+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

Jubayer

Jul 5, 2012
Hi,

I have sent my application on June 22 2012 and it reached Sydney office on June 25 2012. I haven't heard anything back and also my credit card has not been charged yet. Moreover, number of application received in PhD category hasn't been updated since May 29. What's going on in Sydney?

Jubayer

mib26

Jun 21, 2012
asbereth said:
The silence has been deafening. I've heard that some late February CEC applicants have already gotten their PR by now. The non-uniformity in processing speed sometimes makes it harder for me to appreciate how much faster the process has gotten compared to pre-08 (pre-MI) applications, which most of the times, took more than 3 years. All the same, the whole thing has been driving me crazy, and at this rate, I may need to seek some depression counseling soon.

Anyway, regarding the 5 adaptability previous study points, the wording in both the website and the instruction guide is that the person need not obtain an educational credential to be awarded these 5 points. I was thinking that, if somebody has completed a program, but yet still to convocate, then that person would have, at that point of time, received the educational credential pertaining to obtaining that degree, even though the official ceremony is yet to occur. For example, if you complete your PhD on March, and are yet to convocate in June, you're qualified to take a post-doc job (or any job that requires the PhD you have just completed), say, in April, despite the fact that you're still two months away before officially 'obtaining' the degree.

What I'm trying to say, it doesn't make any sense for the wording 'not required to have obtained an educational credential' if what they meant was people in the situation that I just described, because these people would have obtained their 'educational credential' anyway by the time they complete their degrees, regardless whether or not they have convocated.
Probably, I am afraid there is no body in CPP possessing a Ph.D. degree, which suggests they have no idea how difficult to pursue a Ph.D. :p That's why they don't give us 5 pts for adaptability. ;D

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Brit_Immigrant said:
No news from Meteor 2012? Should be the next in line for some news about now.
NO. I sent him two messages, no reply.

phdapplicant

Star Member
Nov 21, 2011
mib26 said:
Probably, I am afraid there is no body in CPP possessing a Ph.D. degree, which suggests they have no idea how difficult to pursue a Ph.D. :p That's why they don't give us 5 pts for adaptability. ;D
The worst-case scenario is that all of them are PhD dropout ;D

jotgrewal

Jan 8, 2011
Canada
Some links to the PR Application Inventory details at CIC

1. Permanent Resident Applications Processed Abroad and Processing Times - English Version

http://www.data.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=5175A6F0-1&xsl=datacataloguerecord&metaxsl=datacataloguerecord&formid=427337D0-7C36-4FED-8428-C6A63F8C19B3

2. Overseas Permanent Resident Inventory - English Version

http://www.data.gc.ca/default.asp?lang=En&n=5175A6F0-1&xsl=datacataloguerecord&metaxsl=datacataloguerecord&formid=B6F7C54E-EF4B-4EC1-8DDE-7315E97D18EB

Cutty

Jun 13, 2012
Hi guys,

Could someone (especially those who got their NER overturned to PER by CIC Sydney after appeal) help me with the email, fax no and mailing address to send an appeal to the CIC office Sydney.

Thanks

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Cutty said:
Hi guys,

Could someone (especially those who got their NER overturned to PER by CIC Sydney after appeal) help me with the email, fax no and mailing address to send an appeal to the CIC office Sydney.

Thanks
Can you post the reason of you rejection?

a_nashed

Star Member
May 12, 2012
jotgrewal said:
Some links to the PR Application Inventory details at CIC

1. Permanent Resident Applications Processed Abroad and Processing Times - English Version

2. Overseas Permanent Resident Inventory - English Version
Hi

as a PhD applicants, are we considered as FSW - IM3?

Thanks

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
a_nashed said:
Hi

as a PhD applicants, are we considered as FSW - IM3?

Thanks
MI-4. No information there for us yet.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
Cutty said:
For not including a letter from my supervisor stating "my main duties as an RA/TA".
You should see if you can appeal, as I don't remember seeing a case like this before. Maybe best case scenario is
just to reapply ASAP.

Cutty

Jun 13, 2012
TyrusX said:
You should see if you can appeal, as I don't remember seeing a case like this before. Maybe best case scenario is
just to reapply ASAP.
Thanks.

I understood some applicants who similarly omitted letters of reference from their work or so were requested to re-submit such letter or at least got their package and refund back.

Also, from the sample refusal letters at the Appendix of OP-6B, the first sample letter (Sample A) for not meeting "the minimal requirements " was exactly the NER letter I got but they didn't say anything about refunding my fee as contained/suggested in that letter. You may check my previous posts to see a copy of my NER letter.

So, I decided to use a two-prong approach in my appeal by
1) submitting an appeal letter together with a reference letter from my supervisor detailing my main duties as an RA & TA, hoping they will reconsider my case
2) request for clarification on why my my payment wasn't refunded contrary to sub-section 8.1 of OP-6B, thereby asking for a refund (as contained in the similar OP-6B Sample A -Refusal Letter) if my appeal is not granted

I considered re-applying, but am still concerned about Ottawa's refusal to award the 5 adaptability points for having completed two years of study in Canada though CIC did same after the affected applicants appealed, which boils down to my case.

Cutty

Jun 13, 2012
Hi guys,

Could someone (especially those who got their NER overturned to PER by CIC Sydney after appeal) please help me with the email, fax no and mailing address to send an appeal to the CIC office Sydney.

Thanks

zephyr86

Jul 8, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

Please see the following note in CIC website:

"Note: The province of Quebec is responsible for selecting its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information."

I know that it's talking about the skill worker category in general, but I thought to me that PhD students still fall into this category. I just wanna make sure if I can apply for that or not.

Do you already know any PhD student at a Quebec university who's applied for that? What happened then?

Thanks.

asbereth said:
Hi zephyr86, this is probably an ignorant question, but can you tell us where you got this from? I checked the CIC website, and at face value, could not seem to find anything about Quebec mentioned.

Well, it's certainly safer to use the template, but I think the reason why they decided to put the template there was because there were so early applicants that did not have the 'good academic standing' part on their letter, and that could be why they provided it so that people know exactly what they need on the letters. I find it hard to believe though that they would reject perfectly eligible applications (which have everything they asked for on the letters of attestation) just because they did not use the template for the letter. It is however still NOT the recommended course of action as the CIC seems to find every reason to reject applications these days.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
sent with application
zephyr86 said:
Thanks for the reply.

Please see the following note in CIC website:

"Note: The province of Quebec is responsible for selecting its own skilled workers. If you plan on living in Quebec, see Quebec-selected skilled workers for more information."

I know that it's talking about the skill worker category in general, but I thought to me that PhD students still fall into this category. I just wanna make sure if I can apply for that or not.

Do you already know any PhD student at a Quebec university who's applied for that? What happened then?

Thanks.
I think that PhD Students in Quebec cannot apply for this stream. But, and I maybe wrong, I think there is a similar stream in Quebec.