+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

PhdStream

Aug 7, 2013
DrImmi said:
It is not visa, it is a travel document and it is only needed if you are flying in, but if you cross the border driving from USA the CPR is sufficient.

Here is the information you need to get the travel document if you want to return before having your PR card.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp
thanks ..

is there anyone in this thread who applied for PRTD before they received PR card.

ojee4real

Nov 1, 2014
Hello all,
I just realized I unconsciously omitted my acquired certificates when I applied for PR through the PhD stream. I did include my ECA report though. I know its stupid of me to do have done that. Do you guys think I can remedy this by sending them now? Or should I just wait? Its close to 2 months since I filed my application. I need any advice I can get please!

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
By certificates, do you mean your diplomas? And did you get the first email from CIC saying that your application is transferred to the visa office?

ojee4real said:
Hello all,
I just realized I unconsciously omitted my acquired certificates when I applied for PR through the PhD stream. I did include my ECA report though. I know its stupid of me to do have done that. Do you guys think I can remedy this by sending them now? Or should I just wait? Its close to 2 months since I filed my application. I need any advice I can get please!

DavidGilmour

May 22, 2014
Hi guys,

I have a quick question but really important for me:

- I would like to know that for graduated phd student ( graduated in augest 2014), is it necessary to reevaluate my master and bachelor degrees again or just my phd ( from canadian school) is enough?

Thank you in advance,

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You do not have to submit an ECA report for previous degrees if you have obtained the highest level in Canada. However, you do have to send a copy of your transcripts from all your degrees. At this point, it cannot be remediated. You can either try to send a new application and be prepared to get a double charge in your CC, or just wait to see if they accept the old application without transcripts from previous schools. I think Sidney will accept it, but Ottawa may ask for transcrips at a later stage. I wouldn't worry too much about it since you did submit the most important transcripts from the PhD program you have recently completed.

DavidGilmour said:
Hi guys,

I have a quick question but really important for me:

- I would like to know that for graduated phd student ( graduated in augest 2014), is it necessary to reevaluate my master and bachelor degrees again or just my phd ( from canadian school) is enough?

Thank you in advance,

pyzdfr

Star Member
Sep 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-05-2014
Doc's Request.
20-10-2014
AOR Received.
13-08-2014
Med's Request
21-10-2014
Med's Done....
28-10-2014
Interview........
Not Requested
Passport Req..
08-01-2015
I have recently moved to a new place and I've updated my address through online cic website. However, I've heard that some people recommend to call cic and ask them to verify that the changes have been applied in the system. Otherwise, I might run into trouble with receiving the PR card.

I am wondering if you have any experience regarding address change.
Any help is appreciated.

AmberImm

Mar 19, 2014
Hi guys,

I have a question about adding spouse after receiving the medical examination. I just got the medical examination request from CIC. I'm very happy. My boyfriend and I were planning to get married later this month, so we decided to add him to my application so that we can get the PR status together.

My question is, I don't know how to add him exactly. I think I need to (1) change my marriage status in all my application documents; (2) submit the documents required for spouse mentioned in the document checklist. But should I also submit a letter stating my change of marriage status and my willing to add a dependant in my application?

If anyone is familiar with the process, please give me some guide. This is very important to me and I don't want to mess this up. Thanks!!!!

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Congrats on the medical exam request. If you add a spouse now it may delay the process of the application because they will ask you to submit police certificates, application forms, medical exam and paymemts for your spouse. Also, the proof of funding may increase if you add the spouse. My best advise is to sponsor the spouse once you get the PR. If he can stay in Canada legally for at least a year, then I would recommend to sponsor him once you get your PR.

By the way, when did you get your medical request?

AmberImm said:
Hi guys,

I have a question about adding spouse after receiving the medical examination. I just got the medical examination request from CIC. I'm very happy. My boyfriend and I were planning to get married later this month, so we decided to add him to my application so that we can get the PR status together.

My question is, I don't know how to add him exactly. I think I need to (1) change my marriage status in all my application documents; (2) submit the documents required for spouse mentioned in the document checklist. But should I also submit a letter stating my change of marriage status and my willing to add a dependant in my application?

If anyone is familiar with the process, please give me some guide. This is very important to me and I don't want to mess this up. Thanks!!!!

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Then I would send the photocopy of diplomas to the centralized intake office right away with a letter explaining the situation. They are the ones checking if your application is complete and they may send the application back if they think it is incomplete.

ojee4real said:
@ RA_toronto.Yea I mean diplomas i have obtained already. No response from CIC yet. I am still waiting!

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
I have a friend who did that, twice.

PhdStream said:
thanks ..

is there anyone in this thread who applied for PRTD before they received PR card.

arian_arian

Star Member
Mar 24, 2014
yahia.eldemerdash said:
Thank you for your reply....Actually for my case there are two issues:

1- my reference letter was no dated.
2- my fund was below the required amount.

I know these details from GCMS notes that I applied for after receiving the rejection letter.
Before received the rejection, I noticed that my status became Decision Made. So, I tried to guess the reason and sent any update before receiving the rejection. I sent a POF with the required amount just one day before I receive the rejection.

I do not know if they will consider this POF in the new evaluation. Shall I update my ref. letter with dated one, as well as a POF?
If I were you, I would do that.

AprilMosaic

Oct 12, 2014
I would suggest you to send an email to CIC and ask for the necessary steps to take. When your application reaches a stage where your passport is required (this can be three weeks to several months after the result of your medical exam reaches CIC), you will have to notify CIC regarding any change in marital status. Given that your wedding is gonna happen within this month, it's likely that you'll be married before getting a passport request.

I copied and pasted the following paragraphs from my "passport request" email and hope it gives you a sense of what CIC might ask for:

"The processing of your application for permanent residence in Canada is almost complete. The following is required to complete your application.

STEP 1: STATUS CHANGE (If none of these conditions applies to you, you may proceed to STEP 2)
Has your family composition changed since our last correspondence?
· Have you married or divorced?
· Have you given birth or adopted a child?
· Do you intend to get married or divorced prior to becoming a permanent resident?
· Do you intend to give birth or adopt a child prior to becoming a permanent resident?
· Have you changed your contact information: e-mail address/mailing address/telephone number?

If any of these conditions apply, you must inform CPC-O immediately:
CPC-CTD-Ottawa @ cic.gc.ca

You will be asked to submit evidence such as a copy of the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption certificate or a letter advising when and where the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption is expected to take place. Any new spouse and/or children must be added to your application and be found admissible to Canada before your case is finalized. Failure to declare additional dependants such as a spouse or children before you become a permanent resident could result in the cancellation of your permanent resident visa. Once your file is closed, you would be required to submit a new application and pay new processing fees. Any new application would be assessed under the Act and Regulations in force at the time of its submission."

AmberImm said:
Hi guys,

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
AprilMosaic said:
You will be asked to submit evidence such as a copy of the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption certificate or a letter advising when and where the marriage, divorce, birth or adoption is expected to take place. Any new spouse and/or children must be added to your application and be found admissible to Canada before your case is finalized. Failure to declare additional dependants such as a spouse or children before you become a permanent resident could result in the cancellation of your permanent resident visa. Once your file is closed, you would be required to submit a new application and pay new processing fees. Any new application would be assessed under the Act and Regulations in force at the time of its submission."
The bold part is very very important. If you are planning to get married before landing, then you MUST notify the visa office immediately to add your spouse, so you will get your PR together. Failing to do so may result, not only, in your inability to sponsor your spouse later in the future, your own PR status may be revoked due to misrepresentation. This is a very serious matter. If you would like to sponsor your spouse after landing, do NOT get married before landing. Land first, get married, then sponsor him.

So either:
1. Get married soon, notify CIC, then add your spouse onto your application. You two will become PR at the same time, and nobody will be subject to condition 51, but the processing times may be delayed by several weeks.
2. Wait until you get your PR, land, then only AFTER landing you should get married.After marriage, you may sponsor your husband, and he will be subject to condition 51.

What you can NOT do is get married now, not notify CIC, then land as a single person. You will have misrepresented yourself, and may run onto legal issues when it comes the time to sponsor your spouse later (which you won't ever be able to).