+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi

I'm filling the citizenship application online. It is asking for "Language Proof", CLB with atleast 4 score. Can I submit the CLB Test result for the test I gave in year 2019? is it acceptable or Do i have to give it again.

Thanks
Yes you can use the language test results even if it expired
I used the IELTS results that I did in 2016 for my citizenship application in 2021.

Reactions: sk540

dariakay22

Mar 12, 2023
Hi Raj, I have a question. My wife hold visitor status from 2015-10-15 to 2017-09-25 and then, based on this visitor status, she applied for open work permit that was from 2016-04-28 to 2017-09-25.

Finally, we got a PR in 2017-09-24.

In this case, since we got the Open work permit on 2016-04-28, can we mention below info in section 9-B in the application. can you pls clarify this.

Date your status obtained Date your status expired
Temporary worker 2016-04-28 2017-09-24
Visitor 2015-10-15 2016-04-27
Hello, I have a question!

Did you count physical presence of 365 days max. before obtaining PR for visitor status and open work permit? Or you only can calculate 1095 after obtaining PR (in the scenario for visitor status and open work permit)?
I have also visitor status and work permit before obtaining PR, but I’m not 100% sure if I can use this presence before PR status.

Will appreciate a lot your help, thank you!

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello, I have a question!

Did you count physical presence of 365 days max. before obtaining PR for visitor status and open work permit? Or you only can calculate 1095 after obtaining PR (in the scenario for visitor status and open work permit)?
I have also visitor status and work permit before obtaining PR, but I’m not 100% sure if I can use this presence before PR status.

Will appreciate a lot your help, thank you!
  1. Enter the date you will sign the application
  2. Enter the date you became a permanent resident of Canada
  3. Did you have Canadian temporary resident status (i.e. as a visitor, international student, temporary worker, temporary resident permit holder), and/or were a protected person) between xxxx-xx-xx (system generated) and xxxx-xx-xx(system generated)
  4. Please only list the periods of time you had authorized temporary resident or protected person status in Canada and the type of status you had between (date you will sign the application) and (date you became PR)

Mar 13, 2023
PART - 1

WARNING: LONG POST

Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing good and staying safe in these uncertain times.

Its about time – A few people have been requesting me for a detailed post for citizenship (like my post on Express Entry / OINP HCPS). Also, it is almost my time to apply for citizenship (I’ll be applying later this year). Like always, I will do my best to be as correct and accurate as possible, if you find something to be incorrect, PLEASE let me know.

Since (unfortunately) I can't make this as a single post, I'll split it into 6 parts.

IMPORTANT:

This post covers the information required for adults to apply for regular citizenship. There are other processes like fast-track process for Armed Forces personnel and the like but they are out of the scope of this post.

If you are applying as a family and have a minor child, please follow the procedure to apply for citizenship for minor children IN ADDITION to the steps in this post.

Use this guide as a reference - I will provide links where necessary - It is important to actually open and read the links on the IRCC website. I cannot stress this enough.

Use this guide as a supplement to the IRCC's Instruction Guide . Like I did for my Express Entry post, I will split my post into phases.
  • Pre-Application Phase -> Getting ready to apply / Pre-requisites for submitting a citizenship application
  • Application Phase -> Filling out your application / Gathering Documents / Submitting your application package / Tips
  • Post-Application Phase -> AOR / Additional Document Requests / Test / Oath and next steps
Pre-Application Phase

Irrespective of how we first moved to Canada (student / work / PR / refugee) most of us who moved here have had a goal – applying for Canadian Citizenship. The time is nearing and it is important to understand the process in detail and try not to make any mistakes. The process is a little time consuming – do it once and do it right.

Let’s get to the basics.

Minimum requirements to be able to apply for citizenship:

1. Be a Permanent Resident of Canada

• Your PR status must be in good standing (You should not have a fraud investigation / removal order or the like against you). In other words, your PR status should not be in question.
    • Note: If your PR card has expired, you can still apply. Your PR status is NOT affected if your PR card expires.
  • Naturally, you should have maintained your PR status by being physically present in Canada for at least 2 years in a 5-year period.
2. Time spent in Canada
  • Most people should have spent at least 3 years (1095 days) in a 5-year period (physically present in Canada) immediately preceding the date you are signing the citizenship application.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Permanent Resident counts as one day towards physical presence.
  • Every day spent inside Canada in the last 5 years (physically present in Canada) as a Temporary Resident (Student / Work Visa, for instance) can be calculated as half a day towards physical presence up to a maximum of 365 days only.
  • For instance:
    • Arthur came in on a work visa on Jan 02 2014.
    • He got his PR on Jan 03 2016. He never left the country.
    • The number of days as a temporary resident is 730 days.
    • He spends 2 years (730 days) in Canada as a permanent resident.
    • Arthur can sign and submit his citizenship application on Jan 04 2018.
    • He counts each day spent in Canada as a temporary resident as half a day (which amounts to 365 days) and he counts each day spent as a permanent resident as one day (which amounts to 730 days).
  • The physical presence calculator is a very handy tool to keep track of your travels and calculate physical presence. It is also mandatory that you keep a track of your travels here so that when it is your time to apply, you can print it and submit it with your application.
  • Note 1: If you crossed an international border and returned to Canada the same day, it counts as being physically present in Canada.
    • For instance, traveling to US in the morning for shopping and returning to Canada the same evening – this day does count towards physical presence.
    • It is important to note that you MUST STILL DISCLOSE these trips in your physical presence calculator.
  • Note 2: Similarly, while traveling internationally, the day you leave Canada and the day you return to Canada also counts towards your physical presence.
    • For instance, if you left Canada on September 14th and returned on October 5th, September 14th and October 5th will count towards your physical presence.
  • Stating the obvious but any day spent outside Canada does NOT count towards physical presence. However, as usual, there are some exceptions (doesn’t apply to the majority of us though).
  • Generally, time spent serving a sentence or probation DOES NOT count towards physical presence with some exceptions.
  • Do NOT apply with exactly 1095 days. That is the minimum requirement but it is recommended to apply with more days. I’ll explain why later in the post.
3. Filing income taxes in Canada

Here it comes – something that no one escapes!
  • You must have filed at least 3 tax returns in the last 5 years from the date you sign your citizenship application. Exceptions apply for very few people.
  • The large majority of us WILL NOT be exempt from this.
4. Language Skills
  • Applicants who are of ages 18 – 54 MUST submit proof to substantiate that they can listen and speak at least one of Canada’s 2 official languages English or French.
  • More about this later in the post.
For a family member (dependent) who is MINOR (less than 18 years), is PAPER based application MUST?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
For a family member (dependent) who is MINOR (less than 18 years), is PAPER based application MUST?
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/minors.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply.html#online
If you’re applying as a family or a group
Who can apply online as a group
Adults (18 or older)
can now apply online together as a family or a group.

If you want to apply with a minor (under 18), you can only apply on paper for now.

Starting a group application
  1. Make sure you are eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.(opens in a new tab)
  2. Check if you can apply online.(opens in a new tab)
    • If you can apply online, you’ll be able to create an account.
  3. After you sign in to your account, you can invite other adults to join your application.
  4. The person you invite can choose to accept or decline your invitation.

Reactions: wink

kittu89!

Mar 16, 2023
Hello Everyone,

I am writing to request for help with the following question

In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

1. I moved to Canada in March 2018. It's been 4 years. And i did not live outside of Canada for more than 183 in the last 4 years. (just 40 days)

The question is a bit confusing as it says since the age of 18 - in this case, should I answer to this question be NO or YES? Can you all please advise.

IF yes, do I need to provide my country of origin PCC which in this case is India.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am writing to request for help with the following question

In the past 4 years, were you in a country or territory other than Canada for 183 days or more in a row (since the age of 18)?

1. I moved to Canada in March 2018. It's been 4 years. And i did not live outside of Canada for more than 183 in the last 4 years. (just 40 days)

The question is a bit confusing as it says since the age of 18 - in this case, should I answer to this question be NO or YES? Can you all please advise.

IF yes, do I need to provide my country of origin PCC which in this case is India.
Select No

iyerkartik

Star Member
Jul 15, 2018
Hello everyone!

I have recently submitted an online application for Canadian citizenship. I have submitted all the documents as per the checklist and I have also received an AOR and recently a citizenship test request. However, I am wondering about one thing that is bothering me.

The photo that I have submitted through "pro passport" is for Canadian visa application and not citizenship application. The pro passport guys made a mistake and I submitted it online without realizing. Do you think there is a chance my application will be returned in the future? How do I address this situation so that there is no delay in the processing timeline.

Thank you!

raja1028

Star Member
Sep 21, 2018
Hi, i'm in the process of filling the online application for citizenship. I have travelled to India twice in last 2 years and while travelling from Canada to India, there is one day missing while in transit. Also while returning form India, the date on which I have started form India and the date I landed in Canada is same. Is that OK if a date overlaps or one day misses between two addresses?
I'm planning to adjust the dates while in India to avoid that gap or overlap. Please advice. Thanks.

bubagump

Nov 5, 2018
During COVID lockdown in 2020, I got my online CoPR on July 31st 2020. So this makes the date I obtained Permanent Residence as July 31st 2020. But I left for my home country on July 28th 2020. (4 days prior)

The CIC Citizenship Online Application’s Physical Presence Calculator checks that one’s Permanent Resident date should be between the dates they are present in Canada. But this was not the case in my scenario as I was physically not in Canada when I got CoPR.

Because of this system limitation, I cannot proceed with my citizenship application, what should I do in this case ?

This issue is going to be coming for many others too if they were a temporary resident before. The online presence calculator will not handle this scenario and will give error. Anyone faced the same scenario please help.

I am summarizing scenario below:

PR Obtained Date (eCOPR came by email): July 31st 2020
Date Left Canada: July 28th 2020
Date Returned Canada: December 28 2020

If you enter the above data, the physical presence calculator will give error.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
During COVID lockdown in 2020, I got my online CoPR on July 31st 2020. So this makes the date I obtained Permanent Residence as July 31st 2020. But I left for my home country on July 28th 2020. (4 days prior)

The CIC Citizenship Online Application’s Physical Presence Calculator checks that one’s Permanent Resident date should be between the dates they are present in Canada. But this was not the case in my scenario as I was physically not in Canada when I got CoPR.

Because of this system limitation, I cannot proceed with my citizenship application, what should I do in this case ?

This issue is going to be coming for many others too if they were a temporary resident before. The online presence calculator will not handle this scenario and will give error. Anyone faced the same scenario please help.

I am summarizing scenario below:

PR Obtained Date (eCOPR came by email): July 31st 2020
Date Left Canada: July 28th 2020
Date Returned Canada: December 28 2020

If you enter the above data, the physical presence calculator will give error.
Try with PR date as Dec, 28 2020 instead

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, i'm in the process of filling the online application for citizenship. I have travelled to India twice in last 2 years and while travelling from Canada to India, there is one day missing while in transit. Also while returning form India, the date on which I have started form India and the date I landed in Canada is same. Is that OK if a date overlaps or one day misses between two addresses?
I'm planning to adjust the dates while in India to avoid that gap or overlap. Please advice. Thanks.
Date on which you left from Canada should be entered
Date you came back to Canada should be entered

OmarSarfraz

Jul 25, 2014
My Citizenship Application Tracker has not updated since 10 days. It says 14th March 2023 on top. IRCC does not pick up the phone nor they acknowledge the receipt of additional documents sent to them.

What should I do?

kyleshyro

Nov 14, 2018
Q13: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

For this question, is this applicable for US student visas also or for Green Card holders only?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Q13: Do you currently, or have you ever held immigration or citizenship status in a country or territory other than Canada (this includes your country of birth)?

For this question, is this applicable for US student visas also or for Green Card holders only?
Please do include all visa including visitor visa