+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

supermario

Mar 9, 2018
I see I will put WP from 2015-09 to 2017-06 in the calculator as the question is about your eligibility period anything before 2015-09 is irrelevant.
Also, use your time outside as 2015-09 to 2017-09. In the application form in question 9b answer yes and insert temporary status from 2015-09 to 2017-06 as here too is about eligibility period. You may need to add a letter of explanation and state your actual WP dates and actual date you left Canada and why you did not consider 2014-06 to 2015-08. Other forum members may have better suggestions.

Good luck
Maybe I'll put the actual dates, since the eligible dates and absences cancel each other out for temporary residence.

supermario

Mar 9, 2018
Q14 (b): I hereby give my consent to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) to disclose the details of my history of travel to IRCC in order to assist IRCC in determining my citizenship eligibility. I also hereby authorize IRCC to collect the history of my travel from the CBSA.
  • While you can answer 'No' to this question, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND answering 'Yes' unless you have a very good reason not to.
  • If you answer 'No', you will be asked for additional documentation later in the process which, in my opinion, would be a waste of time.
  • You do not have to contact CBSA for this purpose, it is done for you by IRCC.
Q15 (a): If you are between 18 and 54 years of age, do you have proof of knowledge of English or French?
  • Check 'Yes' or 'No'.
  • 15 (a) also asks“Did you successfully complete the LINC or CUC courses at CLB 4/NCLC 4 or higher from January 1, 2008 to October 31, 2012?"
    • If this applies to you, answer accordingly.
Q15 (b): I am hearing impaired, which prevents me from submitting the proof of language described in 15A with my application.
  • If you answer 'YES' to this, you must submit proof.
Q15 (c): I have a disorder, disability or condition that is cognitive, psychiatric or psychological in nature which prevents me from submitting proof of language with my application.
  • If you answer 'YES' to this, you must submit proof.
For Q14 (table B) and Q16 (subsection 9b), would it be ok to leave the boxes just blank, rather than writing n/a in them?

For tax years, the formatting is messed up so there are 3 lines of headers repeated. Would that be a problem?

Lastly, I already paid the fees now, but I'll submit the application in a few weeks. Would that be a problem?

hotshot45890

Star Member
Jun 29, 2020
@rajkamalmohanram hope things are going well. Wanted to check how you are responding to Q 17-C Quebec permanent list of electors.

Reading the question it seems only to be filled when living in Quebec. Although I don't live in Quebec am inclined to answer it Yes/No rather than leaving it blank. Wanted to see how you are approaching this question (assuming you are not in Quebec!).

Thank you!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram hope things are going well. Wanted to check how you are responding to Q 17-C Quebec permanent list of electors.

Reading the question it seems only to be filled when living in Quebec. Although I don't live in Quebec am inclined to answer it Yes/No rather than leaving it blank. Wanted to see how you are approaching this question (assuming you are not in Quebec!).

Thank you!
Never leave anything blank.

I answered No to this question as I do not live / do not plan to live in Quebec.

Reactions: hotshot45890

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
For Q14 (table B) and Q16 (subsection 9b), would it be ok to leave the boxes just blank, rather than writing n/a in them?

I have written N/A in both those fields

For tax years, the formatting is messed up so there are 3 lines of headers repeated. Would that be a problem?

One header is added (repeated) every time you save the file. I completed my file, checked and re-checked the information. I then transferred all that information to a new application form and printed it before saving. That is the only way to get around the extra headers.

I expect IRCC to know about this problem and it should probably be okay but I just avoided it by copying the information to a new application form.

Lastly, I already paid the fees now, but I'll submit the application in a few weeks. Would that be a problem?

Not a problem.

hotshot45890

Star Member
Jun 29, 2020
@rajkamalmohanram another quick question please.

How have you dealt with the Q15 under LINC/CLIC "If yes and you do not have a copy of your certificate, please check the following box and your participation will be verified in our system" checkbox? Did you leave it blank?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
@rajkamalmohanram another quick question please.

How have you dealt with the Q15 under LINC/CLIC "If yes and you do not have a copy of your certificate, please check the following box and your participation will be verified in our system" checkbox? Did you leave it blank?
Yup. This one needs to be left blank because it is a checkbox and there is only one option for it. If this doesn't apply to you, then leave it blank.

destination canada

Jun 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2010
Doc's Request.
October 2010
AOR Received.
Nova-Scotia, October 2010
File Transfer...
Full Docs to LVO - January 2011, Second AOR May-2011
Med's Request
Feb.2014
Med's Done....
Feb.2014
Passport Req..
PPR-1 & PPR-2 on June 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 2014
LANDED..........
Dec 2014
Hello,
Can I apply for citizenship with an expired health card ?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,
Can I apply for citizenship with an expired health card ?
You don't necessarily need a health card for your citizenship application. My health card has expired as well and I am submitting my Driver's License and the bio pages of my passport as proof of identity.

What you can provide is clearly mentioned in my post :

5. Photocopy of personal identification document
  • You MUST submit TWO PIECES OF PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION.
  • You can use any of the following documents as personal identification.
    • a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document
    • health insurance card
    • driver’s licence
    • senior citizen identification card
    • age of majority card
    • foreign identity documents, such as a passport or government issued identification documents
  • From what I understand, the most common pieces of identification would be your driver's license and health card.
  • NOTE 1: You CANNOT SUBMIT PR CARD AS AN IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENT.
  • NOTE 2: If there is information on both sides of your ID, PRINT BOTH SIDES OF THE ID.
This is also clear from the instruction guide :

photocopies of two (2) pieces of personal identification.

Examples of identification you can use include:

• a copy of the biographical page of your passport/travel document (as requested above and also can be one (1) of your pieces of personal identification)
  • driver’s licence
  • health insurance card
  • senior citizen identification card
  • age of majority card
  • foreign identity documents, such as a passport or government issued identification documents

Luciano01

Dec 17, 2014
PART - 1

WARNING: LONG POST

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing good and staying safe in these uncertain times.

Its about time – A few people have been requesting me for a detailed post for citizenship (like my post on Express Entry / OINP HCPS). Also, it is almost my time to apply for citizenship (I’ll be applying later this year). Like always, I will do my best to be as correct and accurate as possible, if you find something to be incorrect, PLEASE let me know.

Since (unfortunately) I can't make this as a single post, I'll split it into 6 parts.

IMPORTANT:

This post covers the information required for adults to apply for regular citizenship. There are other processes like fast-track process for Armed Forces personnel and the like but they are out of the scope of this post.

If you are applying as a family and have a minor child, please follow the procedure to apply for citizenship for minor children IN ADDITION to the steps in this post.

Use this guide as a reference - I will provide links where necessary - It is important to actually open and read the links on the IRCC website. I cannot stress this enough.

Use this guide as a supplement to the IRCC's Instruction Guide . Like I did for my Express Entry post, I will split my post into phases.
  • Pre-Application Phase -> Getting ready to apply / Pre-requisites for submitting a citizenship application
  • Application Phase -> Filling out your application / Gathering Documents / Submitting your application package / Tips
  • Post-Application Phase -> AOR / Additional Document Requests / Test / Oath and next steps
Pre-Application Phase

Irrespective of how we first moved to Canada (student / work / PR / refugee) most of us who moved here have had a goal – applying for Canadian Citizenship. The time is nearing and it is important to understand the process in detail and try not to make any mistakes. The process is a little time consuming – do it once and do it right.

Let’s get to the basics.

Minimum requirements to be able to apply for citizenship:

1. Be a Permanent Resident of Canada

• Your PR status must be in good standing (You should not have a fraud investigation / removal order or the like against you). In other words, your PR status should not be in question.
    • Note: If your PR card has expired, you can still apply. Your PR status is NOT affected if your PR card expires.
  • Naturally, you should have maintained your PR status by being physically present in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period.
2. Time spent in Canada
  • Most people should have spent at least 3 years (1095 days) in a 5-year period (physically present in Canada) immediately preceding the date you are signing the citizenship application.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Permanent Resident counts as one day towards physical presence.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Temporary Resident (Student / Work Visa, for instance) can be calculated as half a day towards physical presence up to a maximum of 365 days only.
  • For instance:
    • Arthur came in on a work visa on Jan 02 2014.
    • He got his PR on Jan 03 2016. He never left the country.
    • The number of days as a temporary resident is 730 days.
    • He spends 2 years (730 days) in Canada as a permanent resident.
    • Arthur can sign and submit his citizenship application on Jan 04 2018.
    • He counts each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident as half a day (which amounts to 365 days) and he counts each day spent as a permanent resident as one day (which amounts to 730 days).
  • The physical presence calculator is a very handy tool to keep track of your travels and calculate physical presence. It is also mandatory that you keep a track of your travels here so that when it is your time to apply, you can print it and submit it with your application.
  • Note 1: If you crossed an international border and returned to Canada the same day, it counts as being physically present in Canada.
    • For instance, traveling to US in the morning for shopping and returning to Canada the same evening – this day does count towards physical presence.
    • It is important to note that you MUST STILL DISCLOSE these trips in your physical presence calculator.
  • Note 2: Similarly, while traveling internationally, the day you leave Canada and the day you return to Canada also counts towards your physical presence.
    • For instance, if you left Canada on September 14th and returned on October 5th, September 14th and October 5th will count towards your physical presence.
  • Stating the obvious but any day spent outside Canada does NOT count towards physical presence. However, as usual, there are some exceptions (doesn’t apply to the majority of us though).
  • Generally, time spent serving a sentence or probation DOES NOT count towards physical presence with some exceptions.
  • Do NOT apply with exactly 1095 days. That is the minimum requirement but it is recommended to apply with more days. I’ll explain why later in the post.
3. Filing income taxes in Canada

Here it comes – something that no one escapes!
  • You must have filed at least 3 tax returns in the last 5 years from the date you sign your citizenship application. Exceptions apply for very few people.
  • The large majority of us WILL NOT be exempt from this.
4. Language Skills
  • Applicants who are of ages 18 – 54 MUST submit proof to substantiate that they can listen and speak at least one of Canada’s 2 official languages English or French.
  • More about this later in the post.
Thank you so much for the comprehensive information. I’m planning to apply for my citizenship next month but finding it difficult to calculate my physical presence. I came Canada on the:
2011-09-23. As a student.
Lost my status in June 2014- Dec.2015
Submitted Spousal application Dec.2016.
Received Quebec certificate of selection 2016-04-28. Got my PR in 2017-06-28. And I’ve been in Canada without travelling...Please I need your help in calculating my eligibility. Thanks

Ladymarie

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Thank you so much for the comprehensive information. I’m planning to apply for my citizenship next month but finding it difficult to calculate my physical presence. I came Canada on the:
Received Quebec certificate of selection 2016-04-28. Got my PR in 2017-06-28. And I’ve been in Canada without travelling...Please I need your help in calculating my eligibility. Thanks
I see that you already have more than 1095 days from your Pr date of 2017-06-28. If I were in your position, I would choose not to claim the days from previous stays/statuses for easier processing. Just my 2 cents though ...others will chime in.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
I'm not quite sure why it would be hard to calculate your physical presence.

Just feed in all the information to the physical presence calculator and that would tell you how many days of physical presence you have.

For the purpose of physical presence calculation, only temporary residence in Canada in the past 5 years count. Since you lost the status in June 2014, the time you spent as a student is out of the picture here.

Since there are clearly well over 1095 days between June 28, 2017 (when you became a PR) and now and the fact that you haven't traveled out of Canada since you became a PR, you should be good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luciano01

dolphus1988

Aug 14, 2020
Hello,

Can someone tells me the difference between cit0002 06 2019 vs cit0002 12 2019?

Are both documents the same?

Thanks

blackpool_98

Jan 22, 2010
Do we need to fill and save application in the IRCC system before printing?
Such as we do it for the Physical Presence Calculator