+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I saw some people ask this question in other threads so I thought its best to include it here as well.

Regarding previous expired passports;
To simply answer, If the expiry date of the old passport falls within your 5 year eligibility period or if the dates between your old and new passport overlap, you should include the old passport details on the form.

If the old passport expired before your 5 year eligibility period, you need not mention the same on the form. It is entirely up to the individual if they want to provide this additional info.

I know people who did provide previous passport details outside of 5 yr period and those who didn't provide it as well, both got their application processed normally. It is your decision at the end of the day.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Luciano01

Dec 17, 2014
I see that you already have more than 1095 days from your Pr date of 2017-06-28. If I were in your position, I would choose not to claim the days from previous stays/statuses for easier processing. Just my 2 cents though ...others will chime in.
Thank you so much for your feedback.

Luciano01

Dec 17, 2014
I'm not quite sure why it would be hard to calculate your physical presence.

Just feed in all the information to the physical presence calculator and that would tell you how many days of physical presence you have.

For the purpose of physical presence calculation, only temporary residence in Canada in the past 5 years count. Since you lost the status in June 2014, the time you spent as a student is out of the picture here.

Since there are clearly well over 1095 days between June 28, 2017 (when you became a PR) and now and the fact that you haven't traveled out of Canada since you became a PR, you should be good.
I saw some people ask this question in other threads so I thought its best to include it here as well.

Regarding previous expired passports;
To simply answer, If the expiry date of the old passport falls within your 5 year eligibility period or if the dates between your old and new passport overlap, you should include the old passport details on the form.

If the old passport expired before your 5 year eligibility period, you need not mention the same on the form. It is entirely up to the individual if they want to provide this additional info.

I know people who did provide previous passport details outside of 5 yr period and those who didn't provide it as well, both got their application processed normally. It is your decision at the end of the day.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will follow you instruction
I'm not quite sure why it would be hard to calculate your physical presence.

Just feed in all the information to the physical presence calculator and that would tell you how many days of physical presence you have.

For the purpose of physical presence calculation, only temporary residence in Canada in the past 5 years count. Since you lost the status in June 2014, the time you spent as a student is out of the picture here.

Since there are clearly well over 1095 days between June 28, 2017 (when you became a PR) and now and the fact that you haven't traveled out of Canada since you became a PR, you should be good.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I will do as you suggested.

cat_woman

Star Member
Nov 1, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
15-06-2016
AOR Received.
09-12-2016
Med's Request
19-12-2016
Med's Done....
21-12-2016
Interview........
Not Needed
Passport Req..
08-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-06-2017
LANDED..........
08-07-2017
Thanks a lot for the update. Much appreciated!

Looks like IRCC personnel aren't sure about the rules of their own program. To my knowledge, I am 99.99% sure that only IELTS General is accepted and also, this information is specifically mentioned in the instruction guide.

General Information :

Your application is not in the system because the application is uploaded to the GCMS system at the time of AOR (usually). AFAIK, if they "return your application as incomplete" they will NOT upload it to GCMS AFAIK.

Wish you all the very best with your application. Hopefully, it'll go through smoothly.

PS : In case you get any further updates, please keep me posted. Good luck!
Haha I know I was very surprised they did not know it either but I do appreciate your help with everything.

Ah okay that is additional information I did not know. So now I won't wait for AOR or for them to send back my file. I will resend documents in a few weeks. Hopefully everything works out. I will absolutely keep you posted. Thanks again!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Haha I know I was very surprised they did not know it either but I do appreciate your help with everything.

Ah okay that is additional information I did not know. So now I won't wait for AOR or for them to send back my file. I will resend documents in a few weeks. Hopefully everything works out. I will absolutely keep you posted. Thanks again!
Good luck and all the very best!

pikpicole

Sep 1, 2020
HI, i have a problem with Q 11.
Since I obtained my work permit, I have declared my taxes as self employed, I worked with a person who sometimes paid me with a company that deducted my taxes and at the end of the year he gave me my T4 and other times he paid me with another company where he did not deduct anything but at the end of the year we both declared the money received / paid and gave me a T5018. I can't know exactly how many weeks I worked with the T4 company. How do I put those dates? And what happens if I put everything as self employed and the agent when checking my tax see that I have T4 statements
I don't know if I explain myself very well.

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hmmm, looks like this is required only if one of the parents is a Canadian citizen. So yeah, for the child's application, looks like passport of 'mother' is not required.
I went back to the minor application guide, there is a specific case where if parents have their child's name on their passports ( apparently some countries passport put kids names on parent's passports) in this case parents need to add a copy of their passport with the application. This is not in the checklist but just in the guide. I wanted to share this information in case any parent is applying and has his child's name on his passport.

Submit the following documents with your application:

• Photocopies of the minor’s biographical page of all valid and expired Passport(s)/Travel documents for the five (5) years immediately before the date of application, or since the minor became a permanent resident if that date is more recent than five (5) years.
    The biographical page means the page where it has the minor’s name, photo, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.
    If the minor was included in the passport(s) of one of the parents, provide copies of that (these) passport(s).
    Provide photocopies of any renewal pages of the passport(s)/travel document(s).

hawat

Aug 28, 2020
Hi friends
I’m preparing document for citizenship application. In the main form I need to enter expiration dates of all passport duding past 5 years. My new passport has been issued before the expiration day of my old passport. Is the expiration date if old passport same as the day new passport issued? Or I should enter the expiry date mentioned in the bio page of old passport ?

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends
I’m preparing document for citizenship application. In the main form I need to enter expiration dates of all passport duding past 5 years. My new passport has been issued before the expiration day of my old passport. Is the expiration date if old passport same as the day new passport issued? Or I should enter the expiry date mentioned in the bio page of old passport ?
This should help answer to some extent, was posted above btw

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/application-for-canadian-citizenship-a-comprehensive-guide.687393/post-8813925

royce110

Nov 25, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi friends
If you read it carefully it might have.

Expiration date of your old passport is not the same as the issue date if your new passport. These are two separate documents. If there are are days in between Expiry of one and the issue of the other, its what is referred to as a gap, which would need to be explained. If your old passport expiry falls within the 5 year period you will mention the issue and expiry date of that, and also the issue and expiry date of your current passport.

hawat

Aug 28, 2020
If you read it carefully it might have.

Expiration date of your old passport is not the same as the issue date if your new passport. These are two separate documents. If there are are days in between Expiry of one and the issue of the other, its what is referred to as a gap, which would need to be explained. If your old passport expiry falls within the 5 year period you will mention the issue and expiry date of that, and also the issue and expiry date of your current passport.
Unfortunately I need to say please read my question carefully ... your explanation is not really related ... there is not gap in my passports, there is overlap

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Unfortunately I need to say please read my question carefully ... your explanation is not really related ... there is not gap in my passports, there is overlap
What he/she is trying to say is :
For each passport write the issue and expiration date as it shows on your passport. Dot not worry if dates overlap. For example
Passport A : issue date 22/09/2011
Expiration date. 21/09/2016
Passport B: issue date 20/ 07/2016
Expiration date 19/07/2021
Most people renew their passport 6 months before expiration date, especially if you are applying for a visa.

hawat

Aug 28, 2020
What he/she is trying to say is :
For each passport write the issue and expiration date as it shows on your passport. Dot not worry if dates overlap. For example
Passport A : issue date 22/09/2011
Expiration date. 21/09/2016
Passport B: issue date 20/ 07/2016
Expiration date 19/07/2021
Most people renew their passport 6 months before expiration date, especially if you are applying for a visa.
Thank you.

Ladymarie

Star Member
Jul 1, 2020
Hi friends
I had an overlap too. I ticked no to the question, filled both passport details in the table and added an explanation in the box that I renewed before expiry date.