+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

sia_kb8

Star Member
Feb 4, 2013
asbereth said:
Ya, that hurts. If your first application goes through (which is what you want and is the best case scenario), then you will definitely lose the 1,100 (no other way around this). Once you get your visa from your first application, it's probably not a bad idea to ask them back for at least the documents (not the money though, but you should always try), but they will just as easily say that, if you're so certain that they made a mistake, why bother applying the second time :(

Hi nima2000, nobody here will be able to give you the correct answer on this one. My funding too comes from many different sources, and one of them was called international doctoral student award (those from University of Waterloo would know this), which was used to cover the tuition differential between international and local students. On my reference letter, I only included the teaching and the research portions of my funding, since these are the parts that directly relate to my research and teaching activities (all others being extra).

My suggestion to others has always been to isolate only the teaching and the research parts of your funding, and make those your source of incomes, so now, can you tell us what exactly 'Engineering Doctoral Award' compensates? Is it some external scholarship (not necessarily related to research and teaching)? Or is it dispersed specifically for you to conduct research and teaching activities?
I am kind of having a similar problem. A good chunk of salary comes from a University scholarship. If I were to not include it, it would put my income at ~18,000 per year. That way I cannot claim that many hours since my hourly wage would drop below the minimum. With the scholarship (only partly used to offset the international/domestic tuition, part of it pays me as a RA) I am claiming 32,000 per year for 32.5 per week of RA and 280 hours per year of TA. I have TA contacts as well T4s and T4As for all years that prove my point. What should I do?

I don't have any document that says what % of the scholarship directly addresses the RA work. The name is Graduate Research Scholarship.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
asbereth and N_O, thank you guys!

asbereth said:
Congrats :D Order your GCMS notes now (and once again a week after medical) to see what's really been going on with your file. If I'm not mistaken, you're the first approved case which has appealed Sydney's decision for the five adaptability points. At least we know that, if you obtain your degree in between submissions and assessment, they will award you the five adaptability points :)
Yes, will do.

I looked into immigration medical practitioners in the Bay area, and it does not look very optimistic---there is only one designated doctor in San Francisco and s/he charges $445 for medical exam, that's crazy amount of money. Oh well, I am just happy I received the medical request.

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Hi aidina,

aidina said:
I paid 1100 :(. If I withdraw my application, would they return my documents? I hope since they made the mistake, thye would be more helpful, and at least return my documents as it costs a lot to prepare them.
I actually think that if your first application gets approved you may send them an email asking to reimburse you for the second one. After all, it would be their fault to not have attached your updated work experience letter to the file. As asbereth says, it is not a standard situation but if it pans out you will have saved yourself a $1100.

Looking forward to hearing good news about your case.

-kg.jadu

unruffledterry

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-0
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
Doc's Request.
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
29-04-2014
Med's Request
07-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-10-2014
Please I have a question regarding work experience. I have work experience from my country, but in a profession which is different from the profession under which I am applying. I am a PhD law student but have 2 years work experience in banking. All my education has been in law. Can I apply under the PhD stream using my banking work experience? Thanks.

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
unruffledterry said:
Please I have a question regarding work experience. I have work experience from my country, but in a profession which is different from the profession under which I am applying. I am a PhD law student but have 2 years work experience in banking. All my education has been in law. Can I apply under the PhD stream using my banking work experience? Thanks.
You certainly could if you document your work experience in accordance with the corresponding NOC code for bankers. It would not hurt to include your work experience as a RA. You could have both the NOC codes in your schedule 3 form. Perfectly logical and valid. Hope this helps

unruffledterry

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-0
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
Doc's Request.
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
29-04-2014
Med's Request
07-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-10-2014
S_Govind said:
You certainly could if you document your work experience in accordance with the corresponding NOC code for bankers. It would not hurt to include your work experience as a RA. You could have both the NOC codes in your schedule 3 form. Perfectly logical and valid. Hope this helps
Thanks for your response. Thing is, I have no RA or TA experience. So I am relying SOLELY on my foreign work experience.

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
anjuku said:
it's still wrong :p..it's supposed to be May, not March!
Haha, one of those days!

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
N_O said:
Haha, one of those days!
No worries ;)...you guys are doing a great job with the tracker :D...it's really helping us all in anticipating things like document/MR/passport requests!

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
kg.jadu said:
asbereth and N_O, thank you guys!

Yes, will do.

I looked into immigration medical practitioners in the Bay area, and it does not look very optimistic---there is only one designated doctor in San Francisco and s/he charges $445 for medical exam, that's crazy amount of money. Oh well, I am just happy I received the medical request.
is that for one person or two?.......we did our medicals last week and it came to 168$ per person (120 for physical etc+40 for xray+8 for blood test)...so we paid 336$ for two of us...

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
Feb2004 said:
Hi N_0,
You helped me to review my experience letter. I plan to send a supplementary letter to CIC soon. The issue is that the lead statement contains the duties 'prepare and teach' , so where do I place these words, in the introduction or as one of the duties. I think these are the same tricky words equivalent to 'assist' for Research Assistants.
The lead statement for my NOC is:
4031 Secondary school teachers
Secondary school teachers prepare and teach academic, technical, vocational or specialized subjects at public and private secondary schools. Secondary school teachers who are heads of departments are included in this group.

Here's how my new letter begins:
This is to certify that ***** has worked in *****school as a Secondary School History Teacher from *** to ***. She worked thirty six hours per week and her annual gross salary was ****.

During her tenure in this school, she has performed the following duties:

Prepared and taught World History and Indian History courses to XI and XII classes based on the curriculum of the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
•Used teaching methods consisting of systematic lesson plans, discussions, audio-visual presentations, time-lines and maps. Organized field trips to historical sites, museums and book fairs.
(contains more duties***)
It looks good! In my RA reference letter it was mentioned that I assist the supervisors in analysis of results because it is one of the duties. I believe that the duties listed for your experience do indicate that you performed the actions in lead statement and a substantial number of the main duties under the NOC code you selected, However, it may better to include even those keywords of the leading statement in your reference letter.
Good Luck!

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
anjuku said:
is that for one person or two?.......we did our medicals last week and it came to 168$ per person (120 for physical etc+40 for xray+8 for blood test)...so we paid 336$ for two of us...
It's for one person. I don't have dependents on my application.

Yes, that price I very much like! :)

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
anjuku said:
No worries ;)...you guys are doing a great job with the tracker :D...it's really helping us all in anticipating things like document/MR/passport requests!
Thanks!

myriam

May 26, 2013
Thanks asbereth!
I have another doubt concerning the amount of money I should have on my bank account.. I don't have family...so should it be $11,115?
Thank you :)

chakri264

Feb 28, 2013
London, Ontario
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Citizenship
App. Filed.......
13 October 2017
Doc's Request.
None
myriam said:
Thanks asbereth!
I have another doubt concerning the amount of money I should have on my bank account.. I don't have family...so should it be $11,115?
Thank you :)
Yes, if you are the only applicant then $11,115 is true for you.