+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

mib26

Jun 21, 2012
asbereth said:
mib26, don't lose hope yet. The reason why, I think, the report did not show TyrusX as having the 5 adaptability points was I think because Sydney never awarded him (and all other applicants before April '12 if I'm not mistaken) to begin with.

If you (or anybody that has successfully appealed CIO's decision), however, ordered your CAIPS, I am sure the report will show more than 67 points, with the adaptability points awarded as well (since you wouldn't have gotten PER if the CIO did not think you could pass the 67 point threshold). The question is, how Ottawa will deal with the 5 points that got awarded by Sydney, since we have not had anybody in this situation yet. Though it's a slim chance, let's keep hoping for the best (in the mean time, you can probably start preparing documents for a new application).
Thanks for the comforting. Let's see what's gonna happen. :) It's been a truly tough year for me (both immigration and academic).

mib26

Jun 21, 2012
beh467 said:
Also, you can take a new IELTS exam and update your application. If you get the full language score (16) you won't need adabtability points.
my IELTS is 16pts. but i have only TA/RA as working experience. so the 5pts from adaptability is crucial for me.
without the 5pts i will be less than 67pts.

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
I got my application returned on Nov. And I'm updating on the form planning to resend it before Christmas. I found I'm not quite sure about how to fill "IMM 5669-Schedule A background/declaration".

For question 8 & 12, do we need to provide all the information even for several days of vocations? and put the hotel address accordingly for Question 12? Or it's only necessary to put where we really live for at least several months?

Could you please let me know how you fill these two questions, I wanna really try my best avoiding being returned again.
Thanks a lot.

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
HI everyone,

I have another question, do we have to provide true copies for every single page of passport with stamps and/or visa? or only provide the page with name/issue data/place/expire date and the page with Canadian entry visa?

Thanks.

New13

Dec 7, 2012
mib26 said:
my IELTS is 16pts. but i have only TA/RA as working experience. so the 5pts from adaptability is crucial for me.
without the 5pts i will be less than 67pts.
Hi Mib26, Was your TA/RA experience considered as full time job? How many working hours per week did you get? I still did not get my verification from HR. If they are not considering it at 37.5 hours per week (I think this is the condition cic is using for a job to be full time, correct me please if I'm wrong), I'm going to have same problem like you (I've only 1 point short to be 67).

Thanks.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
How come they will give adaptability points next year for two years of study ?

Dani1982 said:
you might be eligible to get these adaptability points next year when the new regulation is going to be effective

Dani1982

Star Member
Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Nomination.....
26-09-2012
indusvision said:
How come they will give adaptability points next year for two years of study ?
New regulation's proposal :
http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2012-08-18/html/reg2-eng.html

it states that:
" To be awarded points for their previous study in Canada, the applicant or accompanying spouse would need to have obtained, studying full time in a program of at least a two-year duration, the necessary credits to successfully complete two years of study. For the purposes of adaptability, secondary school will be accepted as an eligible program of study."

The new regulation does not say anything about the completion of the program, only completing tow years of study. Again this is ambiguous, but there is a little hope.

mib26

Jun 21, 2012
New13 said:
Hi Mib26, Was your TA/RA experience considered as full time job? How many working hours per week did you get? I still did not get my verification from HR. If they are not considering it at 37.5 hours per week (I think this is the condition cic is using for a job to be full time, correct me please if I'm wrong), I'm going to have same problem like you (I've only 1 point short to be 67).

Thanks.

Hi New13, i believe you are in the same situation like me: 2 years PhD study, also 2 years TA/RA experience, 16pts for language, single, no relatives in Canada. so that's 66pts.
unless cic awards you 5pts for adaptability, you may fall into the same problem as i did.

as a graduate student, our TA/RA is not considered as a "full-time" job.
no matter how many hours you are working per week (legally and normally it is 37.5hrs/week), it only counts as half.

so unless your TA/RA experience is longer than 4 years (37.5hrs/week)
OR
you have been working before as a "full-time" worker longer than 2 years, you might have the problem to gain enough "Working Experience" points.

better suggestion is to wait till you see someone like me pass cic's process
OR
wait till next year (i don't know the exact time) the new regulation/rule takes into effect, which will give a great chance to award you 5pts for adaptability.

New13

Dec 7, 2012
mib26 said:
Hi New13, i believe you are in the same situation like me: 2 years PhD study, also 2 years TA/RA experience, 16pts for language, single, no relatives in Canada. so that's 66pts.
unless cic awards you 5pts for adaptability, you may fall into the same problem as i did.

as a graduate student, our TA/RA is not considered as a "full-time" job.
no matter how many hours you are working per week (legally and normally it is 37.5hrs/week), it only counts as half.

so unless your TA/RA experience is longer than 4 years (37.5hrs/week)
OR
you have been working before as a "full-time" worker longer than 2 years, you might have the problem to gain enough "Working Experience" points.

better suggestion is to wait till you see someone like me pass cic's process
OR
wait till next year (i don't know the exact time) the new regulation/rule takes into effect, which will give a great chance to award you 5pts for adaptability.
Thanks, Mib26. When did you apply? Are you expecting to hear from them soon? Some people are saying that if your credit card is charged then it is more likely that you are eligible. Is there also cases like where CC is charged but the application is finally marked as not eligible?

mib26

Jun 21, 2012
New13 said:
Thanks, Mib26. When did you apply? Are you expecting to hear from them soon? Some people are saying that if your credit card is charged then it is more likely that you are eligible. Is there also cases like where CC is charged but the application is finally marked as not eligible?

cc charged means you passed CIO in Sydney, not CPP in Ottwa.
i believe you are new in this forum as months ago several friends in this forum had been rejected by CIO in Sydney due to not being awarded 5pts from adaptability. after appealing, they finally had the adaptability 5pts.

however, after the cases went into CPP in Ottwa, things changed a lot.
based on the situation we have got so far, CPP in Ottwa is not that generous to give you 5pts for adaptability, which means you will be rejected if you really count on that 5pts, and it will be the final decision.

please refer to the tracker made by TyrusX: Immigration tracker - PhD stream: http://bit.ly/tpvdZa

websphereguy

Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17 Jan 2014
Doc's Request.
send altogether during filing
Nomination.....
17 Apr 2014
Med's Request
23 Jun 2014
Med's Done....
02 Oct 2014
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
08 Apr 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 Apr 2015
LANDED..........
02 May 2015
Dani1982 said:
New regulation's proposal :
http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2012/2012-08-18/html/reg2-eng.html

it states that:
" To be awarded points for their previous study in Canada, the applicant or accompanying spouse would need to have obtained, studying full time in a program of at least a two-year duration, the necessary credits to successfully complete two years of study. For the purposes of adaptability, secondary school will be accepted as an eligible program of study."

The new regulation does not say anything about the completion of the program, only completing tow years of study. Again this is ambiguous, but there is a little hope.
Dani,

Like I said, stay tune to the site, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/index.asp
They will definitely update it with a more detailed writing on the new changes. My bet is that if there's any form of language which would clear the air on this ambiguous statement, it would definitely be found in their operation guidelines. The latest one right now is dated on 18th for another matter. You probably would expect a follow up to the announcement on the new FSWP soon.

ojohn22

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Police cert-20-05-2015
Nomination.....
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
04-03-2015
Med's Request
20-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015(uploaded on 24-06)
Interview........
3rd Line Update-30-06-2015
Passport Req..
10-12-2015;PP Arrived CIC-15-12-2015; return tracker activated: 31/12/2015
VISA ISSUED...
RCVD PP-05/01/16 (8:30 pm NL time) Visa Issu 17/12/2015
LANDED..........
Jan. 15. 2016 (local CIC office); PR Card recvd- about 16/02/2016
websphereguy said:
Dani,

Like I said, stay tune to the site, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2012/index.asp
They will definitely update it with a more detailed writing on the new changes. My bet is that if there's any form of language which would clear the air on this ambiguous statement, it would definitely be found in their operation guidelines. The latest one right now is dated on 18th for another matter. You probably would expect a follow up to the announcement on the new FSWP soon.
This new Regulation has made it clear that RA/TA will no longer count for us as work experience.

indusvision

Sep 8, 2008
If TA and RA work experience is obtained with proper authorization ( such as working on campus full time on study permit) , and paid, then it is recognized in Canada. Infact that's why there have a noc for TA and RA .
Otherwise why they would have a noc category for that?

ojohn22 said:
This new Regulation has made it clear that RA/TA will no longer count for us as work experience.

asbereth

Feb 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012<br>PR Fee Charged: 05-03-2012<br>PER Received..: 21-03-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013<br>In process.....: 21-03-2013
Med's Request
22-03-2013
Med's Done....
26-03-2013 <br>Med's Received: 15-04-2013 <br>Decision Made: 15-04-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013 <br>COPR ISSUED..: 15-05-2013<br>VISA RECEIVED: 16-05-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
indusvision said:
If TA and RA work experience is obtained with proper authorization ( such as working on campus full time on study permit) , and paid, then it is recognized in Canada. Infact that's why there have a noc for TA and RA .
Otherwise why they would have a noc category for that?
What ojohn22 was referring to would be the new regulation for CEC. They have made a proposition that any Canadian work experience gained while also doing full-time studies in Canada will not count. But then again, this is only for CEC. I don't think we have heard anything about FSW yet.

sallay

Oct 7, 2012
Hi guys,

I received my English test score recently. I would like to start my application after Christmas. But I feel there is too much information about application, and I am afraid that I am very confused.

Is there any package which has guidance for application (like what kind of supporting materials should I prepare) and application procedure (like which office should I contact). If someone has these materials, could you please provide them to me? I am very sorry that maybe I missed some information in the previous threads.

Thank you very much for your help ;D