021. Considering that the process takes more than a year, do I need to renew my passport before I apply for citizenship?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
hello everyone,

I'm applying for citizenship in a month and my passport expires in Aug 2021. Considering that the process takes more than a year, do I need to renew my passport before I apply for citizenship?

I don't think that's necessary. You can submit your application with your current passport and when you do renew your passport, you can always submit that updated information through a CSE (webform).

Alternatively, if you still haven't met the required number of days and are waiting to apply for citizenship, then you might as well renew your passport to avoid hassle in the future.

Reactions: puff123

puff123

Apr 11, 2017
I don't think that's necessary. You can submit your application with your current passport and when you do renew your passport, you can always submit that updated information through a CSE (webform).

Alternatively, if you still haven't met the required number of days and are waiting to apply for citizenship, then you might as well renew your passport to avoid hassle in the future.
Thanks a lot for your response. the problem is that with this COVID situation it will take between 3 to 5 months to renew. I called IRCC today and the agent said I can apply with the current one and can submit the new one later, exactly as you said.

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Hi everyone,
I sent my application with my two children last month, In the minor's application section 4 it is asked:
A) The person applying is the Parent or Guardian - I checked 'Parent'
B) Is the child minor legally adopted ? No - Yes

I left subsection B) unanswered as my child is not adopted and I am a biological parent and thought this subsection is for guardians or for those who have adopted.
On page 3 they ask for all the details of both parents and also whether the minor's parents are biological or adoptive parent, for which I checked 'biological' for both parents and also attached copy of their birth certificates.
Please advise will they return our applications as 'B' was left unanswered ?
If yes, what should I do now ?
Thank you.
No. Few of my friends (at least 3) did exactly like you and they received AOR. Page 3) questions are important, and you answered them. One person in FB group got the application back because she didn't answer the page 3) important questions also. So don't worry, you are good.

Reactions: Ace2000

Ace2000

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
No. Few of my friends (at least 3) did exactly like you and they received AOR. Page 3) questions are important, and you answered them. One person in FB group got the application back because she didn't answer the page 3) important questions also. So don't worry, you are good.
Thank you so much @canvisa13 for the clarification...it is a big relief... I can sleep well now. I was extremely worried as I tried my very best to answer all the questions honestly but this particular question was quite unclear to me. Thanks again and good luck !

canvisa13

Nov 21, 2019
Thank you so much @canvisa13 for the clarification...it is a big relief... I can sleep well now. I was extremely worried as I tried my very best to answer all the questions honestly but this particular question was quite unclear to me. Thanks again and good luck !
If it gives relief to you, just want to share that I did same, and got AOR in Feb. Good luck!

Reactions: Ace2000