+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
It seems that those 5 points can only be awarded to PhD students who had their Master in Canada. Previously, if you graduated from a Master program (in Canada) and enrolled in a PhD program right away, you wouldn't be able to apply for PR. But with the new PhD Stream, you can.
But I doubt that it's their true intention.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
phdapplicant said:
It seems that those 5 points can only be awarded to PhD students who had their Master in Canada. Previously, if you graduated from a Master program (in Canada) and enrolled in a PhD program right away, you wouldn't be able to apply for PR. But with the new PhD Stream, you can.
But I doubt that it's their true intention.
IMHO, we've been selected to apply only after two years in our Phd Because of two reasons:
1) Give us the chance to acquire an year of work experience via RA/TA.
2) Give us those 5 five points of adaptability due to being two years in Canada

I'm sure most single people with only 2 years of work experience will be very close to not having enough points. Ain't I right?

salam20

Jun 29, 2012
LANDED..........
salam20 said:
I hope that 5 points of the two years of study under the adaptability, is to be discussed with an immigration ministry in order to get them added to all of us by laws. I am in SK I am going to send the minister in SK this appeal, immediately.
Here is a draft, please review and let me know your concerns.

Good Morning,

I would like to raise a flag on an issue that discomfort a group of people who are applying for Permanent Resident under the Foreign Skilled Worker Program in the PhD category. This group of people spent at least two years of full time education in Canada on a valid study permit towards their PhD study program with good academic standing. The group believes that they are well adapted for living in Canada and understand the Canadian culture as they spent two years or more in Canada. Their concern is related to the understanding of eligibility points calculations. Mainly, the 5 adaptability points of spending two years in study on a valid study permit in Canada. It is mentioned and explained under Adaptability criteria in the Guide 7000 - Application for permanent residence: Federal skilled worker class (IMM 7000), as follows:

"Previous study in Canada:

You or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner studied at a post-secondary institution in Canada for at least two years on a full-time basis. This must have been done after the age of 17 and with a valid study permit."

And was explained better in Operation Manual OP 6B Federal Skilled Workers - Applications received on or after June 26, 2010

• Award five points if the applicant or accompanying spouse or common- law partner completed a program of full-time study of at least two years' duration at a post-secondary institution in Canada, if this occurred after the age of seventeen and with valid study permits.
(The person is not required to have obtained an educational credential for these two years of study in Canada to earn the points, but simply to have completed at least two years of study.)"

However, the question that is mentioned in the application package in form Schedule 3 - Economic Classes IMM0008_e

"Have you or, if applicable, your accompanying spouse or common-law partner, previously completed a program of full-time study of at least two years at a post-secondary institution in Canada?"
They want to claim the 5 points as they spent two years, however, they did not complete their PhD program yet. They would like to understand how they can answer this question in order to claim the 5 points.

Thanks,

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
mcknight0219 said:
It seems so by far. Since you are to graduate in a few month, why not wait until you get
a degree and then apply?
Then I may need to wait until the end of this year. It seems a long waiting time for me. I have work experience other than RA, hope I can have enough points even without that 5.

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even in the self-assessment test it asks the following question:

Principal Applicant or Spouse / Common-Law Partner has studied in Canada

* No, or has less than two years post-secondary education in Canada
* Completed at least two years of post-secondary education in Canada since the age of 17

which all of us have completed at least two years of post-secondary education in Canada!

MapleDream

Feb 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15 Dec 2011
salam20 said:

Good Morning,

I would like to raise a flag on an issue that discomfort a group of people who are applying for Permanent Resident under the Foreign Skilled Worker Program in the PhD category. This group of people spent at least two years of full time education in Canada on a valid study permit towards their PhD study program with good academic standing. The group believes that they are well adapted for living in Canada and understand the Canadian culture as they spent two years or more in Canada. Their concern is related to the understanding of eligibility points calculations. Mainly, the 5 adaptability points of spending two years in study on a valid study permit in Canada. It is mentioned and explained under Adaptability criteria in the Guide 7000 - Application for permanent residence: Federal skilled worker class (IMM 7000), as follows:

You or your accompanying spouse or common-law partner studied at a post-secondary institution in Canada for at least two years on a full-time basis. This must have been done after the age of 17 and with a valid study permit."

And was explained better in Operation Manual OP 6B Federal Skilled Workers - Applications received on or after June 26, 2010

• Award five points if the applicant or accompanying spouse or common- law partner completed a program of full-time study of at least two years' duration at a post-secondary institution in Canada, if this occurred after the age of seventeen and with valid study permits.
(The person is not required to have obtained an educational credential for these two years of study in Canada to earn the points, but simply to have completed at least two years of study.)"

However, the question that is mentioned in the application package in form Schedule 3 - Economic Classes IMM0008_e

"Have you or, if applicable, your accompanying spouse or common-law partner, previously completed a program of full-time study of at least two years at a post-secondary institution in Canada?"
They want to claim the 5 points as they spent two years, however, they did not complete their PhD program yet. They would like to understand how they can answer this question in order to claim the 5 points.

Thanks,
Your statements are very good logically and reasonably. Additionally, we may tell them that the CIC awarded us the 5 adaptability points, but CPP not. For us, CIC and CPP are the same immigration department of Canada, they can't apply double standards to us in one system.

ojohn22

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-12-2014
Doc's Request.
Police cert-20-05-2015
Nomination.....
18-02-2015
File Transfer...
04-03-2015
Med's Request
20-05-2015
Med's Done....
26-05-2015(uploaded on 24-06)
Interview........
3rd Line Update-30-06-2015
Passport Req..
10-12-2015;PP Arrived CIC-15-12-2015; return tracker activated: 31/12/2015
VISA ISSUED...
RCVD PP-05/01/16 (8:30 pm NL time) Visa Issu 17/12/2015
LANDED..........
Jan. 15. 2016 (local CIC office); PR Card recvd- about 16/02/2016
salam20 said:

Good Morning,

Thanks,
In my own opinion and arguing objectively, I think the statement meant the Program(whatever it is, PhD, Msc, Diploma) must be for at least 2 years' duration. So 'complete' operates on 'program' and not 'duration' nor how long one has spent studying. This is exactly what you said in your last statement ...'claim the 5 points as they spent two years, however, they did not complete their PhD program yet'. Therefore, being in-program disqualifies us from this benefit regardless of spending more than 2 years in the PhD program(sucks though!).
However, I believe the CIC's objective (their intention) of the clause is to award such points for people who have been studying for at least 2 years.

Therefore according to the CIC's statement, they mean an applicant must have fulfilled conditions of COMPLETION of a PROGRAM that lasts for at least 2 years e.g submitted thesis and awaiting graduation or passed all courses but awaiting degree award.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
ojohn22 said:
In my own opinion and arguing objectively, I think the statement meant the Program(whatever it is, PhD, Msc, Diploma) must be for at least 2 years' duration. So 'complete' operates on 'program' and not 'duration' nor how long one has spent studying. This is exactly what you said in your last statement ...'claim the 5 points as they spent two years, however, they did not complete their PhD program yet'. Therefore, being in-program disqualifies us from this benefit regardless of spending more than 2 years in the PhD program(sucks though!).
However, I believe the CIC's objective (their intention) of the clause is to award such points for people who have been studying for at least 2 years.

Therefore according to the CIC's statement, they mean an applicant must have fulfilled conditions of COMPLETION of a PROGRAM that lasts for at least 2 years e.g submitted thesis and awaiting graduation or passed all courses but awaiting degree award.
Very well explained my friend. While this is still open to interpretation, FUTURE applicants should be aware that this points will probably not be awarded to us.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
TRT_Flynn said:
Another silent week...
Nops. We go one medical request on Tuesday. Next one will be in 2 weeks or more. :(

kg.jadu

Star Member
Apr 25, 2012
Just wondering... Is there any way to slow down the processing of the application before you get any request for the documents? In view of these adaptability points business, it would be nice to have the processing of my application delayed till January because by then I will have completed my PhD degree.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
kg.jadu said:
Just wondering... Is there any way to slow down the processing of the application before you get any request for the documents? In view of these adaptability points business, it would be nice to have the processing of my application delayed till January because by then I will have completed my PhD degree.
I suppose you can ask them to put your application on hold? All they need to do is change your BF"D for 6 months

TaylorWang

Jun 19, 2012
Hi Guys,

I am new here and plan to apply through this PhD stream soon. And I have a question regarding to the certification of my highest education background. I got my master in China.

According to the checklist IMM5612, for my situation, I have to apply for verification of the highest post-secondary degree(s)/diploma(s) that were obtained in the People’s Republic of China (PRC) through an institution named CADGEDC.
However, from the instruction guide (cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp#eg73) ,
in the Step 1: Gather documents, it has a specific note:
"Note. If your visa office is Beijing or Hong Kong, you must also apply for verification of the highest post-secondary degree(s)/diploma(s) that were obtained in the People’s Republic of China (PRC). If you and your spouse or common-law partner did not obtain post-secondary degree(s)/diploma(s) in the PRC, you do not need to submit CADGEDC creentials report(s) with your application. Please refer to the Document Checklist (IMM 5612) for more information."
This means the verification is required only if I apply through visa offices in China. And if I apply through Sydney, I can save my time and money. Right?

More interestingly, when I searched the visa office list for FSW (cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp),
I found this
Applicants for Permanent Residence
You must select the visa office that serves your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year.

All new Economic Class applications must first be mailed to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.

I assume this means I can and only can apply through CIO-Sydney because FSW belongs to economic class, and I don't need to get the verification of my degree in China according to the guide. Am I right? But if I see the checklist IMM5612 only, it seems I still need the verification. Do I need to apply the verification or not? Does any Chinese applicant have some ideas about this? Thank you very much for any reply.

mapleisland

Star Member
Jun 25, 2012
TaylorWang said:
Hi Guys,

I am new here and plan to apply through this PhD stream soon. And I have a question regarding to the certification of my highest education background. I got my master in China.

According to the checklist IMM5612, for my situation, I have to apply for verification of the highest post-secondary degree(s)/diploma(s) that were obtained in the People's Republic of China (PRC) through an institution named CADGEDC.
However, from the instruction guide (cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp#eg73) ,
in the Step 1: Gather documents, it has a specific note:
"Note. If your visa office is Beijing or Hong Kong, you must also apply for verification of the highest post-secondary degree(s)/diploma(s) that were obtained in the People's Republic of China (PRC). If you and your spouse or common-law partner did not obtain post-secondary degree(s)/diploma(s) in the PRC, you do not need to submit CADGEDC creentials report(s) with your application. Please refer to the Document Checklist (IMM 5612) for more information."
This means the verification is required only if I apply through visa offices in China. And if I apply through Sydney, I can save my time and money. Right?

More interestingly, when I searched the visa office list for FSW (cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/apply-where.asp),
I found this
Applicants for Permanent Residence
You must select the visa office that serves your country of nationality or the country where you have been legally admitted for at least one year.

All new Economic Class applications must first be mailed to the Centralized Intake Office in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.

I assume this means I can and only can apply through CIO-Sydney because FSW belongs to economic class, and I don't need to get the verification of my degree in China according to the guide. Am I right? But if I see the checklist IMM5612 only, it seems I still need the verification. Do I need to apply the verification or not? Does any Chinese applicant have some ideas about this? Thank you very much for any reply.
I have the same question posted, and I got the reply that I have to provide the verification. You can search the posts several pages before fordetails. And as far as I know, Sidney is not a Visa Office, so you need to determine the visa office to review your application, you have the options: HongKong, Beijing , CPP-O if you've stayed in Canada for 1+yr.

EH2010

Jun 14, 2012
Hi everyone,

I applied through the Phd stream in November 17th. Ottawa asked me for a reference letter in the early June from my employer (university), including job duties, hours worked and salary. I provided the letter one week later and recentely (early July) Ottawa requested for an evidence of funds and account activity for the past six months. I guess that they asked me the reference letter to check my eligibility and after proving that I receive the second request.
I provided them four years work-experience (two years from my country+two years RA+TA). I got 12/16 as the English proficiency score. Also, I am single (no more points)..
It seems that Ottawa is much more tough compare to Sydney in assigning points to the applicants.

Good Luck