14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
Anna2013 said:
I am so confused with this justification (and the one you made earlier)! Do you really believe that the rejection is legit because the applicant has assisted "in only one activity" and if there were two activities s/he would not have been rejected?

Are you saying that if your letter has a single activity for any "plural thing" in a particular NOC, then it means that you are not skilled in that occupation? For example, NOC 4011 says "Univ profs and lecturers teach courses... ". So if you teach only one course at a university, then this makes you NOT a university professor or lecturer?
I made this conclusion based on the cases in this forum and only for NOC 4012. Maybe it is not right. We never saw a case of rejection when they had two expression about assisting professors even if they did not have the leading statement "assists in research activities" explicitly. But, we had at least two cases of rejection with only one expression.

Jun zheng

May 15, 2014
Hi. Guys. If we want to get the adaptability for five points from my wife's education, it says that my wife has to be in good academic standing. My wife did two years post graduation study in Canada, but her transcript only shows four terms grades. We want her school to issue a letter indicating that her program is two years program and he was in good academic standing during this period, but her school refused do this. Could anyone give us some suggestions how should we do? Thanks.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Jun zheng said:
Hi. Guys. If we want to get the adaptability for five points from my wife's education, it says that my wife has to be in good academic standing. My wife did two years post graduation study in Canada, but her transcript only shows four terms grades. We want her school to issue a letter indicating that her program is two years program and he was in good academic standing during this period, but her school refused do this. Could anyone give us some suggestions how should we do? Thanks.

There is a standard form (a link) in the form "checklist" of the PhD stream available on CIC's website for academic standing. Your institute should print it and fill it out for you. Everybody here has done that.

Plus any of the following may write a supporting letter that indicates your wife is in good academic standing: the institute's graduate studies, the department's graduate secretary, or her supervisor.

Again, you get better results if you get the standard form from CIC.

May 20, 2014
Dear Friends,

I am new to this forum. I have been following the discussions for the past year or so, since my application. I decided to update 3 of my ref. letters from 2 different universities to include the "assisted" word. Do you think that updating POF is a good idea at this point (I included 6 months history initially)? I have searched the forum and it seems like there is no consensus on this topic. Any ideas? Also, initially I submitted a letter from my PhD program director (as a delegate of the Faculty of Graduate Studies) about my 2 years in the PhD program. Should I get a letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies directly as an update?

I have seen people talking about updating PCC proactively. I included the PCC in initial application. Should I think about proactively updating my PCCs?

Thank you so much

climate_modeller

Star Member
Feb 28, 2013
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
21-May-2014
AOR Received.
17-Jun-2013
IELTS Request
with application
File Transfer...
17-Jun-2013
Med's Request
22-05-2014
Med's Done....
28-05-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
not necessary
VISA ISSUED...
11-07-2014 (CoPR)
LANDED..........
26-07-2014
Galiano Island said:
Dear Friends,

I am new to this forum. I have been following the discussions for the past year or so, since my application. I decided to update 3 of my ref. letters from 2 different universities to include the "assisted" word. Do you think that updating POF is a good idea at this point (I included 6 months history initially)? I have searched the forum and it seems like there is no consensus on this topic. Any ideas? Also, initially I submitted a letter from my PhD program director (as a delegate of the Faculty of Graduate Studies) about my 2 years in the PhD program. Should I get a letter from the Faculty of Graduate Studies directly as an update?

I have seen people talking about updating PCC proactively. I included the PCC in initial application. Should I think about proactively updating my PCCs?

Thank you so much
With regard to the POF, it seems that those who initially document that they are close to the minimum amount are required to update, but those who initially document that they are well-above the minimum amount are not; yet, I don't really have the data to support that hypothesis. It's really just a best guess.

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
Could someone comment on this letter please. I have asked about it once 4 days ago but it missed catching peoples eyes. Thanks.

"This is to certify that Mr. XXXX has been a Research Assistant working towards Ph.D degree under my supervision at XXXXX from May 2011 until present (25 hours per week). As a research assistant his main duty is to assist professors to carryout research in the department. The annual total salary of XXXXX is $XXXX (CAD) at a rate of $33.34 CAD per hour. He is working to understand how the interactions of two stress hormones (chemicals released by brain when we are stressed) alter brain function. In addition to the work he does for his PhD project, he assists me in two other projects as well. As a research assistant (NOC-4012) his duties are:
• Conducting experiments (Imaging studies, electrophysiology and immunohistochemistry on human and rat brain tissue), surveys and literature reviews.
• Assist professors to write proposals for research grants.
• Scheduling experiments and maintaining data records.
• Assist professors to analyze research results, interpretation and present it to funding agencies and pharmaceutical companies during conferences.
• Assist professors in compiling research results and analyzing data for the preparation of journal articles or papers.
• Assist professors in writing research articles for publication in peer reviewed journals.
• Attending national and international conferences to present research work representing the lab.
• Assisting his supervisor in training masters, undergraduate and high-school students while doing their projects/co-ops in the lab.
• Assisting technicians in addressing problems and troubleshooting the equipment in the lab.
Mr. XXXX is making excellent progress in research assistantships. He is recently awarded with Ontario Graduate Scholarship, a competitive award. He is expected to complete all of the degree requirements for the Ph.D. program by April 2015. If I can be of any further assistance please contact me through my email or phone number mentioned below.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if any of you who may have been involved with your graduate student association could let me know if RAs are unionized at your University, and if so (or if not), what the policies are regarding this.
I would really appreciate it if you could PM me documents with any type of admin information you may have on this. I would obviously keep this information confidential.

I know it's not exactly linked to immigration, but there is a good reason for me to ask ;-)

Thanks a lot!!!

ASG

arm739

Jan 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
4012-2134-4011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 8th, 2013
Doc's Request.
July 29th, 2013
IELTS Request
Along with Application
Med's Request
July 30th, 2014
Med's Done....
August 1st, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
August 22th, 2014
N_O said:
Hello there,

I am so sorry to hear that! Would you please share your RA reference letter with us?
Anyway, send them an email to ask whether they considered your updated letter or not, they will clarify this point definitely.
Thanks for your reply,

I just sent them that email. Can you please tell me what is the best action now? shall I reapply with good letters now? and is the processing time the same this time or it is shorter?

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
climate_modeller said:
With regard to the POF, it seems that those who initially document that they are close to the minimum amount are required to update, but those who initially document that they are well-above the minimum amount are not; yet, I don't really have the data to support that hypothesis. It's really just a best guess.
We showed well above the minimum amount....but they still asked...i guess it just depends on their mood while seeing your application...;-P

with regards to updating...i had updated my POF 8 months after applying but they still asked for it again before sending me medical request...so whether you update it before or not...they can still ask for it...

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
Galiano Island said:
Dear Friends,

Thank you so much
Regarding letter for 2 years...please follow the template as it is mentioned on the CIC website...I think it needs to be by the Faculty of grad studies...

Dani1982

Star Member
Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Nomination.....
26-09-2012
After fighting back against the unfair decision in the Federal court for about 7 months, Finally I got my medical today!

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Dani1982 said:
After fighting back against the unfair decision in the Federal court for about 7 months, Finally I got my medical today!
Wow! I think that you are the first one who appealed to the federal court in the PhD stream, congratulations!
Waiting to hear the details :)

cdhbamboo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2012
Dani1982 said:
Congratulations! A really good news, which makes our suspicion of the validity of updated reference letters released!

CIC should pay you the legal expenses of your appeal, did they?

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
Dani1982 said:
VERRRRY BIG CONGRATS !

U r the first to do it in this stream as far as I know