+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applicant from PhD program after 5 Nov, 2011 connect here to get status

GrTak

Jan 23, 2013
Hello everyone,

I haven't been checking this forum for a long time now. I got my POF request in January, 2013 and sent it to Ottawa in February. I haven't heard from them yet. I was wondering if you could tell me how Ottawa sends applicants the medical request. Do they send it by email?

Thanks in advance!

a_nashed

Star Member
May 12, 2012
good idea (y)
kg.jadu said:
Dear fellow forum users,

Me and N_O created a document containing successful reference letters for the PhD stream. It is available at http://goo.gl/47qIZF. I also included the link into my signature, and hopefully, some of you will do that, too, to help each other locate critical information faster. This shared document is intended to help people prepare/update the letters of reference and reduce the rate of rejections. Please contact me or N_O to have your letter of reference added to the document if you wish so.

-kg.jadu

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
GrTak said:
Hello everyone,

I haven't been checking this forum for a long time now. I got my POF request in January, 2013 and sent it to Ottawa in February. I haven't heard from them yet. I was wondering if you could tell me how Ottawa sends applicants the medical request. Do they send it by email?

Thanks in advance!
It seems that you are the only applicant in April 2012 who hasn't received the medical request or the rejection! Did you order your GCMS notes? It is the best way to see what is happening there!
Good Luck!

N_O

Mar 5, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-04-2013
AOR Received.
22-04-2013(PER)
a_nashed said:
good idea (y)
Would you like to share your successful reference letter?

S_Govind

Apr 15, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-08-2012
Doc's Request.
15-04-2013
Nomination.....
01-11-2012 (Date of PER)
IELTS Request
Enclosed with the application
File Transfer...
01-11-2012 from CIO to CPP-O
Med's Request
23-11-2013 (RPRF requested on 22-11-2013)
Med's Done....
26-11-2013 Med's Received:06-01-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-01-2014, Decision Made:09-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
06-01-2014
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Gloryintoronto said:
Let say you have done 100% of the duties mentioned under Teaching assistantship but 0% under Research assistantship, can you still qualify?
You cannot satisfy the requirement of having one year of continuous work experience with just the Teaching Assistantship as TA positions are discontinuous (not offered during summer). RA is continuous and hence you could get through even without claiming TA . In any case, you would have to perform atleast a substantial number of duties (not 100%) and the essential duties (assisting faculty members) under each category

meyakanor

Jul 26, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
16-02-2012
Doc's Request.
26-02-2013
AOR Received.
21-03-2012
Med's Request
21-03-2013
Passport Req..
16-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-04-2013
LANDED..........
16-05-2013
MJ2 said:
Guys I came to a question regardin R75 (2.1)
This regulation reads that
"If a professional body has been designated for the primary occupation identified by the foreign national in their application, the foreign diploma, certificate or credential submitted by the foreign national must be relevant to that occupation"
So, my first question is that if there is any professional body for NOC4012?
Also, let's say I got my Msc in Mech Eng. Is my master's degree "RELEVANT" to NOC4012?
Hi MJ2,

I think that particular passage refers mostly to regulated professions, which, I don't think, is applicable to NOC 4012 (well, most of the cases anyway). If you quote R75(2.1) in its entirety, then you will get a fuller picture

If a professional body has been designated under subsection (4) in respect of the occupation identified by the foreign national in their application as their primary occupation, the foreign diploma, certificate or credential submitted by the foreign national must be relevant to that occupation and the equivalency assessment — which must be less than five years old on the date on which their application is made and must be issued by the designated professional body — must establish that the foreign diploma, certificate or credential is equivalent to the Canadian educational credential required to practise that occupation in at least one of the provinces in which the equivalency assessments issued by this professional body are recognized.
So basically if your profession is regulated, then this must be reflected on your credential too, which will need to be evaluated as such after credential evaluation.

S_Govind said:
You cannot satisfy the requirement of having one year of continuous work experience with just the Teaching Assistantship as TA positions are discontinuous (not offered during summer). RA is continuous and hence you could get through even without claiming TA . In any case, you would have to perform atleast a substantial number of duties (not 100%) and the essential duties (assisting faculty members) under each category
Yes, TA is often case not continuous.

But let's say you satisfy the continuous requirement through work experience back home or somewhere else, then however many hours you get from TA can be added to your total number of hours, even if it sums up to less than one full-time year.

GrTak

Jan 23, 2013
Thanks N.O. How do I order my GCMS notes? Does Ottawa send the rejection letter or medical request by email?

N_O said:
It seems that you are the only applicant in April 2012 who hasn't received the medical request or the rejection! Did you order your GCMS notes? It is the best way to see what is happening there!
Good Luck!

Houra

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GrTak said:
Thanks N.O. How do I order my GCMS notes? Does Ottawa send the rejection letter or medical request by email?
Order it here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-personal.asp under the privacy act.

Yes, if you have provided an email address in your application, all correspondence will be through email.

a_nashed

Star Member
May 12, 2012
my letter was similar to yours, except it was signed from my supervisor, not the department

To whom it may concern:

This is to document that Mr. FULL NAME has more xxxx years of professional research experience in the field of xxxxx.
I have known NAME since YEAR, when he joined the research group at the department of DEPT. + UNIVERSITY, as a Research Assistant under my supervision. Before that, Mr NAME was PREVIOUS WORK. Since then, NAME was assigned and completed many excellent research projects with me and with other researchers in the group. Mr NAME was working for almost 30 hour per week and was paid XXXCAD annually . During his work in our group, NAME’s duties include:
• Conduct literature reviews, surveys, laboratory experiments and other research for use in scholarly publications
• Design YOUR PROJECT HERE
• Design and conduct experimental XXX
• Assessment and customization of lab equipment
• Compile research results and assist in the analysis of results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.

This letter serves to confirm Mr. NAME’s continuous years of work here at the department of DEPT + UNIVERSITY since YEAR.

Sincerely,
SUPERVISOR sign

the letter MUST be printed on the university official paper

hope this may help
Thanks

N_O said:
Would you like to share your successful reference letter?

David2013

Jul 29, 2013
Dear Friends,

I have applied for PR on September 2012 under PhD stream. On March 2013 I got an email that asks me to send them POF and PhD info. I have submitted all of requested documents and also an updated reference letter (RA letter with lead statement) on April 2013.
Base on your recommendations, I ordered a CAIPS note last month an I got it today morning. Based on their assessment I got only 49 points :(( Language: 14 points, Age: 10 points, and education: 25 points).
It's amazing because I have an aunt in Canada and I have provided all of related documents in my application to proof of having a relative in Canada who is citizen of Canada and living in Canada. But they did not give me any points for adaptability. In adaptability section it is mentioned that:
Spouse's education: 0
relative in Canada: Points:
Previous study in Canada: NO Points: 0
Previous Work in Canada: NO Points: 0
Arranged employment: 0
Adaptability point: 0

Also in SCHEDULE INFO section it is mentioned :
Relative in Canada:pA
Relationship to relative in Canada: Aunt/Uncle

Also there is a note on my file on 9 May 2013 about my work experience as follows:

I have analyzed this application against the selection criteria for Federal Skileed Workers and make the following recommendations : Age 26=10 points Education: Master degree from *** University. From application form ,PA claims more than 17 years of education. Points = 25. Work experience: qualifiying period:7SEP02 to 7SEP12. PA claims following work experience: 1) Research Assistant (NOC4012) from SEP10 to SEP12 at University of***. PA submitted a letter of reference dated 28 AUG12 which listed duties that do not match the lead statement and there is no indication that PA assissted a faculty membe. 2) Civil Engineer (NOC2131) from AUG08 to AUG10 at *** company. PA submitted a letter of reference dated 13JUN12 which listed duties that match the lead statement but not a substantial number of main duties; PA performed actions that match 3 of 14 main duties. PA has an equivalent of 0 years of work experience, less 1 year=0 points Applicant does not appear to meet R75(2)

It's amazing that they just considered my old RA letter (which issued on 28 AUG2012). It is mentioned that they revived my updated RA letter on 24APR2013 but they did not consider my updated one in assessment

Do you have any recommendation? what can I do now?

Houra

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
David2013 said:
Dear Friends,

I have applied for PR on September 2012 under PhD stream. On March 2013 I got an email that asks me to send them POF and PhD info. I have submitted all of requested documents and also an updated reference letter (RA letter with lead statement) on April 2013.
Base on your recommendations, I ordered a CAIPS note last month an I got it today morning. Based on their assessment I got only 49 points :(( Language: 14 points, Age: 10 points, and education: 25 points).
It's amazing because I have an aunt in Canada and I have provided all of related documents in my application to proof of having a relative in Canada who is citizen of Canada and living in Canada. But they did not give me any points for adaptability. In adaptability section it is mentioned that:

Also there is a note on my file on 9 May 2013 about my work experience as follows:

I have analyzed this application against the selection criteria for Federal Skileed Workers and make the following recommendations : Age 26=10 points Education: Master degree from *** University. From application form ,PA claims more than 17 years of education. Points = 25. Work experience: qualifiying period:7SEP02 to 7SEP12. PA claims following work experience: 1) Research Assistant (NOC4012) from SEP10 to SEP12 at University of***. PA submitted a letter of reference dated 28 AUG12 which listed duties that do not match the lead statement and there is no indication that PA assissted a faculty membe. 2) Civil Engineer (NOC2131) from AUG08 to AUG10 at *** company. PA submitted a letter of reference dated 13JUN12 which listed duties that match the lead statement but not a substantial number of main duties; PA performed actions that match 3 of 14 main duties. PA has an equivalent of 0 years of work experience, less 1 year=0 points Applicant does not appear to meet R75(2)

It's amazing that they just considered my old RA letter (which issued on 28 AUG2012). It is mentioned that they revived my updated RA letter on 24APR2013 but they did not consider my updated one in assessment

Send an updated reference letter from your school as soon as possible, before you get rejected. Samples of successful reference letters are here: http://goo.gl/47qIZF

You seem to also depend on your adaptability points from your aunt to get 67 points. Send more documents proving your relationship with your aunt.

By the way, May I ask where you are from? They asked you for PhD info, so I guess Iranian?

kuzey

Star Member
Oct 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-05-2012
Doc's Request.
06-02-2013
Med's Request
14-06-2013
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Passport Req..
06-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2013
LANDED..........
29-08-2013
- Most probably you will be given the adaptability points in the final assessment. This is not interpretable and they must give you the adaptability points as long as you provided the required documentation.

- About the work experience letter I think you have to first make sure that your updated letter has every thing they needed. I updated my letter five times. I believe that you can take two actions in parallel:

- First send them a polite email to inquire about whether they receive your updated letter or not.
- Second, prepare another letter (If you can) and send them again. Email them and send a hard copy at the same day to them. Make sure that your letter is consistent with the letter that you sent to them in the first place and just add the magical phrases and too much details to it.

This is my opinion. I believe that the other fellow members can help you better in this case.

Good Luck

David2013 said:
Dear Friends,

David2013

Jul 29, 2013
Send an updated reference letter from your school as soon as possible, before you get rejected. Samples of successful reference letters are here

You seem to also depend on your adaptability points from your aunt to get 67 points. Send more documents proving your relationship with your aunt.

By the way, May I ask where you are from? They asked you for PhD info, so I guess Iranian?

[/quote]

Thanks for your answer. About work experience letter, I plan to prepare and send a new updated reference letter. how ever my previous one contained the lead statement.
For proving my relationship with my aunt which other documents can I send? I have already send them birth certificate of mine, my father, and my aunt, copy of PR card and Canadian passport of my aunt, and also several bills of bank account of my aunt.
Ye, you are trye, I am Iranian :D

David2013

Jul 29, 2013
kuzey said:
- Most probably you will be given the adaptability points in the final assessment. This is not interpretable and they must give you the adaptability points as long as you provided the required documentation.

- About the work experience letter I think you have to first make sure that your updated letter has every thing they needed. I updated my letter five times. I believe that you can take two actions in parallel:

- First send them a polite email to inquire about whether they receive your updated letter or not.
- Second, prepare another letter (If you can) and send them again. Email them and send a hard copy at the same day to them. Make sure that your letter is consistent with the letter that you sent to them in the first place and just add the magical phrases and too much details to it.

This is my opinion. I believe that the other fellow members can help you better in this case.

Good Luck
Thanks, I hope so that they give me adaptability points for having relative in Canada.

About work experience, it is mentioned in my CAIPS note that they received my updated reference letter ( I have sent updated reference letter in by email and also Express post of Canada post).
Also I plan to prepare and send a new updated reference letter. Can I write a cover letter and explain for them that they did not assess my file correctly? what's your opinion?

Houra

Star Member
Feb 5, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for your answer. About work experience letter, I plan to prepare and send a new updated reference letter. how ever my previous one contained the lead statement.
For proving my relationship with my aunt which other documents can I send? I have already send them birth certificate of mine, my father, and my aunt, copy of PR card and Canadian passport of my aunt, and also several bills of bank account of my aunt.
Ye, you are trye, I am Iranian :D
Did it contain the lead statement and substantial number of duties? Did you clearly say you "assisted professors"?
The assessment may have been before your updated letter got attached to your file. In my case, it took them over 2 weeks to attach the updated letter to my file. Even though your note says the letter was received on Apr24, it may not have been attached to your file by May9 when the assessment was made.

Anyway, it doesn't hurt to send another letter. Make it even more comprehensive this time. Be sure not to contradict the previous letters.

For your adaptability, you seem to have sent all possible documents. I think kuzey is right, you will probably get the points at the final assessment.