+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

The Kurd

Apr 5, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm about to apply for citizenship but I don't have my seized home passport back still. My RTD only covers the last 2 years. If I cannot provide my homeland passport will it be a problem? I saw there is a declaration form about that but I'm worried if it makes my process slower. TIA
Hi Jane,
Did you happen to find an answer to your question?

I appreciate it if the other forum members could answer this question!

rocky_143_20

Sep 11, 2022
Hi All,

I'm about to submit the paper application for me and my family and have one doubt about the color photocopies of passport pages. Do we need to send them all pages of passport in color or only Bio and Travel stamp pages? Each one of us have two passports during the last 5 years and if all needs to send then it will be too much pages.

Colour photocopy of all pages in your passport(s) or travel document(s) during your five (5) year eligibility period, including the biographical page which includes: name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.
• If your passport validity was extended, include a photocopy of the page(s) containing the extension stamp(s)
• If you do not have a travel document or passport, provide an explanation in question 14 of the application form

anyone can suggest?

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Hi All,

I'm about to submit the paper application for me and my family and have one doubt about the color photocopies of passport pages. Do we need to send them all pages of passport in color or only Bio and Travel stamp pages? Each one of us have two passports during the last 5 years and if all needs to send then it will be too much pages.

Colour photocopy of all pages in your passport(s) or travel document(s) during your five (5) year eligibility period, including the biographical page which includes: name, photo, date and place of birth, passport/travel document number, issue date and expiration date.
• If your passport validity was extended, include a photocopy of the page(s) containing the extension stamp(s)
• If you do not have a travel document or passport, provide an explanation in question 14 of the application form

anyone can suggest?
Your answer is in bold. Everyone (including me) would have done the same. Are you expecting one of us to say "its okay, send them black and white instead, and send only your most recent passport pages"?

Last edited:

New Citizen

Sep 12, 2022
Hello there,
I’m applying for citizenship for my family. Please can you advice how to complete the 3 years tax return formality for my daughter who just turned 18 in June 2022.
Appreciate your help!

tintin2018

Star Member
Oct 6, 2018
Hello Folks!

I'm about to submit online application for myself & my spouse as a group application. I had 3 clarifications - Would appreciate if anyone could share inputs

1. We did soft landing in 2019, stayed in Canada for 3 weeks (in Airbnb stay) before flying back home for ~1 month and then coming back to Canada for good. For this question: "Please list all addresses inside and outside of Canada during your entire five (5) year eligibility period. Start with the most recent. If there are any missing days or periods of time, your application will be returned to you", Do we need to state the Airbnb stay address and temporary accommodations we stayed in before we found a rental in Canada?
IRCC guide says "You do NOT have to include the addresses of friends, family or hotels where you stayed if you went to a country on vacation" but ours wasn't vacation yet they were temporary stays. Any suggestions?

2. Can we use British Columbia Service Card as one of the Identity proof by selecting "Health Insurance card" as the online checkbox option? The address on that card is an old rental place address - Would that be an issue?

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Hello Folks!

I'm about to submit online application for myself & my spouse as a group application. I had 3 clarifications - Would appreciate if anyone could share inputs

1. We did soft landing in 2019, stayed in Canada for 3 weeks (in Airbnb stay) before flying back home for ~1 month and then coming back to Canada for good. For this question: "Please list all addresses inside and outside of Canada during your entire five (5) year eligibility period. Start with the most recent. If there are any missing days or periods of time, your application will be returned to you", Do we need to state the Airbnb stay address and temporary accommodations we stayed in before we found a rental in Canada?
IRCC guide says "You do NOT have to include the addresses of friends, family or hotels where you stayed if you went to a country on vacation" but ours wasn't vacation yet they were temporary stays. Any suggestions?

2. Can we use British Columbia Service Card as one of the Identity proof by selecting "Health Insurance card" as the online checkbox option? The address on that card is an old rental place address - Would that be an issue?
When in doubt, provide more information.

1. I would list all addresses to the best of my knowledge without a day's gap.
2. You can do that, no issue.

Reactions: tintin2018

ms-nobody

Mar 14, 2019
Hello there,
I’m applying for citizenship for my family. Please can you advice how to complete the 3 years tax return formality for my daughter who just turned 18 in June 2022.
Appreciate your help!
Hello there,
Appreciate your help!
it depends if your daughter had income or not and that passed the threshold to file a tax as minor, if she needed to file tax you should have done it already for her or she did it herself, you most probably should check not required and not done in your applications for her, however talk to an accountant and check these links:
https://filingtaxes.ca/minimum-age-to-file-tax-return-in-canada/
https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/summer-jobs-and-taxes-part-1-school-aged-children-under-18-4135,

New Citizen

Sep 12, 2022
it depends if your daughter had income or not and that passed the threshold to file a tax as minor, if she needed to file tax you should have done it already for her or she did it herself, you most probably should check not required and not done in your applications for her, however talk to an accountant and check these links:
https://filingtaxes.ca/minimum-age-to-file-tax-return-in-canada/
https://turbotax.intuit.ca/tips/summer-jobs-and-taxes-part-1-school-aged-children-under-18-4135,
Thank you for your help.
She is still studying and has not worked or earned any income in Canada or worldwide. The reason we did not file any tax returns for her.

Reactions: ms-nobody

Tahar19

Aug 28, 2018
Hello
I caught a misdemeanor charge while driving in the USA with aggravated unlicensed operator 3rd degree which occurs when an individual operates a motor vehicle on public roads while knowing or having reason to know that his/her license or privilege to operate a motor vehicle is suspended or revoked. The sentence is a fine or a term of imprisonment of not more than thirty days

1 .My question is can I still apply for citizenship in Canada?
2. If yes. Should

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Can anyone re-confirm the documents required in support of citizenship application please? Are these the only requirements?
- Photo
- Copy of all passport pages
- Copy of online physical presence calculator
- Police clearance certificate

Is that all? Do you need to provide copy of lease/mortgage bills, driver's license, healthcare card, bank account statements etc. to prove physical presence or for any other reason?

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
Can anyone re-confirm the documents required in support of citizenship application please? Are these the only requirements?
- Photo
- Copy of all passport pages
- Copy of online physical presence calculator
- Police clearance certificate

Is that all? Do you need to provide copy of lease/mortgage bills, driver's license, healthcare card, bank account statements etc. to prove physical presence or for any other reason?
There is a checklist online and it is pretty detailed. Please go through that.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
There is a checklist online and it is pretty detailed. Please go through that.
I've looked through the checklist already. That is the reason why I'm hoping to reconfirm because the checklist will provide you with the minimum requirements. I'm trying to understand whether any of these other documents such as copy of leases, bills, driver's license etc. is required or not. How does CIC determine eligibility (which is reliant on physical presence for starters) if they are not seeking these other items.

Varunaimar

Jan 25, 2018
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
18-03-2018
AOR Received.
20-05-2018
IELTS Request
29-12-2017
Med's Done....
08-05-2018
Passport Req..
20-09-2018
VISA ISSUED...
04-10-2018
LANDED..........
26-04-2019
I've looked through the checklist already. That is the reason why I'm hoping to reconfirm because the checklist will provide you with the minimum requirements. I'm trying to understand whether any of these other documents such as copy of leases, bills, driver's license etc. is required or not. How does CIC determine eligibility (which is reliant on physical presence for starters) if they are not seeking these other items.
Again, you're underestimating the intelligence of the IRCC officials.

If you provide exactly the information they need, they will process your application smoothly. If you provide more information than requested, the officer will take longer to review your file.

Hope that answers your question.

Reactions: skrba