CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
linux64 said:
In addition, please note that applications will be assessed according to the instructions in place at the time they are received.
Hi Parkinson,

Did you see this sentence in Linux64's letter?

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
N_O said:
Hi Parkinson,

Did you see this sentence in Linux64's letter?
Hi N_O,
Good point! It clearly says "at the time they are received" not at the time they are processed.

linux64

Aug 31, 2013
N_O said:
Was it on the university letterhead? Signed and stamped with the university seal?
The letter was in university letterhead and was signed and stamped. It was in an university envelope which had an university stamp over it.

Parkinson said:
Shouldn't you get it from college of graduate studies and research? Is it signed by dean of college of graduate studies and research?
The thing is that in the application checklist it says 'the letter must be signed by dean of college of graduate studies (or their delegates)' and my letter was signed by 'Director of graduate and admissions and records' so it should be fine. Another thing is that many of my friends got their PER with the exact attestation letter.

I guess it was officer's mistake.

Now my concern is that did my work experience also have some problems or the only problem was my attestation letter.

my submitted work experience letter is: (What is your idea about it because I am going to submit another package soon)

To whom it may concern:
This letter is to verify that Mr. X is registered as a full-time student in the PhD program in the Department of X at University of X, and he has been working as a post-secondary teaching and research assistants since September 1st 2011.
As a Research Assistant, Mr. X has worked for 25 hours per week from September 1st 2011 to September 1st 2013. Mr. X assisted Professor X and Y in research activities. As a research assistant, he has received $X per year.
The duties of Mr. X as a Research Assistant included the following:
• Plan and conduct scientific research in the area of X
• Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
• Compiling experimental results and assisting professors in the analysis of results
• Assisting the professors in preparation of journal articles and papers
• Organizing graduate research seminars
From September 1st 2011 to September 1st 2013, Mr. X was employed by the university as a Graduate Teaching Assistant, and he has worked 40-120 hours per semester which is total of 400 hours. He received $23.27 per hour for his teaching assisting duties which is totally $2,792 from September 1st 2011 to September 1st 2012 and 6,516$ from September 1st 2012 to September 1st 2013.
As a Teaching Assistant, Mr X assisted Professors X, Y, Z in teaching undergraduate courses. The main duties of Mr. X as a Teaching Assistant were as follows:
• Grading assignments, midterm and final examinations, and laboratory reports
• Help students work through lab experiments or projects
• Assist the students with their questions about the courses
• Prepare and demonstrate lab experiments as required by university professors
• Assisting professors in administering examinations in undergraduate courses
If you require any further information, please contact me at phone number (phone) or E-mail (X).
Sincerely,
Professor X
Department of Computer Science,
University of X

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
linux64 said:
The letter was in university letterhead and was signed and stamped. It was in an university envelope which had an university stamp over it.

The thing is that in the application checklist it says 'the letter must be signed by dean of college of graduate studies (or their delegates)' and my letter was signed by 'Director of graduate and admissions and records' so it should be fine. Another thing is that many of my friends got their PER with the exact attestation letter.

I guess it was officer's mistake.

Now my concern is that did my work experience also have some problems or the only problem was my attestation letter.

my submitted work experience letter is: (What is your idea about it because I am going to submit another package soon)
At this stage, they don't even bother to read your work experience letter. They just check for completeness. If they were doing so, then all those applicants who were rejected by Ottawa after waiting 1year or more , could simply receive their package returned instead of waiting 1 year to hear the same thing. I believe that the problem is with your attestation letter and who signed it. As I understand, "dean of college of graduate studies" is very different from "Director of graduate and admissions and records" or maybe the officer thinks they are different.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Parkinson said:
At this stage, they don't even bother to read your work experience letter. They just check for completeness. If they were doing so, then all those applicants who were rejected by Ottawa after waiting 1year or more , could simply receive their package returned instead of waiting 1 year to hear the same thing. I believe that the problem is with your attestation letter and who signed it. As I understand, "dean of college of graduate studies" is very different from "Director of graduate and admissions and records" or maybe the officer thinks they are different.
In my case, the attestation letter issued by the SGS then stamped by the Registrar's office.

Anna2013

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
sgtrigger said:
Hi Anna,

we had a seminar by CIC people here in Edmonton. One of my friends had the same issue and the officer confirmed that if you work for 40 hours per week, it would still count as 30 hours/week. if you work less that 30 hours/week, you can count those hours to see how many hours of work equivalent to full time you have completed.

so for example if you have worked 20 hr/week for 6 months and then 40 hr/week for 6 months and if you add that all up you would count to 30 hr/week full-time and think you have completed the requirement

however, CIC does not count it like that. They would count as 20 hrs/week for 6 months and 30 hrs/week for 6 months...
Thanks for sharing this info with us :)

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
I might be repeating a question asked in the past, but I am stuck here:

As PhD students who passed our course work, or submitted our thesis waiting to soon defend thesis, are we allowed to work full-time with an off-campus work permit?

In addition, I have to provide my work permit for an employer. But my off-campus work permit expires in summer 2014 as my study permit. I know that we can easily get our post graduate work permit after defense, and I am defending soon in 1-2 months. But it is hard to make the manager/HR believe this.

May you guys please suggest/comment your ideas on how to do this and what to tell them in order to make them relax? They now need a work permit from me.

Thanks a lot for your help.

aalm

Star Member
Jul 8, 2013
Hi all!

My application is in the E-CAS as "in process". But still haven't received any PER E-Mail.
Do they e-mail everyone or post the letter?

Thanks.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
aalm said:
Hi all!

My application is in the E-CAS as "in process". But still haven't received any PER E-Mail.
Do they e-mail everyone or post the letter?

Thanks.
They e-mail everyone, unless the email address is messing then they'll send a letter. You'll get it very soon.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
I might be repeating a question asked in the past, but I am stuck here:

As PhD students who passed our course work, or submitted our thesis waiting to soon defend thesis, are we allowed to work full-time with an off-campus work permit?

In addition, I have to provide my work permit for an employer. But my off-campus work permit expires in summer 2014 as my study permit. I know that we can easily get our post graduate work permit after defense, and I am defending soon in 1-2 months. But it is hard to make the manager/HR believe this.

May you guys please suggest/comment your ideas on how to do this and what to tell them in order to make them relax? They now need a work permit from me.

Thanks a lot for your help.
I am working on off campus work permit too and got my OHIP too on it. Its expiring soon and need to get either PR or PGWP. Anyways, show them the document from CIC website that if the status is thesis evaluation, you can work full time on off campus as this is a bridging permit before your PGWP. Also my university strongly recommends to retain the student status until the degree has been conferred or PGWP obtained. After your defense and final thesis approval, the graduate student office can generate a letter stating that all requirements have been fulfilled and you can apply for PGWP based on that. Need not wait for the convocation. Provide the HR with the letter, off campus work permit, letter from department stating official date of defence, and PER letter and any other documentation that you are almost a PR or a PR in principle.

Hope my 2 cents of advice helps.

hamed_hamed_hamed

Jan 20, 2013
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-03-2013 (Re-app)
Doc's Request.
07-08-2013 & 20-10-2013
Med's Request
06-05-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Stuck In Quebec said:
I am working on off campus work permit too and got my OHIP too on it. Its expiring soon and need to get either PR or PGWP. Anyways, show them the document from CIC website that if the status is thesis evaluation, you can work full time on off campus as this is a bridging permit before your PGWP. Also my university strongly recommends to retain the student status until the degree has been conferred or PGWP obtained. After your defense and final thesis approval, the graduate student office can generate a letter stating that all requirements have been fulfilled and you can apply for PGWP based on that. Need not wait for the convocation. Provide the HR with the letter, off campus work permit, letter from department stating official date of defence, and PER letter and any other documentation that you are almost a PR or a PR in principle.

Hope my 2 cents of advice helps.

Thanks a lot Stuck in Quebec. Very helpful. I am just wondering about one thing you said: "show them the document from CIC website that if the status is thesis evaluation, you can work full time on off campus".

I did many searches in the CIC website previously, but couldn't find such page. May you please give me a link to that page?
Thanks a lot.

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
hamed_hamed_hamed said:
Thanks a lot Stuck in Quebec. Very helpful. I am just wondering about one thing you said: "show them the document from CIC website that if the status is thesis evaluation, you can work full time on off campus".

I did many searches in the CIC website previously, but couldn't find such page. May you please give me a link to that page?
Thanks a lot.
Will try to find it and send by end of the day when I finish work.

phdsocialwork

Apr 6, 2013
This might be helpful to some of you. I received this from Ottawa today and is related to adding a spouse to the application.

Dear XXXX:

We would like to advise you that we have received your email informing us of your recent change in marital status.

Concerning your spouse:

Please note the following conditions apply if your spouse is NOT a Canadian citizen or has NOT obtained Permanent Residence status in Canada:

1. He/She must provide our office with control documents
2. He/She must undergo a medical examination. The appropriate information and forms will be sent separately.

Important:

Your spouse must undergo a medical examination regardless of whether he/she will be accompanying you to Canada.

Controlled documents required for continued processing:

· Updated IMM0008 Application for Permanent Residence in Canada to be completed by the Principal Applicant
· A completed and signed IMM5406 Additional Family Information by your spouse
· A completed and signed IMM5669 Schedule A by your spouse
· A copy of your spouse’s valid passport
· A copy of your spouse’s birth certificate
· An original police certificate for all countries your spouse has lived for more than 6 months since the age of 18 years; (for more information, consult the following link:http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp)
· A copy of your marriage certificate;
· *If applicable*- A divorce certificate for your spouse, if he/she was previously married

*The electronic version of these documents are available through the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/skilled.asp

How to add your accompanying spouse to your Permanent Resident application:

In order to add your spouse to your application for Permanent Residence, the following must be provided for this person (in addition to the control documents indicated above):

· Processing fees for your spouse if he/she will be accompanying yourself to Canada
· Four (4) recent passport-size photos. For more information, please consult the following link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/photospecs.asp
· A Quebec Selection Certificate for your spouse. For more information, please consult the following link: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/index.html

How to submit the requested documents:

All requested documents/information must be accompanied by the outgoing correspondence we have sent to you (i.e. this e-mail or a printed copy of this letter).

Police Certificates:

Please be advised that Police Certificates must be submitted as ORIGINAL documents, in their original PAPER format. We do not accept scanned copies. This document must be sent via postal or courier service to our office at the following address:

Attention: Officer
Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa
219 Laurier Avenue West
7th Floor, Section B
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1

With the exception of Police Certificates, please submit the requested documents as scanned attachments and send to the following e-mail address:
ottpilot-immigration@cic.gc.ca

Please note:

All documents must be accompanied by English or French translations.
When original documents are requested, notarised documents are not acceptable.
If you are unable to provide any or all of the requested documents/information, please explain why they are not available.

When should I contact CIC?

You must notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:

· Changes in your personal circumstances, such as birth or adoption of a child, death of a family member, a marriage or a divorce;
· Change of contact information (e-mail, mailing address, telephone number);
· Appointment or change of immigration representative or designated individual;
· Decision to withdraw your application.

Withdrawing your application:

You have the option to withdraw your application at any point in the process. You will be refunded the RPRF if you have already paid it. In order for your application to be withdrawn, it is required that written confirmation be sent to the above address.

Need more information?

For more information concerning your Application status, you may refer to the CIC Help Centre online at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/index-can.asp

Sincerely,

Case Processing Pilot - Ottawa | Centre de Traitement Pilote - Ottawa – GG06553
Citizenship and Immigration Canada | Citoyenneté et Immigration Canada
219 Laurier Avenue West Ottawa ON K1A 1L1 | 219 avenue Laurier Ouest
7th Floor | 7ème étage, Section B
Ottawa ON K1A 1L1 Canada
Facsimile | Télécopieur 613-946-6059
E-mail I Courriel : OttPilot-immigration@cic.gc.ca
Site : www.cic.gc.ca

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are the PhD stream applications processed together with the “regular” ones when they are delivered to CIO?
(There are people in the FSW thread whose applications were delivered after mine was, and their CCs have been already charged. I’m trying to estimate the chances of my application being returned)

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
vasyok said:
Are the PhD stream applications processed together with the “regular” ones when they are delivered to CIO?
(There are people in the FSW thread whose applications were delivered after mine was, and their CCs have been already charged. I'm trying to estimate the chances of my application being returned)
Yes, The Phd Stream is under the FSW class so falls in the same pile.