+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

amjad3126

Star Member
May 20, 2014
Need your guidance to answer this question.
Q3 (c): What date did you become a permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant)? Copy the date that you became a permanent resident as it appears on your most recent immigration document: Permanent Resident Card (PR Card), or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Record of Landing

I become the PR in Jan 2016 after my study visa while I was inside the CANADA.

Later on I travel back to UAE and stay there for 2.5 years and return back to Canada to get the Renewal of PR card in May 2021.

So in the question, they mentioned most recent immigration document, So my Question is Do I have to use the date of my first PR card (Jan 2016) or the date of renewed (PR card) ie: May 2021.

Thanks

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Need your guidance to answer this question.
Q3 (c): What date did you become a permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant)? Copy the date that you became a permanent resident as it appears on your most recent immigration document: Permanent Resident Card (PR Card), or Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Record of Landing

I become the PR in Jan 2016 after my study visa while I was inside the CANADA.

Later on I travel back to UAE and stay there for 2.5 years and return back to Canada to get the Renewal of PR card in May 2021.

So in the question, they mentioned most recent immigration document, So my Question is Do I have to use the date of my first PR card (Jan 2016) or the date of renewed (PR card) ie: May 2021.

Thanks
Date you became PR.. i.e Jan 2016
PR card renewal date is not required

Don't complicate

Last edited:

Alexander77

May 23, 2023
Hi Guys.
Can I apply online with a minor or should I do it paper based? I just created a profile along with my son and when I sent the invitation to my wife, who already had the account, it says that "something went wrong" despite going over the password and all the stuff. What do you think would be the reason for that issue?
Thanks in advance

prashant1414

May 24, 2023
Hello,

Does anyone know what option to select to register the postgraduate work permit (PGWP) time duration for physical presence calculations? Visitor, Temporary foreign worker, International Student, and Temporary resident permit holder are the four options available.

I have already logged my study permit time under the International Student category.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello,

Does anyone know what option to select to register the postgraduate work permit (PGWP) time duration for physical presence calculations? Visitor, Temporary foreign worker, International Student, and Temporary resident permit holder are the four options available.

I have already logged my study permit time under the International Student category.
As a PGWP you should select Temporary Worker.
Temporary Resident Permit holder is different category

Reactions: prashant1414

Zainab umer

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
I was applying for online citizenship adult plus minor. After filling the adult portion and paying the fee i submitted without adding the minors. Now online application does doesnt let me include the kids. What should i do

Jestril

Jan 21, 2019
Thanks a lot for taking the time to make this post.
I have a question regarding time which should be count. As part of my program, I went for a 10 months internship abroad and would like to know if this time could be counted since it was school related ?
I went through the government's website to see if I could find an information about it but did not find any.
Thanks a lot.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks a lot for taking the time to make this post.
I have a question regarding time which should be count. As part of my program, I went for a 10 months internship abroad and would like to know if this time could be counted since it was school related ?
I went through the government's website to see if I could find an information about it but did not find any.
Thanks a lot.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=370&top=5

You can count time spent outside Canada toward the physical presence requirement for citizenship if you

• were a permanent resident employed in or with the
    • Canadian Armed Forces
    • federal public administration
    • public service of a province or territory
  • lived outside Canada with your Canadian spouse or common-law partner or permanent resident spouse, common-law partner, or parent who was employed in or with the
    • Canadian Armed Forces
    • federal public administration
    • public service of a province or territory
This doesn’t include employment as a locally engaged person.

The physical presence requirement only uses time after

• becoming a permanent resident
  • your common-law relationship began (for calculating residence with a common-law partner)

CABA

Jan 14, 2016
What is the chronology for an Indian passport holder after getting Canadian citizenship

1. Get citizenship certificate
2. Apply for Canadian Passport
3. Surrender Indian Passport
4. Apply for OCI

is that correct, does it have to be in exact same sequence, can any two processes be in parallel or simultaneous e.g. surrender of indian passport and applying for OCI?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
What is the chronology for an Indian passport holder after getting Canadian citizenship

1. Get citizenship certificate
2. Apply for Canadian Passport
3. Surrender Indian Passport
4. Apply for OCI

is that correct, does it have to be in exact same sequence, can any two processes be in parallel or simultaneous e.g. surrender of indian passport and applying for OCI?
Yes you have summarized it well
Keep in mind Surrender and OCI cannot be done at the same time.
Sure der requires Canadian passport in hand
Once you get surrender certificate in hand (process is between 3-4 weeks), you can apply for OCI (process is between 6-8 week)
I would suggest you to book the appointments well in advance
And above all a lot of patience dealing BLS

Reactions: CABA

rohitpahwa

Star Member
Jan 3, 2018
Have you ever held travel documents or passports during your 5-year eligibility period?

For this question , do we have to attach our Stamped Visa for US , Canadian Stamped visa for Work permit , Stamped PRTD etc? I have all 3 in my passport

I am not sure if stamped Visas are considered travel document