+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

informer2000

Star Member
Oct 6, 2008
vasyok said:
Probably many of us are IEEE members, so what did you write here, especially in the column 'Activities and/or positions held within organization'? The only reason I enrolled in is the discount that comes with the membership :) I do not participate in activities or have any position... Should I just type "NONE"?
Just type Student Member. I wrote ACM and IEEE along with other memberships. I don't think it matters much or that they would care about it. But at least you will not be misrepresenting in case they actually do check these things. And of course use the full name, not just the acronym.

unruffledterry

Star Member
Aug 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-0
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-04-2014
Doc's Request.
06-10-2014
AOR Received.
29-04-2014
File Transfer...
29-04-2014
Med's Request
07-10-2014
Med's Done....
20-10-2014
Hi I have a question please. I am a PhD law student. Just started my 3rd year. I have full time work experience as a supervisor in a different field here in Canada. This experience would come under an NOC classification. Can I still apply using that experience even though it is not related to law?
Thanks a lot for your anticipated response.

mab20202

Oct 7, 2013
Hi guys

I am about to send my application package under phd stream, got 2 questions;

1- In schedule 3, Question 9a, Work in Canada says:
a) Check the appropriate box to indicate whether you have worked full-time in Canada in the past for at least one
year in an occupation that is listed in Skill Type 0, Skill Level A or B of NOC 2011.
I want to answer to this question as: "yes",
since I had a work experience of research & teaching assistanships in Canada. Is that okay?

2- Should we pay the fees online or we just include the hard-copy payment form?
If online, where is the link?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Dani1982

Star Member
Nov 17, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2012
Nomination.....
26-09-2012
aidina said:
What is your due date?
Originally it was September 26th (Eligibility, security, medical and criminality), but the new assignment due date is October 1st.

vasyok

Star Member
Aug 14, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mab20202 said:
Hi guys

a) Check the appropriate box to indicate whether you have worked full-time in Canada in the past for at least one
year in an occupation that is listed in Skill Type 0, Skill Level A or B of NOC 2011.
since I had a work experience of research & teaching assistanships in Canada. Is that okay?

1) you must be careful with claiming _full-time_ previous work. You need some form of authorization for that (work permit, post grad work permit, etc.) Do you want to claim you RA or TA as full-time? Anyway, you might want to wait to reply from experienced members of the forum.

2) You cannot pay 'processing fee" online. A fee payment form is in the doc checklist and you must include it. If you apply within Canada (live here, VO is CPP-O), then in future you might be able to pay Right of permanent residency fee online.

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mab20202 said:
Hi guys

1- You can check that box only if you meet these requirements in the page 26 of operation manual (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06c-eng.pdf):

"Award ten points if the principal applicant completed at least one year of full-time work in Canada authorized under a work permit or under R186 in an occupation that is listed in Skill Type 0 (Managerial
occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of the NOC."

This the document regarding R186 (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/fw/fw01-eng.pdf)

Also, you should be careful about claiming full-time RA because CIO has rejected one person recently because of this. Read the post by ojohn22 (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/applicant-from-phd-program-after-5-nov-2011-connect-here-to-get-status-t87348.9420.html). So, it is safe to claim 15-20 hours of RA.

2- You can find the fee payment information in this form: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5620E.pdf

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
unruffledterry said:
Hi I have a question please. I am a PhD law student. Just started my 3rd year. I have full time work experience as a supervisor in a different field here in Canada. This experience would come under an NOC classification. Can I still apply using that experience even though it is not related to law?
Thanks a lot for your anticipated response.
Yes, you can use that as your work experience. For PhD stream the field of experience is not important. The only condition is that your experience should be skill type 0 (managerial occupations) or
skill level A (professional occupations) or skill level B (technical occupations and skilled trades)

beh467

May 2, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
geo909 said:
Many thanks for your feedback and examples of TA/RA letters; that helps.

EDIT: Another question, a quick one: I have completed my undergraduate degree in Greece, however I completed a full-time 2-year-long
Master's degree from a Canadian university in 2010. Do I need a Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Report for my undergraduate
degree? From the wording of the guide, I assume that I only need to submit my Master's degree from the Canadian university and thus
do need the ECA. Am I right?

Thanks in advance
As far as I know, if your highest degree is from Canada you don't need to do the ECA.

mab20202

Oct 7, 2013
Thanks to vasyok & beh467 for their response to my questions, appreciated.
I have another question now.

I am a 3rd year phd student in Canada, and going to apply under phd stream.
I am hoping that I get minimum 9 points out of 1 year work experience to reach the pass mark 67.
Since I dont have 1 year work experience in other occupations, do you think I will get those 9 points
for my Research & Teaching assitantships in Canada during the last 2 years?

Thanks again!

Sthind

Jun 4, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
4012 and 4021
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 15, 2013
Doc's Request.
July 25 2014
Med's Request
July 25 2014
Med's Done....
Aug 11 2014
Passport Req..
Aug. 22 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Sep 19 2014
LANDED..........
Sep 23 2014
yesterday I got my application package back and the reason why they returned it is "Your letter of attestation does not bear the college/university seal/stamp of the issuing Canadian education institution." :mad: :mad:

My letter is on the letterhead of the Graduate studies and signed by the Dean of graduate studies with the exact template we can find on the CIC website. I really dont think you need a stamp on the official letterhead.

Any suggestion friends ??

aidina

Nov 21, 2012
Sthind said:
yesterday I got my application package back and the reason why they returned it is "Your letter of attestation does not bear the college/university seal/stamp of the issuing Canadian education institution." :mad: :mad:

My letter is on the letterhead of the Graduate studies and signed by the Dean of graduate studies with the exact template we can find on the CIC website. I really dont think you need a stamp on the official letterhead.

Any suggestion friends ??
This is what they want. Just comply :).

nasim2

Oct 2, 2013
Hello

I have a question about username HTC2013. He got his PER on Feb 12th 2013 and his medical on Jun 28th 2013.
I got my PER on Feb 18th 2013 and still no news. I am started to be worried.
Is this a mistake in the excel file or he is so lucky?

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
nasim2 said:
Hello

I have a question about username HTC2013. He got his PER on Feb 12th 2013 and his medical on Jun 28th 2013.
I got my PER on Feb 18 2013 too. I don't think you have to worry, as you can see in the spreadsheet, with a couple of exceptions, they almost stopped requesting documents right before me. Hopefully we hear from them very soon.

The_Prince

Oct 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
Doc's Request.
POF: 21-03-2014
Nomination.....
PER: 18-02-2013
IELTS Request
CELPIP (sent with application)
Med's Request
28-03-2014
Med's Done....
31-03-2014
Passport Req..
21-05-2014
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2014
LANDED..........
13-06-2014
nasim2 said:
Hello

By the way, I don't see you username in the spreadsheet.

nasim2

Oct 2, 2013
My user name is Nasim2, I am in the January, because I send my application in Jan 7th and PER by CIO in Feb18th

The_Prince said:
By the way, I don't see you username in the spreadsheet.