+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

ma_du

Aug 5, 2014
Viva2014 said:
First, if you , as the principle applicant, is paying the fee, then you should leave the "the name of payer" and " address" blank as mentioned (if different then they should be written).

"Name of card holder (please print)" means that the cardholder should write (not type) his/her full name by "hand" and it should be legible(not cursive). Then the cardholder should sign it.

Thank you.
I think this is how should I fill the form.

Viva2014

Jun 10, 2014
pepe84 said:
Thanks a lot Viva2014, you so helpful as usual!

I was scared that I may also be asked for intention to live outside Quebec :eek:
No Problem ;)

Don't worry. They will never ask this question from you.

Oct 11, 2014
Hi, everyone, I'm a 3rd year Phd student, however, in the first 2 years, most of my funding was from graduate scholarship (that's a privilege, instead of getting funds from the department). So my department has just sent me a draft reference letter in which most of the time and salary was on position Graduate Scholarship (40h/ week for 2 years), and the duties of this position match NOC 4012. The remaining positions are TA and RA and the duties are the same like Graduate Scholarship,but the working time was not enough for 1 year. Please let me know your opinion:

1. Will they accept experience from that position Graduate Scholarship as the duties all match NOC 4012. If possible, what should I tell them to correct the letter before printing out.
2. I have another reference letter from the old company from my country, saying that I had 1 year working as a chemical engineer. However, if later they ask for pay tubs or contract, I may not be able to provide as I don't have them with me now. I really don't know which experience I should state as the primary occupation in the application: 4012 or Chemical Engineer.

Thank you

RA_toronto

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-09-2013
AOR Received.
06-12-2013
File Transfer...
06-12-2013
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
16-07-2014
Passport Req..
12-08-2014
VISA ISSUED...
15-09-2014
LANDED..........
08-10-2014
Hi everyone,

I finally landed on October 8 (I received the visa on September 15, but didn't have time to go to the border earlier). The whole landing thing took half an hour or maybe less. In terms of documents, the officer asked for an employment letter or bank account statements. I just got a new statement from the bank before heading to the border just in case, so I showed that. Now waiting for the PR card to arrive in the mail. Apparently it usually takes 6-8 weeks.

Good luck to you all!

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
jeffrey2012 said:
hi,

may i know which border in Montreal? they dont need CSQ?? thanks
The airport. You can land anywhere in canada, as long as you prove that you are not going to settle in Quebec.

jeffrey2012

Nov 22, 2013
thanks for your reply.

i was wondering that you just went out canada in the airport and returned back to Canada in the airport without a refusal letter from another country? or you acutally went to another country and then came back to Canada for landing in the airport?

it seems that other guys who landed at the US/CANADA border would got a refusal letter at the US custom and then back to Canada to show the letter for finishing landing. thanks.

TyrusX said:
The airport. You can land anywhere in canada, as long as you prove that you are not going to settle in Quebec.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
jeffrey2012 said:
thanks for your reply.

i was wondering that you just went out canada in the airport and returned back to Canada in the airport without a refusal letter from another country? or you acutally went to another country and then came back to Canada for landing in the airport?

it seems that other guys who landed at the US/CANADA border would got a refusal letter at the US custom and then back to Canada to show the letter for finishing landing. thanks.
I went to Europe and come back.

ubc2010

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Dear All,

I have sent my passport for PR visa on Sept 29 and still I did not get my passport back.
I have checked the tracker and there are some applicants who sent their passport two months a go and haven't received it yet, is that normal?
or it may be a mistake in filling the tracker sheet. Any help or clarifications!
Thanks.

cnt_2013

Apr 24, 2013
Hi, I am not sure if it works differently in your department but in my department I receive RAship (part of graduate scholarship) to "work" for my supervisor. This RAship is part of the scholarship so it's not real work that CIC is looking for.

If you are referring to the RAship you get as part of the scholarship, CIC might not accept it. I read in this forum that some people got lucky including it (e.g., getting reference letter from own supervisor or the department) but I have never seen it happening.

If you actually did work and have pay stub stating that you worked XX hours/month as a RA, it's fine.

I would suggest to get reference letter(s) from your old work place and put chemical engineer as primary occupation.

Good Luck

self_confident said:
Hi, everyone, I'm a 3rd year Phd student, however, in the first 2 years, most of my funding was from graduate scholarship (that's a privilege, instead of getting funds from the department). So my department has just sent me a draft reference letter in which most of the time and salary was on position Graduate Scholarship (40h/ week for 2 years), and the duties of this position match NOC 4012. The remaining positions are TA and RA and the duties are the same like Graduate Scholarship,but the working time was not enough for 1 year. Please let me know your opinion:

1. Will they accept experience from that position Graduate Scholarship as the duties all match NOC 4012. If possible, what should I tell them to correct the letter before printing out.
2. I have another reference letter from the old company from my country, saying that I had 1 year working as a chemical engineer. However, if later they ask for pay tubs or contract, I may not be able to provide as I don't have them with me now. I really don't know which experience I should state as the primary occupation in the application: 4012 or Chemical Engineer.

Thank you

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zorroo said:
Could you please tell me the link of "PhD stream tracker"?
Also, I have a question regarding RA/TA especially for people who got their file number recently: Does Sydney have problem with full time RA/TA (i.e. 30 hr/w) during study?
Finally, Does anybody have an idea about work experience from back home in terms of acceptance by CIC? How often they ask for extra proof like contracts?
Thanks
Does anybody have an idea?

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
cnt_2013 said:
Hi, I am not sure if it works differently in your department but in my department I receive RAship (part of graduate scholarship) to "work" for my supervisor. This RAship is part of the scholarship so it's not real work that CIC is looking for.

If you are referring to the RAship you get as part of the scholarship, CIC might not accept it. I read in this forum that some people got lucky including it (e.g., getting reference letter from own supervisor or the department) but I have never seen it happening.

If you actually did work and have pay stub stating that you worked XX hours/month as a RA, it's fine.

I would suggest to get reference letter(s) from your old work place and put chemical engineer as primary occupation.

Good Luck
Hi cnt_2013,

If your RA income goes under T4A, then CIC will still accept it, provided that your reference letter follows the guideline provided by the instruction guide (clearly document the money that goes under RA, the number of hours, etc).

I am a living proof of this, and I have also helped several other people from my own department get PR using just TA/RA experience alone, and they all successfully become PRs. Just make sure that your reference letters include everything that is required by CIC (including the duties, responsibilities and lead statements of NOC 4012), and everything will be fine.

Keep in mind though that this would NOT work for CEC, as CIC is being explicit in that they won't accept anymore work experience that is gained while the applicant is studying full-time (co-op, TA/RA, etc).

EDIT:

Parkinson pointed out a very informative link, which was relatively recent, but it consolidates our position all along in that CIC indeed accepts TA/RA as valid work experience, provided that it satisfies all of the other criteria.

You may be able to count experience as a teaching, research or lab assistant at a post-secondary educational institution, (see National Occupation Classification 4012) toward the work experience requirement, depending on a few factors, and on the program you are applying to immigrate under.

You must show that you did the job as described in the occupational description of the NOC, meaning that you did all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed. If you do not show that your experience meets the description in NOC, your application will be refused.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=855&t=6
As I mentioned, it boils down to whether or not your reference letter mentions duties (AND LEAD STATEMENT) that are substantially matching those of NOC 4012, and whether or not you can get at least 1,560 continuous hours (if you rely on these hours to satisfy the minimum work experience requirements). There is no mention whatsoever that the income needs to be taxable.

pepe84

Champion Member
Jan 2, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Meyakanor,

I totally agree with you. I even know a person who recently got PR and they submitted the T4A to prove the income from RA. So for the PhD stream, it doesn't matter if the salary you get is not taxable. Now for CEC, as you said, they will never accept it.

Another point is that you mentioned the lead statement, but if you re-read the duties for NOC 4012,the lead statement is clearly included in one of the duties. Thus, as long as he includes all the duties from this NOC, he should be fine without having to include the lead statement. Honestly, when my prof wrote my letter with both lead statement and all duties, it looked very but VERY redundant and it seemed to have been copied and pasted directly from the PDF.

Hope this helps and let me know if I am wrong.

meyakanor said:
Hi cnt_2013,

If your RA income goes under T4A, then CIC will still accept it, provided that your reference letter follows the guideline provided by the instruction guide (clearly document the money that goes under RA, the number of hours, etc).

I am a living proof of this, and I have also helped several other people from my own department get PR using just TA/RA experience alone, and they all successfully become PRs. Just make sure that your reference letters include everything that is required by CIC (including the duties, responsibilities and lead statements of NOC 4012), and everything will be fine.

Keep in mind though that this would NOT work for CEC, as CIC is being explicit in that they won't accept anymore work experience that is gained while the applicant is studying full-time (co-op, TA/RA, etc).

EDIT:

Parkinson pointed out a very informative link, which was relatively recent, but it consolidates our position all along in that CIC indeed accepts TA/RA as valid work experience, provided that it satisfies all of the other criteria.

As I mentioned, it boils down to whether or not your reference letter mentions duties (AND LEAD STATEMENT) that are substantially matching those of NOC 4012, and whether or not you can get at least 1,560 continuous hours (if you rely on these hours to satisfy the minimum work experience requirements). There is no mention whatsoever that the income needs to be taxable.

Fid0

Sep 16, 2014
RA_toronto said:
I finally landed on October 8 (I received the visa on September 15, but didn't have time to go to the border earlier). The whole landing thing took half an hour or maybe less.
Thanks for sharing your experiment with us. I assumed you flagpolled at US-CA border.
If this is true, could you tell which border you used? And what you have received from US side? Did you have US visa?

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sia_kb8 said:
Claimed 30 hr/wk and got full-time work experience experience credit.
Did you have another work experience as well (beside ra/ta)?
Can you share your timeline information?
Thanks