16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is interesting!

http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/01/06/immigration_phd_candidates_believe_they_were_systematically_rejected_by_canadas_federal_skilled_worker_program.html

ahmadimo

Jan 20, 2013
ahmadimo said:
Hi all,

I am sharing my RA reference letter that I have submitted with my application. I would highly appreciate inputs from all of you specially the senior members about the strength of this letter and what I should add to it to increase the chance of acceptance.

Many thanks

-----------------
Dear Sir or Madam:

I am pleased to write in support of the application of XX, my PhD Student, who is applying for Permanent Residency in Canada under the skilled worker. I have been
the main research supervisor of XX since his arrival in Canada in January 2011. As a Research Assistant in Chemical Engineering, XX has been assisting me by:

• Conducting reviews of previous literature;
• Performing numerical analysis, simulation experiments and physical experiments in research that will ultimately be published in his thesis and in journal articles.

his position as a research assistant is full-time at $40/hr with gross annual earning of XX $. XX is a very capable doctoral student and a fine person. I am pleased to support with enthusiasm his application for Permanent Residency.
Any thoughts on how to improve the above letter is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Stuck In Quebec said:
Hello Admins

I was going through the tracker and in my column it was mentioned under doc request that I was asked docs to prove intent to live outside Quebec, which is not true. Please rectify. Thanks.
It's good to know you got medical request without being asked for docs to prove intent to live outside Quebec. I recently graduated from McGill and moved to Toronto, kind of confusing about what to provide since I'm still looking for job. The complicated issue is I'm remotely working for my PhD supervisor, and I paid Quebec tax.

Already more than one year since I submitted my application, hope to hear from them soon. Good luck for every one.

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
Stuck In Quebec said:
Got my ppr on 06-01-2014 and passport sent off. Please update the tracker.

Congratulations! Really happy to hear your good news. So you haven't been asked for the proof of intent to live outside of Quebec then?

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
beh467 said:
http://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2014/01/06/immigration_phd_candidates_believe_they_were_systematically_rejected_by_canadas_federal_skilled_worker_program.html
Nice find Beh467 !

The rejections were actually at the CIO level and the reasons were similar to what many of us have encountered here:

a. Ambiguity in awarding adaptability points
b. Letter from the graduate school not conforming to CIC's requirements

Then again,we are talking only of two students that were rejected. At the same time, I can think of many of my colleagues/friends from U of T that were approved, so this might not be entirely representative. Looking at the tracker, we have a high approval rate of about 80% considering the sample size is just 130. It would be truly hard for one to extrapolate based on this news article. Nevertheless, makes for a very good read.

zhengyilove

Oct 17, 2012
I just finished my Medical exam, and received "ready for visa" email asking for my passport.

However, even I updated my address here "http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-address.asp". In their email, it still showed my old address. I emailed them a couple of times for the address issue, but they never reply.

Anybody can tell me what I should do? Many thx

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
zhengyilove said:
I just finished my Medical exam, and received "ready for visa" email asking for my passport.

However, even I updated my address here "http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/change-address.asp". In their email, it still showed my old address. I emailed them a couple of times for the address issue, but they never reply.

Anybody can tell me what I should do? Many thx
They do not necessarily answer every time. You are done. There is no reason to worry. When did you do your medical and when you received your pass request?

northyorkca

Aug 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
4012 and 4011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-09-2012
Doc's Request.
23-03-2013
Nomination.....
08-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
07-12-2013
Med's Done....
17-12-2013
Passport Req..
No Visa Required
VISA ISSUED...
9-01-2014 (COPR Received)
S_Govind said:
As you are from a Visa exempt country, CIC does not have to affix the counterfoil on your passport. The COPR would just be mailed to your address.
Thanks for this reply. So, just to clarify, you mean I won't get a passport request from them? Just the COPR in the mail only?

Also, I received my latest round of GCMS notes this morning. The updated reference letters made a huge difference in the second review of my application. Whereas the first reviewer (after the initial PER) had only awarded me 61 points and accepted almost none of my work experience, the second reviewer awarded me 76 points total. For those still in the waiting process, I definitely recommend getting GCMS notes regularly. It can give you the time to update letters if necessary.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
northyorkca said:
Thanks for this reply. So, just to clarify, you mean I won't get a passport request from them? Just the COPR in the mail only?
Yes, since the USA and Canada have a reciprocity agreement regarding travel for Citizens of the two countries. This means the counterfoil (Visa sticker so to say) does not have to be pasted on your passport.

PS: You might still get the 'Ready for Visa' letter and would be requested for two recent photographs (specifications are similar to the one you submitted initially with the application). One for the COPR and the other for the PR card

changsun

Oct 28, 2012
Hi guys. I just landed today. Thank you guys for all the help. This is a very helpful forum. I will be active to help others when I have time.
Just a quick update for the last time for my application status.

-----
Time line:
submit: Jan. 29, 2012
ME req.: Feb. 23, 2013
ME done: Nov. 30, 2013
Biodata req.: Dec. 06, 2013
Ready for visa letter: Dec. 19, 2013
Visa received: Dec. 30, 2013
Landed: Jan 08, 2014

zhengyilove

Oct 17, 2012
I emailed them a long time ago. But In their recent email, they still put in my old address. I am just worried that they will send my passport to the old address. You mean I do not need wait for their confirmation?

Medical Exam: Dec. 12
Passport request: Dec. 20

aidina said:
They do not necessarily answer every time. You are done. There is no reason to worry. When did you do your medical and when you received your pass request?

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
zhengyilove said:
I emailed them a long time ago. But In their recent email, they still put in my old address. I am just worried that they will send my passport to the old address. You mean I do not need wait for their confirmation?

Medical Exam: Dec. 12
Passport request: Dec. 20
The 2nd time I updated my personal information, they did not confirm, but put it in my CAIPS. Do not worry. When sending your passports, write a short letter, and let them know about your new address again. BTW, you can go on-line and update your address in E-cas. YOu do not need to send them e-mail. If worried, you can try it as well.

hamza.625

May 4, 2012
Hello everybody,

I am going to submit my application next week. Is here anybody who submitted his/her application to any other visa processing center other than CPP-Ottawa? Someone told me that it is faster if you apply to the processing center designated for your home country. He said he submitted to Delhi and he got his PR by 8 months. The processing center of my home country is Singapore and he encouraged me to apply there.

Regards.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
S_Govind said:
Nice find Beh467 !

The rejections were actually at the CIO level and the reasons were similar to what many of us have encountered here:

a. Ambiguity in awarding adaptability points
b. Letter from the graduate school not conforming to CIC's requirements

Then again,we are talking only of two students that were rejected. At the same time, I can think of many of my colleagues/friends from U of T that were approved, so this might not be entirely representative. Looking at the tracker, we have a high approval rate of about 80% considering the sample size is just 130. It would be truly hard for one to extrapolate based on this news article. Nevertheless, makes for a very good read.
I agree that two people cannot represent the sample but I strongly believe that the rejections were systematic. I hear from here and there that many people in this category got rejected (including myself). If a PhD student/graduate (whose main training and specialty is to do research/gather documents/write high quality papers/prepare thesis etc) in Canadian institutes cannot prepare an application that is approvable then WHO CAN? If we, after many years studying/living/working in Canadian systems lack the ability to prepare an application according to the guides and fail to go through the immigration filter, then how come that many who have never seen Canadian soil can make through this system?