Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
gleb said:
Hello,

I tried to find any official information about this evaluation and couldn't do it.
It looks like my foreign education can be evaluated by International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS) or by World Education Services-Canada (WES) but for WES I will need to put apostilles on my documents which is a pain because I will need to go to my home-country to do it.
I will greatly appreciate if somebody can comment on this subject.

Thank you!
Sorry, the regulations are not out yet, so I don't think we can help right now.

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
hooman2012 said:
You know what? Here is so Fu... up place to study PhD. When you study PhD here every thing is against you. You can not got 5 point adaptability. You can not apply through PNP because you do not finish your study. After you finish , you can not find a job, because you are overqualified. Even if you are not Overqualified, you are not as good as a person with masters degree because he does the same job and he is younger and probably knows the job better because you spent time on study and forgot everything about industry. My Brother came to canada 2 years after me for his masters degree, After 1 year and 8 month, he finished his masters, find a job and he is now a permanent residence because he could apply by PNP. But what a bout us? at least in my case, I came to canada in 2008, And Still got nothing..................... Damn this .................
on a positive note...can't you claim your brother's 5 adaptability points??? ;D

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
hooman2012 said:
You know what? Here is so Fu... up place to study PhD. When you study PhD here every thing is against you. You can not got 5 point adaptability. You can not apply through PNP because you do not finish your study. After you finish , you can not find a job, because you are overqualified. Even if you are not Overqualified, you are not as good as a person with masters degree because he does the same job and he is younger and probably knows the job better because you spent time on study and forgot everything about industry. My Brother came to canada 2 years after me for his masters degree, After 1 year and 8 month, he finished his masters, find a job and he is now a permanent residence because he could apply by PNP. But what a bout us? at least in my case, I came to canada in 2008, And Still got nothing..................... Damn this .................
Dude, the problem here is not Canada, the problem here is PhD. It is the same everywhere. Phd is part of a exploitation system, that uses cheap and well qualified professionals to do work with the excuse that the exploited person will get a piece of paper in the end, that will grant her the right to exploit others ill-advised people.
If you want to get informed, I suggest you read the Chronicle of Higher Education.
http://chronicle.com/section/Home/5

hooman2012

Nov 12, 2012
anjuku said:
on a positive note...can't you claim your brother's 5 adaptability points??? ;D
Well yes and no, My brother is far too lucky, actually he is so lucky that he actually got some of my luck.
Not only he received his PR, he also won Green Card lottary. He is moving to US and SO, NOOO, I can not
use his 5 points. This is my bad luck.

hooman2012

Nov 12, 2012
TyrusX said:
Dude, the problem here is not Canada, the problem here is PhD. It is the same everywhere. Phd is part of a exploitation system, that uses cheap and well qualified professionals to do work with the excuse that the exploited person will get a piece of paper in the end, that will grant her the right to exploit others ill-advised people.
If you want to get informed, I suggest you read the Chronicle of Higher Education.
http://chronicle.com/section/Home/5
The problem is canada too, they must do something about the adaptability point. Because this is not fair. If you have masters degree you are more adapted to canada than the case that you are studying PhD???!!!! This is Bu... Sh... They must do something about PNP too. Because masters will finish their study in max 2 years but for us, PhD just starts, you never know when do you finish. They have to do something about this.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
hooman2012 said:
Well yes and no, My brother is far too lucky, actually he is so lucky that he actually got some of my luck.
Not only he received his PR, he also won Green Card lottary. He is moving to US and SO, NOOO, I can not
use his 5 points. This is my bad luck.
Even if he's moving to the United States, he is still currently in Canada, no? I think you should inform Ottawa as soon as possible (and also prove that he is your brother and is a PR and is CURRENTLY in Canada), so they may consider giving you an extra 5 adaptability points. I know that this would work, because phdapplicant got his application rejected by Ottawa, but they re-opened his case because one of his relatives just became a PR, and phdapplicant already got his PR now.

hooman2012

Nov 12, 2012
asbereth said:
Even if he's moving to the United States, he is still currently in Canada, no? I think you should inform Ottawa as soon as possible (and also prove that he is your brother and is a PR and is CURRENTLY in Canada), so they may consider giving you an extra 5 adaptability points. I know that this would work, because phdapplicant got his application rejected by Ottawa, but they re-opened his case because one of his relatives just became a PR, and phdapplicant already got his PR now.
I can do this, I have time till august, Actually he just got his pasport request, I have to wait till he lands. But I have till August.

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
asbereth said:
i agree with asbereth....you should give it a try...unless your brother renounced his PR which i don't think he might have done yet!

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
hooman2012 said:
I can do this, I have time till august, Actually he just got his pasport request, I have to wait till he lands. But I have till August.
Let's hope that Ottawa the slowpoke will be done with your application by August. In a month (he most probably has gotten his passport back by then), you can email Ottawa with a proof that your brother is a PR, then, at least according to what we've known so far, you may be likely awarded the 5 adaptability for having a PR sibling. Get your documents to prove that he is your brother ready.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
hooman2012 said:
The problem is canada too, they must do something about the adaptability point. Because this is not fair. If you have masters degree you are more adapted to canada than the case that you are studying PhD???!!!! This is Bu... Sh... They must do something about PNP too. Because masters will finish their study in max 2 years but for us, PhD just starts, you never know when do you finish. They have to do something about this.
Take care with the entitlement here. Be glad that you can even apply to became a resident. One of the requirements for a study visa is that we must leave the country. I know plenty of people with scholarships that can't even dream of applying because they aren't allowed to.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
TyrusX said:
Take care with the entitlement here. Be glad that you can even apply to became a resident. One of the requirements for a study visa is that we must leave the country. I know plenty of people with scholarships that can't even dream of applying because they aren't allowed to.
Another thing is, they are indeed trying to make the adaptability for previous study a bit more crystal clear. As I have shown from the amendments to Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and also the new wording from Canada Gazetta for previous study adaptability points, the requirement to 'complete' the program is no longer there, but only to complete necessary credits.

Obviously this is a good news for all who will apply after May 4, though their education will now need to re-assessed (and we're not sure how to do that just yet, but I'm assuming if you are in Canada [as is the case for pretty much every PhD student in Canadian University], this would not be hard). The net effect is, they will likely lose 2 points from education, 6 points from work experience, but gain 8 points from language, 2 points from age, and 5 points from adaptability.

AF___

Star Member
Feb 1, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-01-12
Doc's Request.
09-01-13
Med's Request
22-03-13
Med's Done....
06-04-13
Passport Req..
22-11-13
VISA ISSUED...
06-12-13
ppb12 said:
what is the minimum waiting time for medical appointment, you have found in Toronto or ottawa area. If you can share your experience. I can get april 8th earliest. Is it usual? Asbereth, AST, AF and others who are recently going though this if you could comment.
I got an appointment for the 28th. I send you the details in a pm.

geo909

Apr 13, 2012
TyrusX said:
São Paulo is as fast as Ottawa. There is only one VO faster than ottawa and it is also in SA.
It seemed he was moving back there permanently, so it is a better idea, as they will know his documents and it will be closer to send passport.

Edit: Now I see he will be back in May. So chances are It is better to apply to Ottawa.
Thanks for the feedback..

I am leaving on April 2nd and I am flying back on the 25th of May. I am from Greece, not
Brazil, I am going there to visit a university. Maybe a friend in Ottawa could pick up the
letter of attestation for me on May 1st and send the application on May 1st with next-day
shipping. Is that an option? Can somebody send the papers for you while you're out of the
country? Any downsides to that?

asbereth said:
http://www.canadianimmigration.net/immigrate-to-canada/skilled-worker-class/federal-skilled-worker.html#.UU5zW1EUdAs

For a lot of PhD students, the changes in the point system are actually more beneficial than detrimental:
1. First official language skills now give up to 24 points. If you have at least 7 in all, and 8 in listening, then you will be awarded 24 rather than 16 points under the new point system
2. Master's degree now only awards 23 rather than 25 points, but this should not be a problem for PhD students, since the changes in the structure more than make up for the 2 fewer points here.
3. Work experience matters less, though you still need to satisfy the minimum requirements of 1 continuous full-time year of work experience.
4. Adaptability points for previous study will now be awarded, even if you haven't completed the program.
5. If you are under 35, you will get 12 points for age.

The conclusion: even if you do not have any adaptability points, and only one year of work experience (continuous), provided you max out language scores (24), under 35, and have a Master's degree, you can easily go above 67 points

Language: 24
Education: 23
Work experience: 9

Total: 68

Whereas, the same applicant, under the old point system would've gotten:

Language: 16
Education: 25
Work experience: 15

Total 66

which wouldn't pass the minimum mark of 67. Not to mention the infamous adaptability points, which are not likely to be granted unless you have completed a program in Canada under the old system, but any completion of two years of PhD would automatically award points to the applicant under the new point system.

The downside: language matters more, so you may sometimes need to retake IELTS again, and also the fact that your (foreign) education will need to be evaluated.
Thanks a lot. I have been reading about it and it seems that I should be fine.
I have a master's from a canadian university, on May 1st I'll complete 2 years
of full-time phd studies, I am 28, and my IELTS scores are as follows:

Listening: 8.5
Reading: 8
Writing: 6.5
Speaking: 7.5
----------------
Overall: 7.5

I am still trying to figure out what it means that my education will be
assessed and how I can "prepare" for that.. Will I have to do something
apart from giving them my credentials?

EDIT: Without considering adaptability points (there I am a little confused),
I get 67 points from previous studies, IELTS scores, work experience, and
age, so it seems I'm fine. I just hope that there will be nothing tricky with
TAs and RAs counted as work experience, because this is the only experience
I have...

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
geo909 said:
EDIT: Without considering adaptability points (there I am a little confused),
I get 67 points from previous studies, IELTS scores, work experience, and
age, so it seems I'm fine. I just hope that there will be nothing tricky with
TAs and RAs counted as work experience, because this is the only experience
I have...
Hmmm, as of right now, without adaptability, you would have 66 points if you claim one year of work experience, and 68 if you claim 2 years of work experience. Under the new point system, you will have 23 out of 28 for language. So, without adaptability, you will have 23 + 23 + 9 + 12 = exactly 67 points.

Under the new point system, you will have 72 points because you will get adaptability (without having to prove anything, as the 5 points are granted, even if you have not yet completed the program). Under the current system, if your Canadian Master program is at least two years long, and you can easily prove it, then you will get 71, but you have to be careful here in providing all documents required to prove that the program is two years long at least, and that you already completed it. If they don't accept your previous study, then you will only have 66 points (under the current system).

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
erfan1985 said:
Nobody cares about me!! :(
at least could u forward me to the link regarding the listed duties of each profession under skilled worker's category?
I think it is not easy to answer your question. Who knows, but it is probably safer not to include those hidden work experience. I am not sure what you are exactly looking for, but if it is NOC code, this is the link:

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2011/SearchNocCode.aspx