+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

q30327

Jan 9, 2015
I have a question about the validation of my previous student visa after I landing. I was at the border tonight for landing and after I landed, the immigration officer told me that if I would like to travel (in 2 weeks) before I receive my PR card (in 4-6 weeks), I will need to apply for travel document. When I asked if I can use my student visa which is still valid, she said she is NOT SURE!!!! Anyone who has experience or knowledge of this topic? Help!!!

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As long as you have declared this in your application, you will be fine.

chenying3612 said:
My wife has been refused a US visa because we thought getting a US visa might help her get a visitor visa to Canada... (she was refused a Canada visa before that)

Is this a serious problem???

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will be fine, and yes you can certainly do it. When you receive your passport and CoPR, you will also get a letter explaining how to do the landing. The letter outlines that you must leave Canada, enter another country and re-enter Canada again to become a permanent resident.

mengoose said:
Has anybody landed by going home? I am about to receive my passport back from the CIC, and I am thinking about returning to my home country and land when I come back. How did it go?
Thanks!

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's a risk you have to take my friend. I was told at the border that I CANNOT USE THE CoPR and CANNOT LEAVE CANADA until I get my PR card. CoPR is only valid for travels "BY LAND" between US and Canada. It's up to you if you want to take this risk! Also, if your student visa is currently expired, you will not be able to renew it again because the system will automatically detect that you are a permanent resident.

q30327 said:
I have a question about the validation of my previous student visa after I landing. I was at the border tonight for landing and after I landed, the immigration officer told me that if I would like to travel (in 2 weeks) before I receive my PR card (in 4-6 weeks), I will need to apply for travel document. When I asked if I can use my student visa which is still valid, she said she is NOT SURE!!!! Anyone who has experience or knowledge of this topic? Help!!!

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
pepe84 said:
That's a risk you have to take my friend. I was told at the border that I CANNOT USE THE CoPR and CANNOT LEAVE CANADA until I get my PR card. CoPR is only valid for travels "BY LAND" between US and Canada. It's up to you if you want to take this risk! Also, if your student visa is currently expired, you will not be able to renew it again because the system will automatically detect that you are a permanent resident.
You do not PR card to get into Canada, whether it's between Canada and the US, or Canada and between any other country. Visa and PR card are issued are mainly issued for airlines to appraise the admissibility of the travel in the destination country and minimize their risk. It took me 4 months to get my PR card after landing, so I actually (extensively) discussed these possibilities with CBSA. You show the visa to the airline officials and they have no way knowing it is voided since it's not physically any different. You cannot fly between Canada and the US with your CO-PR. The land border is cool because no third party is involved in the process, the guy is in a car/bus etc and they can simply be turned back if deemed to be inadmissible on the other side of the border.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
4 months to get your PR card? :eek: :eek: :eek:

When did you land? is there any way to check the PR card processing status online? I was told that yes you can through eCAS but my eCAS only shows my application for permanent residency as complete.

sia_kb8 said:
You do not PR card to get into Canada, whether it's between Canada and the US, or Canada and between any other country. Visa and PR card are issued are mainly issued for airlines to appraise the admissibility of the travel in the destination country and minimize their risk. It took me 4 months to get my PR card after landing, so I actually (extensively) discussed these possibilities with CBSA. You show the visa to the airline officials and they have no way knowing it is voided since it's not physically any different. You cannot fly between Canada and the US with your CO-PR. The land border is cool because no third party is involved in the process, the guy is in a car/bus etc and they can simply be turned back if deemed to be inadmissible on the other side of the border.

noc4012NOV2014

Star Member
Dec 9, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2014
Nomination.....
16-02-2015
Med's Request
24-04-2015; second line 23-04-2015
Med's Done....
30-04-2015;uploaded 07-05-2015
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
first time 27May, second time10June, DM 30May
VISA ISSUED...
12June2015, passport arrives CPC-O
sia_kb8 said:
Hi sia_kb8, thanks for the info.
So you mean as long as we have a valid (by its date only) Visa on passport, we can actually fly to another country and back to Canada before receiving the PR card? Did you travel like that? My worry was for some reason they found I am a PR and my study permit is not legally valid anymore and they consider I am cheating.
Thanks for your answer.

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
I landed August 29-2014, I got my card Dec 9-2014 (two days before my departure). It was such an emotional roller-coaster. The reason it took them so long was because the CBSA officer who did my landing by mistake gave me back both copies of my CO-PR. I realized this shortly, went back to the border (BWB) gave them the form and they said they were going to send it to Sydney. But as I learned, once card printing deviates from its norms, you ought to expect long delays. The best part is that no one really has any information and no one takes any responsibility. There are simply no notes whatsoever anywhere to tell you why this was delayed, where the files and whether it's being processed or not. Anyway, I got to experience the incompetencies of CBSA and CIC first hand.

Now when they were trying to "help" me resolve my situation, they specially mentioned that it's perfectly ok for me to travel to Canada with my old student visa (provided it's not expired). Here's the reasoning: you cannot be denied your right as PR to enter Canada, so long as you present yourself to a port of entry and provide ample documentation supporting your residency status in Canada (read: CO-PR). The visa is to just placate the airlines if you flying in.

Diplomatru

VIP Member
May 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sia_kb8 said:
I landed August 29-2014, I got my card Dec 9-2014 (two days before my departure). It was such an emotional roller-coaster. The reason it took them so long was because the CBSA officer who did my landing by mistake gave me back both copies of my CO-PR. I realized this shortly, went back to the border (BWB) gave them the form and they said they were going to send it to Sydney. But as I learned, once card printing deviates from its norms, you ought to expect long delays. The best part is that no one really has any information and no one takes any responsibility. There are simply no notes whatsoever anywhere to tell you why this was delayed, where the files and whether it's being processed or not. Anyway, I got to experience the incompetencies of CBSA and CIC first hand.

Now when they were trying to "help" me resolve my situation, they specially mentioned that it's perfectly ok for me to travel to Canada with my old student visa (provided it's not expired). Here's the reasoning: you cannot be denied your right as PR to enter Canada, so long as you present yourself to a port of entry and provide ample documentation supporting your residency status in Canada (read: CO-PR). The visa is to just placate the airlines if you flying in.
Perfectly reasonable!

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for sharing this. I have no choice other than waiting for PR card, because my TRV is expired :(

sia_kb8 said:

managersonline

Champion Member
Oct 18, 2014
sia_kb8 said:

Thanks for sharing this experience.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SOURCE: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=064&t=10

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?

We do not mail permanent resident (PR) cards to addresses outside Canada. Please choose the option below that describes your case.

If your card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you need to tell CIC.

You may also need a passport to re-enter Canada. Please see the Canadian Border Services Agency website for what documents you will need at the border.
If you plan to return in a commercial vehicle, like a plane or bus

If you plan to return to Canada in a commercial vehicle — such as a plane, train, boat or bus — you must apply for a travel document at a visa office outside Canada before you return to Canada.

You should also check with the commercial operator (for example, the airline or bus company you will be using) to see what documents they need.
If you return in a private vehicle, like your own car

If you return to Canada in a private vehicle, such as your own car, you do not need a PR card. You can use your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688) instead.

You would have been given these documents:

if you applied from overseas: at the same time as your visa, or
if you applied from within Canada at your local visa office when you landed.

An officer will ask you questions to make sure you meet all of the residency requirements before they allow you to come back to Canada.

When you return to Canada, apply for a PR card if you plan to travel outside Canada again.

mina3000

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-June-2014
AOR Received.
17-Oct-2014
Med's Request
07-Nov-2014
Med's Done....
14-Nov-2014
My tracking number for my passport shows deliver today but there is no signature. Although I asked for signature.
Is is supposed to appear at the same time or later

farahnz

Star Member
Dec 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Request
late March-2015
mina3000 said:
My tracking number for my passport shows deliver today but there is no signature. Although I asked for signature.
Is is supposed to appear at the same time or later
Mina3000, when I sent my package to Sydney I also asked for signature but it took a day to show the signature online after the delivery. I asked Canada post for the reason and they said when you send your package to a large organization like CIC, this is normal. Nothing to worry about.

mina3000

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-June-2014
AOR Received.
17-Oct-2014
Med's Request
07-Nov-2014
Med's Done....
14-Nov-2014
Thanks Faragnz for your reply. I feel better now.

farahnz said:
Mina3000, when I sent my package to Sydney I also asked for signature but it took a day to show the signature online after the delivery. I asked Canada post for the reason and they said when you send your package to a large organization like CIC, this is normal. Nothing to worry about.