+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

PyramidCity

Apr 23, 2012
Luigiovemma said:
Finally got my CAIPS back today. As I expected, nothing was started yet...And I did not see the "bring forward day" as some previous posts mentioned...Could it be that they changed the format of the CAIPS notes?

BTW, I was in a fast-track PhD program, so I do not have a Master degree. Initially I thought I could only have 20 points in education. Surprisingly, they gave me 25 points with a note like "20 years of education, equivalent Master's Degree".

Another note I provided reference letter from my supervisor in terms of the work experience. By the time I applied, I claim 3.5 years of RA. Although my supervisor said in the letter that I worked 37.5h/week, eventually they only gave me 1 year equivalent full-time work experience. I guess it makes sense, but just bring it up for others that we're not entitled the full-time 37.5h/week as a student.

Finally, I didn't get that 5 adaptability points for 2-year previous study in Canada either. The 5 adaptability points was from my partner's Master degree in Canada.
You mean Sydney did not give you 5 points for previous study?

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Luigiovemma said:
Finally got my CAIPS back today. As I expected, nothing was started yet...And I did not see the "bring forward day" as some previous posts mentioned...Could it be that they changed the format of the CAIPS notes?

BTW, I was in a fast-track PhD program, so I do not have a Master degree. Initially I thought I could only have 20 points in education. Surprisingly, they gave me 25 points with a note like "20 years of education, equivalent Master's Degree".
yes they changed that, its gcms notes now, look for due dates.
THey clearly made a mistake on your education. Did you really have 20 years of education? Do you have a another Masters degree at all? I find this very weird. Did you present proper documentation?

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
PyramidCity said:
You mean Sydney did not give you 5 points for previous study?
The CAPIS notes did not indicate if the eligibility review has been finalized by Ottawa or was only at Sydney level.
But yes Sydney did not give me 5 points for my previous study. It says clearly that the 5 point was given to "Spouse/Partner Master's Degree in Canada".

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
TyrusX said:
yes they changed that, its gcms notes now, look for due dates.
THey clearly made a mistake on your education. Did you really have 20 years of education? Do you have a another Masters degree at all? I find this very weird. Did you present proper documentation?
Hm...I had a 4 year bachelor's degree, then I started the fast-track PhD program right after that. By the time I applied, I was in my fifth year of the PhD program. I did not have a master degree at all. I provided my bachelor degree/transcripts, and letter of attestation from the currently university to confirmed my enrollment in the fast-track PhD program. So, years of education I have = 6 (primary) + 6 (secondary) + 4 (undergrad) + 4 (grad) = 20, is that correct?

anjuku

Mar 6, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo (now transferred to Ottawa)
NOC Code......
4011 and 4012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-04-2012
Doc's Request.
16-05-2013
Nomination.....
25-04-2012 (PER)
IELTS Request
SENT WITH APPLICATION (OVERALL BAND SCORE 8.5)
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
23-05-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
04-06-2013; Passports sent in on 22-06- 2013; Passports received by ottawa on 25-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
visas received on July 9, 2013
LANDED..........
July 10, 2013
Luigiovemma said:

Another note I provided reference letter from my supervisor in terms of the work experience. By the time I applied, I claim 3.5 years of RA. Although my supervisor said in the letter that I worked 37.5h/week, eventually they only gave me 1 year equivalent full-time work experience. I guess it makes sense, but just bring it up for others that we're not entitled the full-time 37.5h/week as a student.

Finally, I didn't get that 5 adaptability points for 2-year previous study in Canada either. The 5 adaptability points was from my partner's Master degree in Canada.

I find this very interesting...becos i claimed 40hrs/week RA/TA for two years and i got credited the 17 points as per CAIPS...seems it's very random

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Luigiovemma said:
Hm...I had a 4 year bachelor's degree, then I started the fast-track PhD program right after that. By the time I applied, I was in my fifth year of the PhD program. I did not have a master degree at all. I provided my bachelor degree/transcripts, and letter of attestation from the currently university to confirmed my enrollment in the fast-track PhD program. So, years of education I have = 6 (primary) + 6 (secondary) + 4 (undergrad) + 4 (grad) = 20, is that correct?
they should not count the years you are doing your phd, because you haven't graduated yet. So they either made a mistake in your favor or they thought that you were about to graduate and gave you those points Anyways.

Luigiovemma

Star Member
Mar 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-20-2013
Nomination.....
03-05-2014
AOR Received.
04-30-2014
Med's Request
04-30-2014
TyrusX said:
they should not count the years you are doing your phd, because you haven't graduated yet. So they either made a mistake in your favor or they thought that you were about to graduate and gave you those points Anyways.
I don't know. I wasn't expect that anyways. But now I'm officially done. I was thinking about letting them know but I'm not sure if it will count since this happened after I submitted my application. I plan to submit it along with other documents they may request from me (like the bank history, etc.) but they haven't contacted me yet.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Luigiovemma said:
I don't know. I wasn't expect that anyways. But now I'm officially done. I was thinking about letting them know but I'm not sure if it will count since this happened after I submitted my application. I plan to submit it along with other documents they may request from me (like the bank history, etc.) but they haven't contacted me yet.
If you are done, you have to let them know. They are probably aware of this, as they probably call our schools to see our status.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
Houra said:
Oh yes I sure did, they deducted $1100 from my credit card. But his name is not on the PER letter.
Number of people in the application = 2;
I added my spouse as a dependent in the Generic Application form.
will accompany you to Canada = yes
filled all scheduleA and family information form for both
Sent all documents for both (birth cert, degrees, transcripts, employment history, Bank statement, etc...)
Was there anything else I'm missing?
I think it should be fine. When you appeal, be sure to include copies of everything (your application, marriage certificate, etc). The OHIP decision letter will need to contain both your and your spouse's names so that you both can get OHIP coverage.

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
Hey guys , I have a question. I am going to transfer some money to my bank account so I can meet the minimum requirement for funds and then apply for the stream . It is my own money and my family is going to send it to my account. someone told me that I should have enough money in my bank account from the time I apply to when I land. Now the question is that when approximately are they going to ask for account history and the proof of available funds for the past 6 months? My concern is that say I have the money in my account today and I apply for the stream one month from now and then after 4 months from application they ask for the bank history.In that case what would happen? or do they only care about the funds after the application time?

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
absolute_boy97 said:
Hey guys , I have a question. I am going to transfer some money to my bank account so I can meet the minimum requirement for funds and then apply for the stream . It is my own money and my family is going to send it to my account. someone told me that I should have enough money in my bank account from the time I apply to when I land. Now the question is that when approximately are they going to ask for account history and the proof of available funds for the past 6 months? My concern is that say I have the money in my account today and I apply for the stream one month from now and then after 4 months from application they ask for the bank history.In that case what would happen? or do they only care about the funds after the application time?
The problem is, based on several cases we've seen so far, if you apply right now without any bank statement history, then most likely they will immediately ask for bank statement history several weeks after PER. So you never know, they could ask, say, in 3 months time, then your bank balance would be less than the threshold for three months and they will see the deposits to your bank account three months ago.

The best is to transfer now, wait 6.5 months, then send the application along with bank statement + 6 months history, which shows that the money has been there for over 6 months, and no large deposits can be spotted within these 6 months. But obviously, by June, the cap could've been reached, and by next year, they could've cancelled the PhD stream (God forbid), so it's hard to say really. If you have a bank statement under your name in your home country, which has more than the required threshold for over 6 months, it's probably best to use that (and not touch the money until you get your PR), and apply now.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/03/01/kelly-mcparland-jason-kenneys-quiet-revolution-is-remaking-canada/

absolute_boy97

Star Member
Feb 14, 2013
asbereth said:
The problem is, based on several cases we've seen so far, if you apply right now without any bank statement history, then most likely they will immediately ask for bank statement history several weeks after PER. So you never know, they could ask, say, in 3 months time, then your bank balance would be less than the threshold for three months and they will see the deposits to your bank account three months ago.

The best is to transfer now, wait 6.5 months, then send the application along with bank statement + 6 months history, which shows that the money has been there for over 6 months, and no large deposits can be spotted within these 6 months. But obviously, by June, the cap could've been reached, and by next year, they could've cancelled the PhD stream (God forbid), so it's hard to say really. If you have a bank statement under your name in your home country, which has more than the required threshold for over 6 months, it's probably best to use that (and not touch the money until you get your PR), and apply now.
Thanks. I cant declare my home country account because it was not under my name. :( so are you saying that if I apply one month from now they will definitly ask for the bank statement prior to 6 months from now and then my application will get rejected?! :( is there anybody who has had tranferred money to bank account about 1 month before they applied and not get rejected? ? is there anyone who was asked for bank statement a bit later so they dont have this problem? :(