+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

mamali

Nov 12, 2013
Hi All,
I want to mail my documents and appreciate of you answer my previous post.

Just another quick question. I started my third year of PhD and I have the RA and TA letter as work experience. Could you please tel me the answere for question 9 in schedule 3? Is that Yes or No?
My friend told me because I do not have the work permit I have to check No! So where should I put my RA and TA letters?

Thank you very much

mehroonir

Star Member
Jul 16, 2012
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
aidina said:
Congrat. When was your new due date? Could you estimate when your security started based on your CAIPS?
Thank you Hamed,Beh, and Aidina!

I don't know about my last due date because I did not order GCMS anymore. In my last GCMS which was issued in August 28, my due date was October 28.

Based on what I see on my second GCMS (it was hidden in the third one), under 'Application', my security must have started on April 9 (however, in the note it says it was 'not started' on this day, but I guess it means it was started!). We received our medical request on March 29 and did it on March 30.

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
mamali said:
Hi All,
I want to mail my documents and appreciate of you answer my previous post.

Just another quick question. I started my third year of PhD and I have the RA and TA letter as work experience. Could you please tel me the answere for question 9 in schedule 3? Is that Yes or No?
My friend told me because I do not have the work permit I have to check No! So where should I put my RA and TA letters?

Thank you very much
I answered 4 NO, and 9 YES (it does not ask if this work experience is under a valid work permit). You put the RA/TA in 12. However, they will not give you any adaptability point for your RA/TA.

jeffrey2012

Nov 22, 2013
they think you are not eligible for awarding the 5 points.

did you argure that they should refer to OP 6c instead of OP 6b if you applied after May. 4, 2013?

PhdStream said:
Guys I've something to share with you. On Nov 1, 2013, i emailed CPP-O (at OttPilot-immigration @ cic.gc.ca) regarding 5 points (adaptability factor) for completion of 2 years of PhD study. My email was as below:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this email in regards to application for Canadian permanent resident under "Federal Skill Worker - Category 3 (as a PhD Student). I am a PhD student at the University of XXX, for last 3 years (full-time student since September 2010). As I have completed more than 2 years of full-time study but have yet completed my program, will I be eligible to get 5 points under selection "Adaptability" factor. I did go through to the FSW guide in your website but I am confused if I have to finish my program to get the points or not.

Many thanks in an advance for your attention. I hope to get reply from you soon.

With best regards,
PhD Stream

Today I got the reply as below:

Dear PhDStream: Regulation 83(3) states that the program of study must be completed in order to receive five points for adaptability. Furthermore, OP 6b, section 9.15 states "Award five points if the applicant or accompanying spouse or common-law partner completed a program of full-time study of at least two years' duration at a post-secondary institution in Canada, if this occurred after the age of seventeen and with valid study permits. (The person is not required to have obtained an educational credential for these two years of study in Canada to earn the points, but simply to have completed at least two years of study.)" Completion of a program of study is required to obtain these points.

We trust that the above fully responds to your query.

Conclusion is we are eligible for 5 points for 2 years of PhD study, in progress. I am counting on it. Currently I have 66 points without the 5 points. With this confirmation, I now have 71 point .. so soon I will be applying :). By the way I have been rejected once (applied under CEC on Spet. 2012 with full-time RA and they rejected on Aug 2013 on the basis that they cannot differentiate my RA work and the work for my thesis)

jeffrey2012

Nov 22, 2013
besides, the so called Regulation 83(3) had been repealed already!!!

PhdStream said:
Guys I've something to share with you. On Nov 1, 2013, i emailed CPP-O (at OttPilot-immigration @ cic.gc.ca) regarding 5 points (adaptability factor) for completion of 2 years of PhD study. My email was as below:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing this email in regards to application for Canadian permanent resident under "Federal Skill Worker - Category 3 (as a PhD Student). I am a PhD student at the University of XXX, for last 3 years (full-time student since September 2010). As I have completed more than 2 years of full-time study but have yet completed my program, will I be eligible to get 5 points under selection "Adaptability" factor. I did go through to the FSW guide in your website but I am confused if I have to finish my program to get the points or not.

Many thanks in an advance for your attention. I hope to get reply from you soon.

With best regards,
PhD Stream

Today I got the reply as below:

Dear PhDStream: Regulation 83(3) states that the program of study must be completed in order to receive five points for adaptability. Furthermore, OP 6b, section 9.15 states "Award five points if the applicant or accompanying spouse or common-law partner completed a program of full-time study of at least two years' duration at a post-secondary institution in Canada, if this occurred after the age of seventeen and with valid study permits. (The person is not required to have obtained an educational credential for these two years of study in Canada to earn the points, but simply to have completed at least two years of study.)" Completion of a program of study is required to obtain these points.

We trust that the above fully responds to your query.

Conclusion is we are eligible for 5 points for 2 years of PhD study, in progress. I am counting on it. Currently I have 66 points without the 5 points. With this confirmation, I now have 71 point .. so soon I will be applying :). By the way I have been rejected once (applied under CEC on Spet. 2012 with full-time RA and they rejected on Aug 2013 on the basis that they cannot differentiate my RA work and the work for my thesis)

johnyoung1984

Jun 27, 2012
Dani1982 said:
The more I look at my letter, the more I find my duties match to the lead statement as my supervisor said "he is assisting me in the research activities of the following projects", it means that I assisted him in every research activities happened during these projects like conducting literature review, data analysis, Compile research results, preparation of journal papers, etc. This is way beyond matching to lead statement and if they rejected me for this, that would be so unfair!!!
I just got rejected yesterday. It said my RA/TA does not match the lead statement. I really do not know what is wrong with this now. I actually sent my updated letter this fall, but still I got rejected. How can I appeal in this case?

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
johnyoung1984 said:
I just got rejected yesterday. It said my RA/TA does not match the lead statement. I really do not know what is wrong with this now. I actually sent my updated letter this fall, but still I got rejected. How can I appeal in this case?
Sorry to hear that! I read your old reference letter and even that looks good for me! It is so ridiculous to be rejected even after updating your reference letter.
Unfortunately, there is no way to appeal after the final decision! Send them an email asking if they considered your updated letter or not.

Could you please share your timeline with us? Also please post both of your reference letters to see what went wrong.

Good luck!

David2013

Jul 29, 2013
johnyoung1984 said:
I am sorry to hear that you are rejected.

If you can share us your updated RA letter, we may find out the reason. Did you mention "assist" in your lead statement and duties?

pfau

Nov 18, 2013
Thanks to S_Govind and climate_modell for the helpful words; my apologies for the delay, I'm in the midst of thesis-writing and it's hard to keep my finger on so many things at once.

N_O said:
Which NOC did you choose for the instructor job? Is it 4011?
You can apply for your GCMS notes since now, and once you receive your file number they will send you them, ordering those notes is the best way to figure out what experience they accepted or what adaptability points you got.
Thanks too for these pieces of advice as well, N_O. Indeed I did put 4011 as the relevant NOC. I was a little annoyed because, in terms of this application, it would have been better if I had continued TAing rather than teaching my own classes (!) because I just barely had enough 4012 experience to meet the "one year part time equivalent" requirement before I was offered these lectureships. But going from TA to instructor is more like a promotion than a different career path (especially when one is still completing the Ph.D.); if anything it should be rewarded, not treated as a liability within the Ph.D. stream, but such is the nature of bureaucracies...

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mamali said:
The following is my RA letter, Could you please check it and let me know your comments?
Thank you very much,
Under my supervision, XXX is responsible for conducting engineering research and development in air pollution control. His main duties include literature review, development of research plan, implementation of research plan by theoretical analysis and experimental investigations in the laboratory, data analysis, research documentation, paper writing and other research activities. He may also give public presentations to prestigious international conferences.
Your reference letter must match the lead statement(Post-secondary teaching and research assistants assist university professors, community college and CEGEP teachers and other faculty members in teaching and research activities at universities and colleges.) and include substantial number of main duties mentioned in NOC 4012. (http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/noc/english/noc/2011/Profile.aspx?val=4&val1=4012)

As there is no evidence in your letter that you assist a professor directly in research, your letter misses the lead statement and will be rejected!

Parkinson

Apr 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Apr-2013
Doc's Request.
18-July-2013
AOR Received.
14-May-2013
Med's Request
5-Jun-2014
Passport Req..
27-Jun-2014
VISA ISSUED...
8-July-2014
Guys, I have a question:
Has anybody been rejected after getting "no reportable trace" in criminality?

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Hi

I received the RPRF request today. Does it mean that they accepted the updated letters for work ex. Can one be rejected after RPRF request??

Kindly update the tracker too.

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Stuck In Quebec said:
Hi

I received the RPRF request today. Does it mean that they accepted the updated letters for work ex. Can one be rejected after RPRF request??

Congrats!

In the RPRF email it clearly says that you have been found eligible for the class that you have submitted. They have accepted your updated work experience letters.

You will receive your medical soon

Stuck In Quebec

Jul 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
complicated
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
17-04-2013
AOR Received.
08-11-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
08-11-2012
Med's Request
23-11-2013
Med's Done....
29-11-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
16-01-3014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
beh467 said:
Congrats!

In the RPRF email it clearly says that you have been found eligible for the class that you have submitted. They have accepted your updated work experience letters.

You will receive your medical soon
Thanks beh467 for the reply. Hopefully what you said is true and I get the medical request soon.

TyrusX

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2012
Doc's Request.
sent with application
AOR Received.
First: -03-2012
IELTS Request
sent with application
Stuck In Quebec said:
Hi

One can be rejected at any moment before landing, landing included. If the custom officer decides that you misrepresented yourself or intended to commit a crime or not settle in Canada he can reject you during the landing procedure. It is rare but it may happen.