+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

zhougt

May 15, 2012
aidina said:
It is not assessed by the Ottawa yet. It is still in queue.
Thanks man!

Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? I mean my application is under review for more than 13 months. I can't wait forever...

ubcweicai

Jan 16, 2014
One month ago, I have applied for the PER assessment details online and received an email indicated "You have successfully submitted your request under the Privacy Act to Citizenship and Immigration Canada."

However, nothing happened until now... does anyone know how long will it take?

p.s. I request the documents by email

sgtrigger

Star Member
Sep 11, 2013
ubcweicai said:
One month ago, I have applied for the PER assessment details online and received an email indicated "You have successfully submitted your request under the Privacy Act to Citizenship and Immigration Canada."

However, nothing happened until now... does anyone know how long will it take?

p.s. I request the documents by email
It takes a month...exactly 30 days actually...

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
sgtrigger said:
It takes a month...exactly 30 days actually...
Not necessarily. I have applied 5 times so far. 3 times received it within 20 days, once received it 30 days after I applied, and once did not receive it at all :).

SMike

Jun 20, 2012
pyzdfr said:
Hello guys,

I have prepared a sample RA/TA letter for my application. Here it is my sample:

<Date>,

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter is to verify the employment of Mr. xxx in the department of xxx at the University of British Columbia (UBC).
Mr. xxx has been working as a Graduate Research Assistant under my supervision since he joined my research group in September 2011. As a Research Assistant, Mr. xxx has worked 30 hours a week since September 2011 and therefore, the total work experience as a Research Assistant accumulated by Mr. xxx is not less than 3800 hours. He has received funding in the amount of xxx in the first year and xxx in the second and third years for his work as a Research Assistant. Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) is the main source from which I receive my research funding.
As a Research Assistant, Mr. xxx has assisted me in research activities in the area of xxx. The duties of Mr. xxx as a Research Assistant include the followings:
• Plan and conduct scientific research in the area of xxx.
• Prepare literature reviews, compile and analyze results of experiments.
• Assist me to prepare, verify, and publish research results to be published in scholarly journals.
• Present research seminars and supervise undergraduate researchers.
Mr. xxx has also been assigned as a Graduate Teaching Assistant since January 2012. The total work experience as a Teaching Assistant accumulated by Mr. xxx is approximately 360 hours. Mr. xxx received approximately $2400 in the first year, $5500 in the second year, and $3600 in the third year for his teaching assisting duties.
As a Teaching Assistant, Mr. xxx assisted Dr. xxx and Dr. xxx in teaching undergraduate courses. The main duties of Mr. xxx as a Teaching Assistant were as follows:
• Conduct laboratory sessions to supplement lectures.
• Conduct tutorial sessions, and discussion groups.
• Grade homework, quizzes and laboratory reports.
• Making copies, filing, organizing and invigilating study sessions for exams.
• Hold office hours to answer student questions.
Should you have any questions or require further information, please contact me at a @ b.c or xxx-xxx-xxx.

<Supervisor's Name>
<Supervisor's Title>

As you can see, I have included both RA/TA letters in one letter, which will be signed by my supervisor. However, I am not sure if this is a good idea. So, it is appreciated if you could share your experience.
Also, I have tried to include leading statement, duties, and other requirements in the letter. Please let me know if there is still any room to improve this letter.

Thanks a lot and wish you best.
This looks good. I am not sure if you truly did fulltime RA in your first year. Did you have to take classes in your first year? If yes, how were you able to do fulltime (35-40 hr/week) or even up to 30 hr/ week TA or RA in your first year. You may want to explain this to CIC.

If my case is something that may help you, I claimed less than part-time TA work in my first year as I had to take classes and I did no RA at all in my first year. In my second year my combined RA and TA work was fulltime. I combined all these with the RA and TA work I did in my early third year just before I submitted my application. In addition I had a summary cover letter that contained a table of two columns: one column each for the month and the hours spent on RA or TA for that month. You don't have to do this but I did it.

Overall your draft letter looks good but you may have to give details or summary cover letter to support your claims.

Good luck.

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I got passport request! :D I am kidding, I do get passport request for VISA extension.

The process is so slow now. They have cut other programs, why it is still slow.

littlenorth

Feb 12, 2014
Hi folks,
I'm worrying about the bank statement. I submitted my statement together with my application, but it has been a year. and I DID NOT maintain that amount of money in my account after that! what if they want my bank statement of last 6 months and find that? What can I do for now?
thanks a lot.
:(

Houra

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aidina said:
Not necessarily. I have applied 5 times so far. 3 times received it within 20 days, once received it 30 days after I applied, and once did not receive it at all :).
Same thing here. The last time I applied was in Dec and I didn't get anything back. I emailed them a few times and finally they said they can't find my application even though they had the confirmation number... I just re-applied...

ASG

Star Member
Aug 18, 2011
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Houra said:
Same thing here. The last time I applied was in Dec and I didn't get anything back. I emailed them a few times and finally they said they can't find my application even though they had the confirmation number... I just re-applied...
same, ordered GCMS twice, still nothing...

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
littlenorth said:
Hi folks,
I'm worrying about the bank statement. I submitted my statement together with my application, but it has been a year. and I DID NOT maintain that amount of money in my account after that! what if they want my bank statement of last 6 months and find that? What can I do for now?
thanks a lot.
:(
If they ask for POF, they ask for the last six months bank statement. Start from today. Try to maintain the amount in your account (if you have the money) from now. If they ask for POF, 4 months later (for example), you at least have 4 months bank statement and can explain about 2 other months.

mike5182

Star Member
Feb 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi I want to update my bank statement, should I use the CPC-CTD-Ottawa @ cic.gc.ca or the old one. I tried to use the old one (ottpilot-immigration @ cic.gc.ca), it looks fine.
Thanks

gfenig

Mar 11, 2014
Hi I'm new in this forum. I applied on December 2012 and got rejected today. Here is my complete info.

Application received at CIO: 13-Dec-2013
Encashed: 24-Jan-2013
PER issued: 4-Feb-2013
Doc requested: 10-May-2013 (proof of funds)
Rejection Letter: 06-Mar-2014

I'm now in my 4th year of the Phd in Economics at UBC. Prior that I worked for 4 years as a financial researcher at the central bank in Mexico.
In the rejection letter is is mentioned the following:

"I am not satisfied that you meet these requirements. Your period of work experience as a Financial
Researcher (NOC 1112) at the Banco de Mexico does not meet the requirements of b) and c) above as the
letter of reference you submitted listed duties that do not match the actions of the lead statement and a
substantial number of the main duties under the NOC code you selected. Therefore, you failed to
demonstrate that your periods of work experience met the requirements listed above."

I understand I should re-apply. However, I'm not sure how to proceed in terms of re-submitting my employment letter. Is this a matter of choosing a more suitable NOC such as 4162 (Economists and economic policy researchers and analysts)? How about the rest of the documents for the application, is it possible to use the same one for a new application form?

Thanks

zhanghaizh007

Mar 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
NOC Code......
4012+2133
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2014
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
14-05-2014
Med's Request
09-06-2015
Med's Done....
23-06-2015
Passport Req..
06-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
05-08-2015
LANDED..........
15-10-2015
Hi guys, do you stamped your RA letters from professor with the university seal???

BioMed

Apr 23, 2013
Dear Friends,
I have a couple of quick questions and was wondering if you guys could help me out. I haven't found conclusive answers yet.
I am about to obtain my PhD from UdeM in Quebec. I know it's a bit complicated to apply under PhD stream for Quebec students as it's a separate issue. My questions are:
-Have any Quebec graduates ever applied under the PhD stream?
-I have been receiving stipend money from my PI's grant as RA during my PhD for 4 years, does that count as paid work experience?
-If I apply under PhD stream and while awaiting a reply leave Canada to do a postdoc in the US with the intention of returning to Canada, does that affect my application?
-Do I really need to submit IELTS scores even though I've been studying in English?
Many thanks

canadian-13

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 13, 2013
Doc's Request.
October 2013
AOR Received.
Mar-5-2013
LANDED..........
Landed...
BioMed said:
Dear Friends,
I have a couple of quick questions and was wondering if you guys could help me out. I haven't found conclusive answers yet.
I am about to obtain my PhD from UdeM in Quebec. I know it's a bit complicated to apply under PhD stream for Quebec students as it's a separate issue. My questions are:
-Have any Quebec graduates ever applied under the PhD stream?
-I have been receiving stipend money from my PI's grant as RA during my PhD for 4 years, does that count as paid work experience?
-If I apply under PhD stream and while awaiting a reply leave Canada to do a postdoc in the US with the intention of returning to Canada, does that affect my application?
-Do I really need to submit IELTS scores even though I've been studying in English?
Many thanks
Welcome on board!
To the best of my knowledge, you can apply from a Quebec Institution as long as you do not have the intention to remain in Quebec, such intentions to leave must be provable. There are hurdles, but they are not insurmountable, you may want to view the timeline of some Quebec guys who have gone through the PhD stream.
Your RA experience counts as work experience. Again, you may want to read through some old posts to see how the letter in support of the work experience should be phrased.
I think IELTS are required even if you can prove that you studied in English.
Your post-doc in the States should not come in your way of the application, rather it is a good proof that you intend to leave Quebec.
I must say that there are senior people on this forum who are more experienced in some of these issues. It would be nice for you to have their inputs also.
This is as far as I know... Bon chance!!